Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Posole soup

1 medium onion, chopped
6 medium cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
2 TBS fresh lime juice
3 cups kale rinsed and chopped fine (remove stems)
2 cups canned hominy, drained
1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz)
1 can diced green chili (4 oz)
3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse kale and remove stems. Chop fine.
2. Heat 1 TBS broth in medium sized soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth
over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent. Add
garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add remaining ingredients
except cilantro. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil,
reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Add
cilantro, salt and pepper.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 6 medium cloves garlic, chopped
> 4 cups + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
> 2 TBS fresh lime juice
> 3 cups kale rinsed and chopped fine (remove stems)
> 2 cups canned hominy, drained
> 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz)
> 1 can diced green chili (4 oz)
> 3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
> salt and pepper to taste
> 1. Rinse kale and remove stems. Chop fine.
> 2. Heat 1 TBS broth in medium sized soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth
> over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent. Add
> garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add remaining ingredients
> except cilantro. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil,
> reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Add
> cilantro, salt and pepper.

Interesting recipe, in that it calls for no pork. That which I am used
to (and frequently make) has pork shoulder in it.... and a rich, dark
broth. I also serve and eat mine with shredded cabbage, chopped chiles
and radishes on top. Except for a version (posole blanco) sometimes
served in taquerias I frequent, all posole I have ever had was a pork
and hominy soup. Posole is my favorite weekend lunch treat. Now that
you mention it, it may appear this coming Saturday... shrimp gumbo is
tonight.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Tyler wrote:
> Gunner wrote:

<<recipe snipped>>

> Interesting recipe, in that it calls for no pork. That which I am used
> to (and frequently make) has pork shoulder in it.... and a rich, dark
> broth.

I use some combination of pork shoulder, raw pork hocks (not smoked),
and pork neck bones, depending on what's available at the time.

> I also serve and eat mine with shredded cabbage, chopped chiles
> and radishes on top.

I got the idea from Rick Bayless to use Napa cabbage, and that's good
for an add-on. Besides what you use, I'll have chopped cilantro and
green onions.

> Except for a version (posole blanco) sometimes
> served in taquerias I frequent, all posole I have ever had was a pork
> and hominy soup.

I got spoiled living in New Mexico, where I could get both dried and
moist nixtamal in the grocery stores. I now stock up on the dried
version everytime I get back there. There's an earthier flavor than
what I've been able to find in canned hominy. I have yet to try making
my own nixtamal, but I keep thinking about it. Maybe the corn that deer
hunters use around here would be the stuff to use.

> Posole is my favorite weekend lunch treat. Now that
> you mention it, it may appear this coming Saturday... shrimp gumbo is
> tonight.

Another of my favorite soup/stews.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Gunner wrote:
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 6 medium cloves garlic, chopped
> 4 cups + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
> 2 TBS fresh lime juice
> 3 cups kale rinsed and chopped fine (remove stems)
> 2 cups canned hominy, drained
> 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz)
> 1 can diced green chili (4 oz)
> 3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
> salt and pepper to taste
> 1. Rinse kale and remove stems. Chop fine.
> 2. Heat 1 TBS broth in medium sized soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth
> over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent. Add
> garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add remaining ingredients
> except cilantro. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil,
> reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Add
> cilantro, salt and pepper.

Interesting recipe, in that it calls for no pork. That which I am used
to (and frequently make) has pork shoulder in it.... and a rich, dark
broth. I also serve and eat mine with shredded cabbage, chopped chiles
and radishes on top. Except for a version (posole blanco) sometimes
served in taquerias I frequent, all posole I have ever had was a pork
and hominy soup. Posole is my favorite weekend lunch treat. Now that
you mention it, it may appear this coming Saturday... shrimp gumbo is
tonight.

Jack

Jack, This is but one of many Posole recipes I have in my MasterCook
recipe book. I just grabbed this one didn't notice the lack of the protien
of choice. I like pork Butt.

This is just a Chicken soup for the soul. My husband in law (wife's ex)
makes one with mostly pork broth base an NM Air Guard friend of his taught
him in ABQ.

Got some blue corn hominy ordered to play around with. I am going to make a
special New Years batch this year.

I used to make a Posole when in Italy from Van Camps hominy and Old El Paso
Enchiilda sauce, when I could get to a Military Commissary. That was all I
could get. Certainly not like fresh ingredients but we make do with what we
have don't we?

BTW there are some Forest Firefighters up here that "maded up" a new recipe
called "White Chili" using chicken, chile and hominy. I don't have the
heart to tell them .
I do so love Gumbo, but my wife does not, so I only make 3-4 times a year.
Like Posole I only know how to make it in 12-15 qt sizes. Are there any
similar dishes to Gumbo in Mexico that you know of? I will search the
Caribbean for one similar.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Jack Tyler" > wrote in message

Are there any
> similar dishes to Gumbo in Mexico that you know of? I will search the
> Caribbean for one similar.

My preference in gumbo is Cajun gumbo, with a really dark roux. It
certainly takes a lot longer to make due to the length of time and
constant stirring it takes to make a good roux. It's worth the time,
though. The Creole version... heavy on tomatoes and okra (I use okra,
also), is OK, but I really enjoy the Cajun version with its smoky dark,
thick broth. I make gumbo like they do near New Iberia in South
Louisiana, where they make Tabasco Sauce (which must have a presence in
real Cajun gumbo). I had "gumbo" in Maryland one time and that was a
serious mistake. Clear broth... no balls. I also make Duck and
Andouillie Sausage gumbo, as well as a Chicken and Sausage gumbo. But,
then, I also have injected and deep-fried my Christmes turkeys since
1980. Coonass-at-heart.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
Are there any
> similar dishes to Gumbo in Mexico that you know of? I will search the
> Caribbean for one similar.

I forgot to answer the question, I got so wrapped up in Gumbo. My
reason for saying all of that about the differences in Creole and Cajun
gumbo was to say that IF there is anything like it in Mexico, it will
probably be closer to the Creole version than the Cajun version.

Creole gumbo is really not much different from a lot of seafood... and
chicken-based soups found in Mexico, though. It's when you get a good
smoky roux like a Cajun Gumbo going that I don't remember anything like
it in Mexico.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Gunner wrote:
> Are there any
>> similar dishes to Gumbo in Mexico that you know of? I will search the
>> Caribbean for one similar.

> I forgot to answer the question, I got so wrapped up in Gumbo. My
> reason for saying all of that about the differences in Creole and Cajun
> gumbo was to say that IF there is anything like it in Mexico, it will
> probably be closer to the Creole version than the Cajun version.
>
> Creole gumbo is really not much different from a lot of seafood... and
> chicken-based soups found in Mexico, though. It's when you get a good
> smoky roux like a Cajun Gumbo going that I don't remember anything like
> it in Mexico.
>
> Jack

Jack perhaps you could tell folks the difference in what you are saying
about Creole and Cajun. A Blonde Roux and a Dark Roux. I do not believe
many here understand how this and the actual word Creole relates to the
Hispanic influence of the Caribbean and Mexican region.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> Jack perhaps you could tell folks the difference in what you are saying
> about Creole and Cajun. A Blonde Roux and a Dark Roux. I do not believe
> many here understand how this and the actual word Creole relates to the
> Hispanic influence of the Caribbean and Mexican region.

The best thing I can do, Gunner, is give a couple of examples of
recipes. I really have felt that the difference between Creole and
Cajun was more due the French influence in the New Orleans area, than
the Spanish. However, as is stated in what I think may be the
definitive Creole Gumbo from Antoine's in NOLA, it is closer to a
Bouillabaisse than a gumbo. Note the absence of roux (flour and oil):

Creole Gumbo
by Antoine's Restaurant

The Bouillabaisse of Louisiana appears in many forms. Antoine's is the
classic Creole seafood gumbo.

Ingredients:
- 3/4 stick butter
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 2 cups raw peeled shrimp
- 2 cups raw oysters
- 1 cup chopped tomato pulp
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 quarts Fish Stock
- 3 crabs (top shell discard, cut into 4 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon File (sassafras)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- salt, pepper, and cayenne

Directions:
Melt the butter and sauté the green onions, okra, white onions and
crabs. In a separate pot put the shrimp, oysters, tomatoes and tomato
juice with 1 1/2 quarts of Fish Stock and bring to a boil. Let boil for
a minute, then add to the first pot. In a small skillet cook the butter
and flour together until brown. Blend this brown roux with the File and
some of the gumbo liquid and add to the gumbo. Add salt and pepper and
cayenne to taste. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

To serve, pour 1 1/2 cups of gumbo into each bowl over 1/2 cup rice.
Serves 6.

Now, following is a common recipe for Cajun Gumbo. For chicken gumbo,
I use canned chicken stock and for seafood gumbo, I boil shrimp heads
and tails for a seafood stock rather than merely water, but that's up
to you:

CAJUN GUMBO

1 onion chopped
1 green bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
1 cup of chopped celery

Prepare the "trinity" first (above ingredients) and set aside. Prepare
preferred meat sausage, chicken, etc, or if choosing seafood, shrimp,
oysters, crab meat, crawfish, etc. Prepare and set aside.

1 cup cooking oil or shortening
1 cup flour
2 quarts warm water (or appropriate seafood or chicken stock)
2 teaspoons Tabasco brand pepper sauce (I prefer Tabasco, as it is made
in South Louisiana).
1 tablespoon Zatarain's Creole (don't let the word "Creole" fool you
seasoning is the same) or Tony Chachere's
2 cups okra, cleaned and sliced
3 to 4 cups rice

An authentic Cajun gumbo is prepared with a dark roux, as are most all
Cajun dishes. In a 6 or 8 quart stew pot (black iron is preferred but
whatever you have will suffice) mix 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour.
Place over medium heat and stir continuously.

NOTE: If you stop stirring it will stick and you will have to start
over. Be sure to go over the entire bottom of the pot while stirring.
The flour will begin to change color from white, to tan, to orange, to
red, to light brown, to dark brown, then finally to black.

For this recipe, medium to dark brown is what is needed. This takes 10
to 15 minutes.

At this point, dump in the onion, celery and bell pepper and cook till
the onion starts to clear. Add the meat at this time, but not your
seafood.

Cook until meat starts to brown, then stir in warm water and
seasonings. You are looking for a thicker-than-soup consistency but not
as thick as stew. Add more or less water to achieve this. Bring to a
simmering boil.

Add the okra and seafood of your choice. Cook for one hour. (I don't
cook MY shrimp this long).

Prepare rice and serve over white rice in a bowl. Salt and pepper to
taste and the Cajuns would add a little dash of File' (Ground
sassafras) or you can use thyme, finely ground (but not as good).

While I don't know the historical basis for the difference in the two
recipes, the two recipes are a true illustration of classic Creole and
classic Cajun approaches to a dish like gumbo.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Is Antoine's still around after Katrina? I had the great pleasure of eating
there once back in 1974... Pampano a Papillote and will never forget it. A
party of four of us and the waiter never wrote a single thing on paper.
Everything delivered with military precision and worth a king's ransom in
value. What a place!!!

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Gunner wrote:
> [...]

the onion starts to clear. Add the meat at this time, but not your
seafood.

Cook until meat starts to brown, then stir in warm water and
seasonings. You are looking for a thicker-than-soup consistency but not
as thick as stew. Add more or less water to achieve this. Bring to a
simmering boil.

Add the okra and seafood of your choice. Cook for one hour. (I don't
cook MY shrimp this long).

Prepare rice and serve over white rice in a bowl. Salt and pepper to
taste and the Cajuns would add a little dash of File' (Ground
sassafras) or you can use thyme, finely ground (but not as good).

While I don't know the historical basis for the difference in the two
recipes, the two recipes are a true illustration of classic Creole and
classic Cajun approaches to a dish like gumbo.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> Is Antoine's still around after Katrina? I had the great pleasure of eating
> there once back in 1974... Pampano a Papillote and will never forget it. A
> party of four of us and the waiter never wrote a single thing on paper.
> Everything delivered with military precision and worth a king's ransom in
> value. What a place!!!

It appears to be open. The website is up and going and it is listed in
several other websites as a NOLA restaurant.

Jack