Barry Popik

Default German chocolate cake (12 April 1957, Commerce, Texas)

I might as well re-post my "German Chocolate Cake" here. It's an
interesting story...Maybe I'll re-post my "Chess pie" (1866) and
"Osgood pie" (1911) posts of earlier today...Andy Smith wonders when
I'll publish a dictionary. If anyone wants to marry me and be
co-author, let me know.

Barry Popik
New York, NY

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:50:52 EDT
Sender: American Dialect Society Mailing List

Comments: cc: ,

Comments: To:

There's a nice "German Chocolate Cake" from 12 April 1957,
Commerce,
Texas, on Newspaperarchive. If the recipe appeared in the fall of
1957 in the
DALLAS MORNING NEWS, that's too late.
Of course, the New York Public Library gets the DALLAS MORNING NEWS
from
1958. Of course.
The "German Chocolate Cake" story is famous, but I'll give also the
popular version below.

(GOOGLE)
Is there anyone who does not like chocolate?... A Texas homemaker sent
the
recipe for German's chocolate cake to a Dallas newspaper in the fall
of 1957, or
so say Kraft Foods, who now own the brand. ...
chef2chef.net/features/cynthia/article/2003-08.htm - 21k - Cached -
Similar
pages

(GOOGLE)
Delicious German Chocolate Cake
.... A Texas homemaker sent the recipe for German's chocolate cake to a
Dallas
newspaper in the fall of 1957, according to Kraft Foods.The cake's
name comes
from ...
ba.food - Jun 28, 1999 by Computer Lab - View Thread (12 articles)

(GOOGLE)
http://www.kitchenproject.com/html/I...ly_German.html

Is German Chocolate Cake Really German?

In America there is a very popular cake called German Chocolate Cake.
It is
not German at all (Nicht Deutcher),

But it has an interesting history A recipe for "German's Chocolate
Cake"
first appeared in a Dallas, Texas newspaper in 1957. That it was sent
in by a
Dallas homemaker is all we know, according to Patricia Riso, a
spokeswomen for
Kraft foods . It used a brand of chocolate bar called "German's" which
had been
developed
in 1852, by an Englishman named Sam German, for Baker's Chocolate
Company.
The cake had an immediate and enthusiastic response, and requests
about where to
find the German's chocolate bar were so numerous that General Foods
(who
owned Baker's Chocolate) decided to send pictures of the cake to
newspapers all
around the country.Everywhere the recipe had the same response and the
sales for
the chocolate exploded. Now the cake is a regular item in bakeries
across the
country, and
a mix is on the grocery shelves also. It was my favorite cake when I
was
growing up and I requested it for my birthday every year.

The cake most likely didn't originate from this Dallas housewife.
Buttermilk chocolate cakes have been popular in the south for
over 70 years, and Pecans are plentiful in the area also, to
make the nice frosting. German's chocolate is similar to a milk
chocolate and sweeter than regular baking chocolate.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Daily Journal Friday, April 12, 1957 Commerce, Texas
....Corn Mixed Greens Deviled Eggs GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE Corn Bread
Loaf
Bread.....White Sauce Apple. Carrot Raisin Salad CHOCOLATE Pie Hot
Biscuts Milk
Butter..
Pg. 2, col. 3:
_Cafeteria Lists_
_Four-Day Menus_
Menus at the Commerce public school cafeteria for the week April
15-18
have been announced as follows:
(...)
_Thursday_