jonathan.west1

Default mastic

Does anyone have any recipes using the Greek spice Mastic? Pistaccia spp.

Just got hold of some and keen to try it.

This mail has been checked by Symantec anti-virus programme, with regular
updates.

David Friedman

In article >,
"jonathan.west1" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any recipes using the Greek spice Mastic? Pistaccia spp.
>
> Just got hold of some and keen to try it.

There is a recipe using mastic in _Soup for the Qan_, which is a very
old Chinese cookbook. Mastic appears in medieval Islamic cooking--for
instance in Buraniya, Tuffahiya, Naranjiya and Madira, all of which can
be found in the webbed recipes from the _Miscellany_ (a book my wife and
I self-publish) at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Mediev...sc9recipes.pdf

Use mastic in very small quantities.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid
Bob (this one)

jonathan.west1 wrote:

> Does anyone have any recipes using the Greek spice Mastic? Pistaccia spp.
>
> Just got hold of some and keen to try it.

A quick search came up with a couple recipes using mastic:
<http://tinyurl.com/27qks>

Check a confection in English called "Turkish Delight." Also called
(by different spellings because it's transliterated) loukoum, lukoum,
rakkat loukoum, rahat loukoum...

<http://www.recipecottage.com/candy/turkish-delight13.html>
<http://www.recipegoldmine.com/glossary/glossaryM.html>
<http://www.low-carb-recipes.ws/Halkoum_Turkish_Delight_.html>
<http://home.wanadoo.nl/ml.kauwgom/history.htm>

Gotta go now, but this has been interesting. Happy mastic...

Pastorio