Jon

Default Apicius

Does anyone know of a website that has an online version of Apicius's book
but in English? As a non latin speaker,I'm finding it a bit difficult!!

Thanks people!!

Opinicus

"Jon" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a website that has an online version of Apicius's book
> but in English?

I think all of the existing English translations are still covered by
copyright so it's unlikely you'll find a complete text on the internet. You
can find many examples of individual recipes and adaptations however. Just
do a Google search on "Apicius".

> As a non latin speaker,I'm finding it a bit difficult!!

As a non-Latin speaker (are there any of them left?) you should find it a
lot more than a bit difficult. For someone who minored in Latin in college
and holds a teaching certificate in the language (me), it's pretty hard
going just to read it. Apicius was not the most lucid of authors.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Olivers

Opinicus muttered....

> "Jon" > wrote in message

>> As a non latin speaker,I'm finding it a bit difficult!!

> As a non-Latin speaker (are there any of them left?) you should find
> it a lot more than a bit difficult. For someone who minored in Latin
> in college and holds a teaching certificate in the language (me), it's
> pretty hard going just to read it. Apicius was not the most lucid of
> authors.

Four years of Latin, 50 years ago, doesn't help much, and the Big and
Little Dis can be confusing when it comes to identifying particular
ingredients.

I suspect some of it has much to do with drunk monks making sloppy
transcriptions on cold nights with numb fingers and flickering rushlights.

TMO
Phil Clark

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:46:15 +0300, "Opinicus" >
wrote:

>"Jon" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know of a website that has an online version of Apicius's book
>> but in English?

>I think all of the existing English translations are still covered by
>copyright so it's unlikely you'll find a complete text on the internet. You
>can find many examples of individual recipes and adaptations however. Just
>do a Google search on "Apicius".

If you want to splash out on a printed edition, I recommend the Dover
edition: "Apicius: cookery & dining in Imperial Rome", translated by
Vehling. It's straight translations from the Latin text, with
discussions on what things might mean and how to interpret the
instructions. Excellent. None left out, no "adaptations" of the
recipes to suit modern palates, no quantities and cooking times - but
then if you need these you shouldn't be attempting Roman recopies ;-)
Christophe Bachmann

In ,
Phil Clark wrote :

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:46:15 +0300, "Opinicus" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Jon" > wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know of a website that has an online version of
>>> Apicius's book but in English?

>> I think all of the existing English translations are still covered by
>> copyright so it's unlikely you'll find a complete text on the
>> internet. You can find many examples of individual recipes and
>> adaptations however. Just do a Google search on "Apicius".

> If you want to splash out on a printed edition, I recommend the Dover
> edition: "Apicius: cookery & dining in Imperial Rome", translated by
> Vehling. It's straight translations from the Latin text, with
> discussions on what things might mean and how to interpret the
> instructions. Excellent. None left out, no "adaptations" of the
> recipes to suit modern palates, no quantities and cooking times - but
> then if you need these you shouldn't be attempting Roman recopies ;-)

Just a word of caution, IIRC Vehling didn't so much translate as adapt, and
his book seems to have quite a few differences to the original latin. Don't
know how much the difference is but I read quite a lot about that.

--
Salutations, greetings,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald

Phil Clark

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:26:14 +0200, "Christophe Bachmann"
> wrote:

>Just a word of caution, IIRC Vehling didn't so much translate as adapt, and
>his book seems to have quite a few differences to the original latin. Don't
>know how much the difference is but I read quite a lot about that.

It does, however, give both latin and english text, and discusses
where amendments have been made. It's about the only parallel
translation I've come across.
Phil Clark

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 06:44:39 +1000, Richard Wright
> wrote:

>We have been talking at cross purposes about versions of Apicius.
>
>(1) Vehling's "Apicius: Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome" gives
>fascinating comment, but not parallel text - at least my Dover Books
>edition doesn't.

You're right, of course, I should have opened my copy before posting.

>(2) "The Roman Cookery Book: a critical translation of The Art of
>Cooking by Apicious" by Barbara Flower and Elisabeth Rosenbaum;
>Harrap, 1958, does give parallel Latin and English text.

I'll have to look out for this one.

>(3) There is also a "translated and adapted for the modern kitchen"
>version by Jon Edwards, entitled "The Roman Cookery of Apicius". This
>version explicitly adapts.

It's not bad - and probably the most widely available, at least in the
UK. However, from trial and error, I always follow Apicius rather
than the adaptations.
David Friedman

In article >,
Phil Clark > wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:46:15 +0300, "Opinicus" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Jon" > wrote in message
> >> Does anyone know of a website that has an online version of Apicius's book
> >> but in English?

> >I think all of the existing English translations are still covered by
> >copyright so it's unlikely you'll find a complete text on the internet. You
> >can find many examples of individual recipes and adaptations however. Just
> >do a Google search on "Apicius".

> If you want to splash out on a printed edition, I recommend the Dover
> edition: "Apicius: cookery & dining in Imperial Rome", translated by
> Vehling. It's straight translations from the Latin text, with
> discussions on what things might mean and how to interpret the
> instructions. Excellent. None left out, no "adaptations" of the
> recipes to suit modern palates, no quantities and cooking times - but
> then if you need these you shouldn't be attempting Roman recopies ;-)

I haven't worked from Apicius myself, but what I am told by those who
have is that Vehling is wildly unreliable--his recipes aren't consistent
with the original text and appear to be inventions of his own loosely
inspired by Apicius. I believe I did check one recipe in Vehling,
Flowers and Rosenbaum, and the original and it was consistent with that
account.

Flowers and Rosenbaum is said to be the most reliable of the
translations--but again, that's second hand information.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid