Ralf Dieholt

Default Historic worm meals

I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
ate worms and worms are very healthy ?
Opinicus

"Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
om...
> I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Robin Carroll-Mann

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:47:39 +0200, "Opinicus" >
wrote:

>"Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
. com...
>> I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
>> ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

>Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

To be washed down with some absinthe, naturally.

But what is really needed here are some good recipes for troll.

Robin Carroll-Mann
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
To email me, remove the fish
Bob (this one)

Opinicus wrote:

> "Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
>>ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

> Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

Tea all over the screen... Wonderful.

Pastorio

Opinicus

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

> >>I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> >>ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

> > Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

> Tea all over the screen... Wonderful.

Don't be too quick to laugh. A google search on "diet of worms" fetches up,
inter alia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/412142.stm
http://www.nature.com/nature/links/030821/030821-6.html
http://tinyurl.com/2rwjc
http://tinyurl.com/3gsol
http://tinyurl.com/2cv3c
and of course
http://www.dietofworms.com

"Here I stand" indeed...

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Kate Dicey

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:47:39 +0200, "Opinicus" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >> I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> >> ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

> >Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

> To be washed down with some absinthe, naturally.
>
> But what is really needed here are some good recipes for troll.
>
> Robin Carroll-Mann
> "Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
> To email me, remove the fish

Troll soup!

First catch your troll... Truss and gag tightly and put on one side...

Make 14 lbs of bread dough and shape into rolls... Put aside to rise
while making the soup.

Fill a humongous saucepan half way with water or vegetable stock* and
bring to the boil... Add, in this order, waiting for the broth to come
back to the boil each time:

8 sweedes, diced finely
12 lbs of dices carrots
14 lbs of diced onions
6 lbs of pearl barley
14 heads of celery, sliced finely
8 Savoy cabbages, finely shredded
10 lbs of leeks sliced finely
1 lb finely minced parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

While the soup is cooking, bake the bread rolls. Go check on the
troll.. Oh, bugger, it died! Never mind, just bury it under the compost
heap, it'll feed the roses nicely.

Serve soup and rolls to the gathered multitude.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

* If you use stock cubes for this recipe, don't add more salt - they are
salty enough!
schachmal

in article , Hairy
Antelope at

http://hjem.get2net.dk/arne_larsen1/58mopan1.html

> Not quite the same as the 'earthwormy' kind of worm, being as it's
> actually a caterpillar... but just as yucky ....

Thinking of creepy crawley things that aren't quite worms...witchety grubs.
The aborigines (of Oz) eat them as bush tucker - raw, maybe even alive.

Never tried it but some whitefellas say it's pretty good, such as Major Les
Hiddens, the Bushtucker Man, who had a cooking programme on the ABC about
how to find and cook the food aborigines ate.

Lesley Wright

That SAS survival bloke that gets on the telly telling us soft couch
potatoes how to survive on Scottish islands speaks of frying earthworms on
hot stones and how nourishing they are.

Lesley

"Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
om...
> I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

Opinicus

"Ralf Dieholt" > wrote

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/mat.../mezcaltequila

http://www.hotlix.com/wormpops.htm

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

stephen

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> "Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> > ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

> Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

Would that be the one eaten at the bottom of the garden. After all most
children know the rhyme 'No body loves me, every body hates me, think I
might as well go in the garden and eat worms'

Steve

Graham and Beth Harden

Not so historic, but interesting nonetheless....

When I was an undergraduate doing a course in internal parasitology, there
was a guy who insisted that the pig round worm (Ascaris suum), although
looking for all intents the same as a human round worm (another Ascaris
sp..), were not the same deal. To prove this he figured on testing the
ability of the former to set up shop in a human host (ie himself). To this
end he proposed to ingest a large number of adult and juvenile worms (adults
contained fertile eggs and some small ones might survive the stomach and
grow). If they were suited to human conditions then he could expect to rear
a new crop or at least have some survive. The assembled "specimens" were
put on a large burger bun and wolfed down - with only a little gagging I am
told. These things are up to 1 foot long, 1/4 inch thick and of a gristly
consistency much tougher than an earthworm as it is a nematode.

The good news was that when the researcher "de-wormed himself" at an
appropriate later date, there were in fact no Ascaris round worms to be
found in the stuff flushed from his gut. He completed his PhD and is
presumably somewhere out in the workforce today.

Now there's someone who gave his all for science!

PS Earthworms in fact would be quite hard to eat as they are full of grit -
living as they do on a diet of soil matter. People have suggested that
reasonable results may be possible if they are allowed to "purge" without
soil for a couple of days.
I suppose this is like the practice of letting eels from muddy streams sit
in the water tank for a couple of days before killing and cooked.

"Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
om...
> I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

PossumPieGuy

Default Entomophagy

"Opinicus" > wrote in message >...
> "Ralf Dieholt" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I think there must be many good recipes for worms, since our ancestors
> > ate worms and worms are very healthy ?

> Well there was the famous Diet of Worms...

Um - If worms are so healthy how come all our ancestors are dead?
If the worms are healthy maybe it's 'cos they ate our ancestors

here are some photos of edible bugs:

http://www.menzelphoto.com/gallery/meb.htm

Sandra's Money Saving Meals: One Pot Meals Ubiquitous General Cooking 8 31-08-2009 12:04 AM
another ear worm sf[_3_] General Cooking 6 16-05-2008 05:55 AM
Warning: Worm on the Loose sf[_3_] General Cooking 0 30-12-2007 07:57 PM
Army Worm Wine Charles H Winemaking 3 22-03-2004 10:48 PM
Historic cannibal meals Shane D. Maudiss Historic 1 29-11-2003 07:44 AM