Todd Tamanend Clark

Default Native Cuisine Coming To PBS

This is an excerpt from an article in the Shawnee News-Star:

> NATIVE CUISINE TO BE FEATURED IN PBS SERIES
>
> By Carol Cole
>
> Loretta Barrett Oden delights in relating where tomatoes came from.
> Or potatoes. Or heirloom squash.
>
> The world-renowned chef will be featured in a thirteen-week series
> on the Public Broadcasting System, exploring the history of native
> foods and American Indian cuisines.
>
> "Food is - of course - the heart of every culture," Oden said, who
> has also been featured on the Today Show and Good Morning America.
> "That's how you find out about any people's culture - sit at the
> table."
>
> Over her years of research on native foods, Oden has developed a
> unique niche in the culinary world.
>
> "It is new and it's old and it's innovative and it's healthy," she
> said of her cuisine, which utilizes fresh local ingredients infused
> with unique flavorings.
>
> She is recognized as an expert in native foods history and
> ethnobotany and it has evolved her own approach to food preparation.
>
> "I take old traditional recipes and ingredients and just kind of
> update them to suit today's palate," Oden said.

Which is what I have been doing for my own family of six progeny
for many years.

> She said Native American food is the only ethnic cuisine that has
> not been addressed fully in the culinary world.

A point I make to people on a frequent basis.

> "We've danced around it quite a bit, with Argentinean, Brazilian,
> Cuban, Mexican, all of that. But I'm taking a look at all of the
> Americas," Oden said. "You know, this thirteen weeks will be
> centered around North America, and our chocolate show will be shot
> in Mexico City."

YES! Serious Aztec chocolate!

> Production is scheduled to begin with shooting in the warm weather
> locales in February. One of the first shoots will include the
> salmon runs in the northwest and another covering the wildlife
> harvest at Minnesota's Leech Lake.

For the rest of the article, go to:

http://www.news-star.com/stories/102803/New_16.shtml

Two excellent indigenous cookbooks that I heartily recommend a

Spirit Of The Harvest: North American Indian Cooking
(Beverly Cox & Martin Jacobs, 1991)

Spirit Of The Earth: Native Cooking From Latin America
(Beverly Cox & Martin Jacobs, 2001)

- - - -
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian
Primal Pulse (Label-Publisher-Studio)
The Monongahela River, Turtle Island

- - - -
Now Available:
Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc

Forthcoming:
Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2003)

- - - -
"Our sacred birthright includes our philosophies and sciences, our
economic systems and agricultural practices, our petroglyphs and
artifacts. And our sacred birthright also includes the rivers,
streams, springs, lakes, aquifers, seas, bays, inlets, oceans, and
all bodies of water, the precious and sacred liquid that flows
through the veins of Mother Earth, that sustains all life, and
without which life itself cannot continue."
- - Steven Newcomb
Shunkmanitu

Thanks for the heads-up on the series.
SS

"Todd Tamanend Clark" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> Primal Pulse (Label-Publisher-Studio)
> The Monongahela River, Turtle Island
>
> - - - -
> Now Available:
> Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
> http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
> Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
> http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc
>
> Forthcoming:
> Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2003)
>
> - - - -
> "Our sacred birthright includes our philosophies and sciences, our
> economic systems and agricultural practices, our petroglyphs and
> artifacts. And our sacred birthright also includes the rivers,
> streams, springs, lakes, aquifers, seas, bays, inlets, oceans, and
> all bodies of water, the precious and sacred liquid that flows
> through the veins of Mother Earth, that sustains all life, and
> without which life itself cannot continue."

t(nospam)kavanagh

Todd Tamanend Clark wrote:

<snip>

> > She said Native American food is the only ethnic cuisine that has
> > not been addressed fully in the culinary world.

The program FoodNation on the Food Network (cable) has done a couple of
programs on New Mexican Indian foods. One will air next week:

Home > TV > Show List A to Z > FoodNation With Bobby Flay
>"Bobby Flay is on the prowl. As host, reporter, travel guide and sometime chef, he'll explore cities and regions across the U.S., examining local culinary history and character. Meet the people who keep these

culinary traditions alive and take them to new heights."

FoodNation airs Tuesdays 9:30 pm and 12:30 am and Saturdays at 7:00 pm.
Alltimes ET/PT.

Albuquerque Native American
Pueblo Oven Bread
Bone Stew (or Posole)
Corn, Squash and Chile Traditional Side Dish
Blue Corn Mutton Tamales
Tewa Tacos (AKA- Indian Tacos)

tk
Default User

"t(nospam)kavanagh" wrote:

> Todd Tamanend Clark wrote:

> The program FoodNation on the Food Network (cable) has done a couple of
> programs on New Mexican Indian foods. One will air next week:

I like FoodNation. A lot of people rag on Bobby, but this is a very good
show. He finds lots of interesting regional cusine, and is always
respectful and appreciative of it.

Brian Rodenborn
t(nospam)kavanagh

<snip>