Default Anyone have any idea what "Snit-Mitch" could possibly be?

In an old (turn-of-the-last-century) book of recipes from Delmonico's
called "The Epicurean" there is a menu for a dinner in honor of the
Russian Fleet in 1862, or
thereabouts. One of the hors d'oevres was something called "Snit-mitch
a la Russe". There wasn't any explanation, and no recipe for it was
included. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Or any tips for
how one goes about tracking down what appears to be an extremely
obscure historical recipe? My sister sent me this question, she says
she's had no luck tracking it down and thinks I might do better. Well,
posting to this group is the best idea I've had, and I really hope
someone here can give me an idea of where to go next. Thank you!

Maria

Oxymel of Squill

'snit' is the glowing part of the wick of a candle when blown out. There's
a thing you wouldn't think you'd much need a word for, but it's not much
help dinner-wise, sorry

mitch suggests mix to me, floundering really!

oups.com...

ping mitch Storrmmee General Cooking 0 13-07-2011 10:31 AM
What is this Snit that he should take over an entire Newsgroup? Rhino Plastee General Cooking 1 02-01-2009 08:59 AM
Snit gets WALLED IN by Wally! Rhino Plastee General Cooking 1 02-01-2009 08:30 AM
What is this Snit that he should take over an entire Newsgroup? Rhino Plastee General Cooking 1 02-01-2009 07:16 AM
Freeze distilling. Good idea or bad idea? Overfiend Winemaking 8 06-12-2005 03:10 PM