FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   stick macaroni, ca 1903 (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/408998-stick-macaroni-ca-1903-a.html)

Jean B.[_1_] 06-07-2011 04:49 AM

stick macaroni, ca 1903

Well, because it is dead here, and because I do like to post these
things for future reference, here is a little factoid from an old
(1903) cookbook I was perusing:

12 sticks of macaroni = 1/4 lb

Now, wouldn't folks here like to start posting, or I might be
forced to type up a recipe or something. :-) Shoulda kept items
with no hits on goo*le out for this purpose.
--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 06-07-2011 05:20 PM

stick macaroni, ca 1903

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:49:23 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Well, because it is dead here, and because I do like to post these
>> things for future reference, here is a little factoid from an old
>> (1903) cookbook I was perusing:
>>
>> 12 sticks of macaroni = 1/4 lb
>>
>> Now, wouldn't folks here like to start posting, or I might be
>> forced to type up a recipe or something. :-) Shoulda kept items
>> with no hits on goo*le out for this purpose.

> So what gives macaroni it's curl in the first place? Is there some
> sort of "drag" formed into the sides of one of the brass extruders?
> Why is Chefboyardee Beefaroni(tm) the only hollow tubular straight
> macaroni available? I've never seen it dried, or in sticks.
>
> Bucatini are too thick in the pasta and not enough airspace, IMO. Why
> can't we (I?) get straight macaroni which is "hollower" than bucatini?
>
> -sw

Ah, I am not an expert on pasta. But maybe someone here is.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 06-07-2011 05:21 PM

stick macaroni, ca 1903

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:49:23 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Well, because it is dead here, and because I do like to post these
>> things for future reference, here is a little factoid from an old
>> (1903) cookbook I was perusing:
>>
>> 12 sticks of macaroni = 1/4 lb
>>
>> Now, wouldn't folks here like to start posting, or I might be
>> forced to type up a recipe or something. :-) Shoulda kept items
>> with no hits on goo*le out for this purpose.

> So what gives macaroni it's curl in the first place? Is there some
> sort of "drag" formed into the sides of one of the brass extruders?
> Why is Chefboyardee Beefaroni(tm) the only hollow tubular straight
> macaroni available? I've never seen it dried, or in sticks.
>
> Bucatini are too thick in the pasta and not enough airspace, IMO. Why
> can't we (I?) get straight macaroni which is "hollower" than bucatini?
>
> -sw

PS Come to think of it, I would like to see period drawings or
photos of what was offering here in days of yore. Usually I do
read of breaking up the macaroni, so that must have been the norm.

--
Jean B.

Robert Klute[_2_] 06-07-2011 05:45 PM

stick macaroni, ca 1903

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 01:07:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:49:23 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Well, because it is dead here, and because I do like to post these
>> things for future reference, here is a little factoid from an old
>> (1903) cookbook I was perusing:
>>
>> 12 sticks of macaroni = 1/4 lb
>>
>> Now, wouldn't folks here like to start posting, or I might be
>> forced to type up a recipe or something. :-) Shoulda kept items
>> with no hits on goo*le out for this purpose.

>So what gives macaroni it's curl in the first place? Is there some
>sort of "drag" formed into the sides of one of the brass extruders?
>Why is Chefboyardee Beefaroni(tm) the only hollow tubular straight
>macaroni available? I've never seen it dried, or in sticks.
>
>Bucatini are too thick in the pasta and not enough airspace, IMO. Why
>can't we (I?) get straight macaroni which is "hollower" than bucatini?

Try Maestri Pastai (also sold as Gragnano), they offer a long ziti,
mezzanini, mezze candele, penne candela, and candele lunghe. I am sure
there are other Italian pasta manufacturers that offer these long,
hollow pastas, but this was the first I was able to find.

Gary 07-07-2011 07:11 PM

stick macaroni, ca 1903

Sqwertz (great username, BTW),

I'm not sure I understand your question... there are many hollow
straight pastas (ziti, rigatoni, and penne, are a few examples). As
for "sticks" -- while most commercial ziti is "cut ziti," the original
form is in sticks, about a foot long. I can usually get it in my local
supermarket, and it's certainly available in Italian specialty shops.

There's a classic timbale, made with uncut ziti coiled around the
outside like a beehive. If most of my cookbooks weren't packed away in
boxes in a very hot attic, I'd dig it out for you!

Gary

PS: The Encyclopedia of Pasta, by Oretta Zanini De Vita, will expose
you to more kinds of pasta than you can possibly imagine...