FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Historic Feast Menus (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/36905-historic-feast-menus.html)

Clifford Payne 29-09-2004 04:17 PM

Historic Feast Menus

Can anyone give me some sources for historic feast menus? I'm interested in
the quantities of food, number of courses, amounts of alcohol offered, etc.

cliff, from pgh

Big Mama 09-10-2004 12:20 AM

Often the best place to look is in books about various historic foods and
cooking methods. I've found some good resources for receipts from medieval
feasts in this way. You want to make sure you look through the end notes for
things like house receipts, etc.. Of course you can always go online to look
up historic foods of whatever era/location. For good medieval info look at A
Boke of Gode Cookery web site... www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm

There is a link for the web ring from there too that may help.

good luck!

Clifford Payne 18-10-2004 06:07 PM

Thanks! And the search begins!
cliff, from pgh

Clifford Payne 18-10-2004 06:07 PM

Big Mama 23-10-2004 05:52 PM

Good luck with it! Let me know if you get stuck and maybe I can help. I have
a large medieval recipe collection and could help with specific foods if you
need.
Mama

FeAudrey 30-10-2004 02:34 AM

In article >, says...

>Can anyone give me some sources for historic feast menus? I'm interested in
>the quantities of food, number of courses, amounts of alcohol offered, etc.
>
>cliff, from pgh

Here's an academic piece about pre-Civil War Independence Day celebrations:

http://gurukul.american.edu/heintze/dinner.htm

--
Visit my Iron Age Pages for technical and fun stuff (holiday specials, too)!
http://pages.prodigy.net/feaudrey