Clifford Payne

Default Historic Feast Menus

Can anyone give me some sources for historic feast menus? I'm interested in
the quantities of food, number of courses, amounts of alcohol offered, etc.

cliff, from pgh

Big Mama

Often the best place to look is in books about various historic foods and
cooking methods. I've found some good resources for receipts from medieval
feasts in this way. You want to make sure you look through the end notes for
things like house receipts, etc.. Of course you can always go online to look
up historic foods of whatever era/location. For good medieval info look at A
Boke of Gode Cookery web site... www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm

There is a link for the web ring from there too that may help.

good luck!

"Clifford Payne" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give me some sources for historic feast menus? I'm interested

in
> the quantities of food, number of courses, amounts of alcohol offered,

etc.

> cliff, from pgh

Clifford Payne

Thanks! And the search begins!
cliff, from pgh

"Big Mama" > wrote in message
> Often the best place to look is in books about various historic foods and
> cooking methods. I've found some good resources for receipts from medieval
> feasts in this way. You want to make sure you look through the end notes

for
> things like house receipts, etc.. Of course you can always go online to

look
> up historic foods of whatever era/location. For good medieval info look at

> Boke of Gode Cookery web site...

www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm

> There is a link for the web ring from there too that may help.
>
> good luck!
>
> "Clifford Payne" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone give me some sources for historic feast menus? I'm

interested
> in
> > the quantities of food, number of courses, amounts of alcohol offered,

> etc.
> >
> > cliff, from pgh

Clifford Payne

"Big Mama" > wrote in message
> Often the best place to look is in books about various historic foods and
> cooking methods. I've found some good resources for receipts from medieval
> feasts in this way. You want to make sure you look through the end notes

for
> things like house receipts, etc.. Of course you can always go online to

look
> up historic foods of whatever era/location. For good medieval info look at

> Boke of Gode Cookery web site...

www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm

> There is a link for the web ring from there too that may help.
>
> good luck!
>
> "Clifford Payne" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone give me some sources for historic feast menus? I'm

interested
> in
> > the quantities of food, number of courses, amounts of alcohol offered,

> etc.
> >
> > cliff, from pgh

Big Mama

Good luck with it! Let me know if you get stuck and maybe I can help. I have
a large medieval recipe collection and could help with specific foods if you
need.
Mama

rec.food.historic THOMAS RINE Historic 1 18-08-2008 08:24 PM
Historic Snowstorm Sheldon General Cooking 18 15-02-2007 03:36 AM
More Historic Recipes Barb General Cooking 0 29-10-2006 07:11 PM
Historic Calendar Chef Historic 0 07-12-2005 12:11 AM
Historic Joel Beer 2 03-10-2004 06:39 PM