Barry Popik

Default Pitch-In Supper (1923); Food Dictionary

FOOD DICTIONARY

Some of you may know that I'm working on a great food dictionary. It's
badly needed.

I'd like to have some great features that only our modern technology
can provide. Audio pronunciations and pictures for each dish, for
example.

If anyone has any ideas for the great food dictionary--publishers,
universities, collaborators, software to use--please let me know.

PITCH-IN SUPPER

I'll re-post this here from the American Dialect Society list--Barry
Popik.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/172637-9237-047.html
Indiana 'pitches in' with its own brand of slang terminology
August 24, 2004

Hoosiers speak their own language. Here's a quick glossary of terms,
courtesy of the Indiana University Department of Linguistics.

Pitch-in: A gathering where everyone contributes a dish to eat, known
by the rest of the English-speaking world as a potluck.

Mango: Ha! You thought it was a tropical fruit. For some weird reason,
a lot of folks around Bloomington and Terre Haute use this word to
describe a green pepper.

Toboggan: Nope, not a sled. To Hoosiers in the southern part of the
state, this is a knit cap worn in winter.

Nibnose: A nosey person. Can also be an adjective, e.g. "She's awfully
nibbey."

Giggin' (as opposed to gigging): Hunting frogs in order to eat frog
legs.

Sweep the carpet: Vacuum the carpet.

Cheese toasty: Fort Wayne-speak for a grilled-cheese sandwich.

Hoosier: There are hundreds of stories about where the word comes
from, but it's most widely believed to have originated in the
Appalachian Mountains as a pejorative term for an unrefined, country
roughneck. Turns out a lot of native Indiana people's ancestors
migrated here from Virginia and West Virginia. In St. Louis, hoosier
is still pretty much an insult, but here it's come to mean anyone from
Indiana.

-- Courtenay Edelhart

(The Dictionary of American Regional English has "pitch-in dinner"
from 1965-70--ed.)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Indianapolis Star Monday, May 07, 1923 Indianapolis, Indiana
....home, that the day closed with a "PITCH-IN" SUPPER, she said, VOh,
they.....wore straw hats IN snow time and furs IN summer. "I lived IN
the days when..
Pg. 6, col. 7:
When we mentioned to a friend, on coming home, that the day closed
with a "pitch in" supper, she said, "Oh, they have them in Greensburg,
too?" So this institution is evidently not peculiar to Tipton. Its
neighborliness and good fellowship would make one wish that it was not
limited to one locality, but belonged to the entire state.

Indianapolis Star Sunday, June 08, 1924 Indianapolis, Indiana
....day. The Kentland chapter will have a PITCH-IN SUPPER on June 13
with Mrs. E.....for Mrs. Jessie Logan. The ;annual PITCH-IN dINner
will be held -IN the..
Pg. 30, col. 3:
The annual pitch-in dinner will be held in the city park this month.
(Rushville--ed.)
Pg. 30, col. 4:
The Kentland chapter will have a pitch-in supper on June 13 with Mrs.
E. S. Hess, Mrs. Faye Burgess and Mrs. Virginia Spradling as members
of the committee in charge.

Newark Advocate Saturday, August 08, 1936 Newark, Ohio
....I Fred WatkINs. William R. Dean, a PITCH-IN SUPPER and stay for
the.....monthly busINess meetINg and potluck SUPPER Monday at 6 p. m.
Sunday school..

Chronicle Telegram Thursday, October 14, 1937 Elyria, Ohio
....LAQRAXGE Gleaners' Class will hold a "PITCH-IN" SUPPER and
Hallowe'en party at.....Night. X. The 115th anniversary SUPPER will be
held at the..

Lima News Friday, November 06, 1942 Lima, Ohio
....for the group's first social event, a "PITCH-IN-SUPPER." Miss Znlia
Harbaugh.....n-.is-INn-. nil 3-DIAMOND BEAUTY Rich IN beauty rich IN
rich IN quality. 2..

Walla Walla Union Bulletin Thursday, July 18, 1946 Walla Walla,
Washington
....slowly. thick add broken nut meats and PITCH-IN SUPPER Your Answer
to Guest.....IN for SUPPER. Why not ask them to PITCH IN and
contribute their favorite..

Daily Independent Wednesday, August 31, 1955 Kannapolis, North
Carolina
....harvest time. Call ft what you will. PITCH-IN SUPPER. Barn dance.
Or corn.....Patterson, and that evenINg were SUPPER guests of Mr: 'and
Mrs. j Rev..

Great Bend Daily Tribune Friday, September 02, 1955 Great Bend, Kansas
....etijoy harvest time. it what you will. PITCH-IN SUPPER. Barn dance.
Or com.....29. The next family card pSty and SUPPER will be given by
Mrs. Henry Cook..

Herald Thursday, January 22, 1959 Chicago, Illinois
....Game Dear Peg' Our foursome had its PITCH-IN SUPPER recently and
the food.....The tricky answer to this one was IN the first Whoever IN
the audience..

Sheboygan Press Friday, August 06, 1965 Sheboygan, Wisconsin
....call a potluck meal, they call a "PITCH IN." Jane also noted that
INstead.....O, II County Delegates Learn About INdiana 4-H Clubs
Johnson County, from..
Pg. 18?, col. 8:
Jane Mayhew, Meadowlarks 4-H Club, said that Indiana people use many
different speaking terms. What Sheboygan County people call a potluck
meal, they call a "pitch in." Jane also noted that instead of them
seving milk for meals they served iced tea.

Newark Advocate Monday, April 07, 1969 Newark, Ohio
....Kappa Gamma S o c i e t y. p .m.. 'PITCH-IN-SUPPER" and meetINg,
with.....for visitINg KINgswood Gardens IN Mansfield. LosINg lassies
TOPS Met at..
Kate Connally

Barry Popik wrote:

> PITCH-IN SUPPER
>
> I'll re-post this here from the American Dialect Society list--Barry
> Popik.
>

> http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/172637-9237-047.html
> Indiana 'pitches in' with its own brand of slang terminology
> August 24, 2004
>
> Hoosiers speak their own language. Here's a quick glossary of terms,
> courtesy of the Indiana University Department of Linguistics.
>
> Pitch-in: A gathering where everyone contributes a dish to eat, known
> by the rest of the English-speaking world as a potluck.
>
> Mango: Ha! You thought it was a tropical fruit. For some weird reason,
> a lot of folks around Bloomington and Terre Haute use this word to
> describe a green pepper.
>
> Toboggan: Nope, not a sled. To Hoosiers in the southern part of the
> state, this is a knit cap worn in winter.
>
> Nibnose: A nosey person. Can also be an adjective, e.g. "She's awfully
> nibbey."

Here in Penna. (at least in the Pittsburgh area) we say
"nebby nose". Examples - "You're such a nebby nose, wanting
to know all about my business." "Quit nebbing into my
business." "Boy, she's a real neb-nose!" I was given to
understand that it was probably a Pa. Dutch term.

We also say "redd up". "Mother told me to redd up my
roon, or else!" Meaning to straighten up or clean up.
I recently saw it in a novel I was reading as "red" up
but I think that may be a typo. It should be "redd".
This also is a Pa. Dutch expression.

> Giggin' (as opposed to gigging): Hunting frogs in order to eat frog
> legs.
>
> Sweep the carpet: Vacuum the carpet.

We always said sweep the carpet when I was growing up.
I say vacuum now because I picked it up from other
people.

Another thing we say here in Pittsburgh, and maybe else
where, as well, is "gum bands" for "rubber bands". Don't
know if I can blame that one on the Pa. Dutch. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Barry Popik wrote:

> PITCH-IN SUPPER
>
> I'll re-post this here from the American Dialect Society list--Barry
> Popik.
>

> http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/172637-9237-047.html
> Indiana 'pitches in' with its own brand of slang terminology
> August 24, 2004
>
> Hoosiers speak their own language. Here's a quick glossary of terms,
> courtesy of the Indiana University Department of Linguistics.
>
> Pitch-in: A gathering where everyone contributes a dish to eat, known
> by the rest of the English-speaking world as a potluck.
>
> Mango: Ha! You thought it was a tropical fruit. For some weird reason,
> a lot of folks around Bloomington and Terre Haute use this word to
> describe a green pepper.
>
> Toboggan: Nope, not a sled. To Hoosiers in the southern part of the
> state, this is a knit cap worn in winter.
>
> Nibnose: A nosey person. Can also be an adjective, e.g. "She's awfully
> nibbey."

Here in Penna. (at least in the Pittsburgh area) we say
"nebby nose". Examples - "You're such a nebby nose, wanting
to know all about my business." "Quit nebbing into my
business." "Boy, she's a real neb-nose!" I was given to
understand that it was probably a Pa. Dutch term.

We also say "redd up". "Mother told me to redd up my
roon, or else!" Meaning to straighten up or clean up.
I recently saw it in a novel I was reading as "red" up
but I think that may be a typo. It should be "redd".
This also is a Pa. Dutch expression.

> Giggin' (as opposed to gigging): Hunting frogs in order to eat frog
> legs.
>
> Sweep the carpet: Vacuum the carpet.

We always said sweep the carpet when I was growing up.
I say vacuum now because I picked it up from other
people.

Another thing we say here in Pittsburgh, and maybe else
where, as well, is "gum bands" for "rubber bands". Don't
know if I can blame that one on the Pa. Dutch. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Dicey

Richard Wright wrote:

> We do see "Bring a plate" on generally advertised invitations - such
> as street parties.

The only things I've been involved in like this said something along the
lines of Please bring something to add to the feast. We suggest... and
the gap filled by the organizers so they didn't get 900 gallons of
coleslaw and no quiche!

Other than that, we have a gathering of friends every New Year and we
all pitch in with the food. Each couple provides a meal for the
gathering. Maybe lasagna and salad and apple pie for 16 people, and
something for the buffet on the evening (I often do a poached salmon as
I have a fish kettle). Our hostess provides breakfasts and New Years
Day's dinner. It works very well. The kids usually help with loading
and unloading the dishwasher, preparing vegetables on NYD, and setting
tables and the like, and for up to a week we party! Last New Year
there were 24 of us sitting down for lunch on New Years Day.

I think is works this well because we all lived in a similar 'all hands
to the pump' way as a group of students back in Durham in the 70's, and
we've just kept it going. People drift in and out over the years (some
have drifted to the Yukon - mad!), kids have grown (at 10 James is the
youngest - we were late starters as the oldest 'kids' are now 21!), but
the core group is strong enough to keep life rolling on.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Kate Dicey

Richard Wright wrote:

> We do see "Bring a plate" on generally advertised invitations - such
> as street parties.

The only things I've been involved in like this said something along the
lines of Please bring something to add to the feast. We suggest... and
the gap filled by the organizers so they didn't get 900 gallons of
coleslaw and no quiche!

Other than that, we have a gathering of friends every New Year and we
all pitch in with the food. Each couple provides a meal for the
gathering. Maybe lasagna and salad and apple pie for 16 people, and
something for the buffet on the evening (I often do a poached salmon as
I have a fish kettle). Our hostess provides breakfasts and New Years
Day's dinner. It works very well. The kids usually help with loading
and unloading the dishwasher, preparing vegetables on NYD, and setting
tables and the like, and for up to a week we party! Last New Year
there were 24 of us sitting down for lunch on New Years Day.

I think is works this well because we all lived in a similar 'all hands
to the pump' way as a group of students back in Durham in the 70's, and
we've just kept it going. People drift in and out over the years (some
have drifted to the Yukon - mad!), kids have grown (at 10 James is the
youngest - we were late starters as the oldest 'kids' are now 21!), but
the core group is strong enough to keep life rolling on.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
bogus address

> Indiana 'pitches in' with its own brand of slang terminology [...]
> Hoosiers speak their own language. Here's a quick glossary of terms,
> courtesy of the Indiana University Department of Linguistics. [...]

> Cheese toasty: Fort Wayne-speak for a grilled-cheese sandwich.

That's the standard usage in the UK. Is Indiana really the only
place in the US to use it?

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.