Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic

Default rec: Seed Cakes

This recipe is somewhat different from others I have seen. Look
at all that rosewater! We have been speaking about rosewater on
rfc, so I perked right up when I saw that. I wonder how much
adhered to the butter?

Note, I am crossposting this one, so eliminate one of the groups
when you reply.

Seed Cakes
Source: American Cookery, December 1919, page 346.
Formatted etc. by Jean B.

This is from an article on Christmas in times past, and is
supposed to be from the year 1700.

1 c butter
1/2 c rosewater
2 c sugar
4 eggs, beaten
3 drops oil of cinnamon or 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbsps caraway seed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp saleratus [sub. 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda?]
1/2 c boiling water
4 c flour
milk, if necessary

Wash the butter in rosewater.* Cream the butter and add sugar.
[I think I'd cream the butter and the sugar.] Add eggs, spices,
salt, and saleratus which has been dissolved in the hot water. Add
flour and, if necessary, a little milk, to form a stiff paste.
Drop on buttered paper in lumps the size of nutmegs. Bake in a
moderate oven.

*Does anyone know about this practice?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote:

> Wash the butter in rosewater.* Cream the butter and add sugar.

> *Does anyone know about this practice?

You rub room-temperature butter with rosewater. The butter will take up the
scent of the rose.

Dunno if you'd use the remaining rosewater in the recipe, though.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic

Henriette Kress wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>

>> Wash the butter in rosewater.* Cream the butter and add sugar.

>> *Does anyone know about this practice?

> You rub room-temperature butter with rosewater. The butter will take up the
> scent of the rose.
>
> Dunno if you'd use the remaining rosewater in the recipe, though.
>
> Henriette

I don't know either. I was kind-of excite to see that amount of
rosewater, but then I wonder how much of it ends up in the recipe.
One would sure want to use the strong one that Wayne spoke about
if it was a small amount.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Jean B. wrote:

> This recipe is somewhat different from others I have seen. Look
> at all that rosewater! We have been speaking about rosewater on
> rfc, so I perked right up when I saw that. I wonder how much
> adhered to the butter?

If c=cup that's quite a lot.
I've finally got my new brand so will try the triggering recipe again.

--
Old time cookery and brewing:
theoldecookerybook.com

rec: Seed Cakes Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 2 20-09-2008 01:34 AM
Celery Seed OIL [email protected] Barbecue 7 05-09-2008 12:36 AM
Coriander Seed Dan S. General Cooking 31 01-07-2007 08:07 PM
Uses for celery seed... Omelet General Cooking 54 16-02-2007 03:00 AM
Dill Seed jim General Cooking 9 13-07-2006 07:02 PM