Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Barley Sugar

When I was a kid, barley pops were sold at a few local events.
You can still find things labeled as such, but they generally seem
not to be any such thing. I must confess that I thought "barley"
was actually a reference to the grain, and that liquid from said
grain was somehow involved. But, here is a description of barley
sugar, which appears on page 423 of American Cookery, February 1941.

"If cane sugar is heated carefully over low heat it will melt and
become a liquid. In order to prevent burning it is necessary to
stir the sugar constantly while the change is taking place. If
the liquid is poured into a buttered pan and allowed to cool, it
will become a clear, light brown sheet of what is known as 'barley
sugar.' "
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > writes:

>When I was a kid, barley pops were sold at a few local events.
>You can still find things labeled as such, but they generally seem
>not to be any such thing. I must confess that I thought "barley"
>was actually a reference to the grain, and that liquid from said
>grain was somehow involved. But, here is a description of barley
>sugar, which appears on page 423 of American Cookery, February 1941.
>
>"If cane sugar is heated carefully over low heat it will melt and
>become a liquid. In order to prevent burning it is necessary to
>stir the sugar constantly while the change is taking place. If
>the liquid is poured into a buttered pan and allowed to cool, it
>will become a clear, light brown sheet of what is known as 'barley
>sugar.' "

Webster's International Dictionary (1911) clarifies the situation,
by adding to essentially that definition the note that "It was
formerly made by boiling the sugar down with a decoction of
barley." So if you were a kid sufficiently long ago, you'd have
thought right.

Lee Rudolph
Posted to rec.food.historic

Lee Rudolph a écrit :
> "Jean B." > writes:
>
>> I must confess that I thought "barley"
>> was actually a reference to the grain, and that liquid from said
>> grain was somehow involved.

> Webster's International Dictionary (1911) clarifies the situation,
> by adding to essentially that definition the note that "It was
> formerly made by boiling the sugar down with a decoction of
> barley." So if you were a kid sufficiently long ago, you'd have
> thought right.
>
> Lee Rudolph

There is an analogy with orgeat which historically was barley water
(barley = orge) and is now made with almonds...

--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald,
Posted to rec.food.historic

Christophe Bachmann wrote:
> Lee Rudolph a écrit :
>> "Jean B." > writes:
>>
>>> I must confess that I thought "barley" was actually a reference to
>>> the grain, and that liquid from said grain was somehow involved.

>> Webster's International Dictionary (1911) clarifies the situation,
>> by adding to essentially that definition the note that "It was
>> formerly made by boiling the sugar down with a decoction of barley."
>> So if you were a kid sufficiently long ago, you'd have
>> thought right.
>>
>> Lee Rudolph

> There is an analogy with orgeat which historically was barley water
> (barley = orge) and is now made with almonds...

And then there's that odd Orgeat I posted yesterday!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Lee Rudolph wrote:
> "Jean B." > writes:
>
>> When I was a kid, barley pops were sold at a few local events.
>> You can still find things labeled as such, but they generally seem
>> not to be any such thing. I must confess that I thought "barley"
>> was actually a reference to the grain, and that liquid from said
>> grain was somehow involved. But, here is a description of barley
>> sugar, which appears on page 423 of American Cookery, February 1941.
>>
>> "If cane sugar is heated carefully over low heat it will melt and
>> become a liquid. In order to prevent burning it is necessary to
>> stir the sugar constantly while the change is taking place. If
>> the liquid is poured into a buttered pan and allowed to cool, it
>> will become a clear, light brown sheet of what is known as 'barley
>> sugar.' "

> Webster's International Dictionary (1911) clarifies the situation,
> by adding to essentially that definition the note that "It was
> formerly made by boiling the sugar down with a decoction of
> barley." So if you were a kid sufficiently long ago, you'd have
> thought right.
>
> Lee Rudolph

Then I wasn't misremembering. I need time to go back and check my
older cookbooks.

--
Jean B.