FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Cola Flora (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/160503-cola-flora.html)

Martin S 19-08-2008 08:23 PM

Cola Flora

I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
horrible in a chicken soup.
Any better suggestions?

--
Old time cookery and brewing:
theoldecookerybook.com

Richard Wright 02-09-2008 08:23 AM

Cola Flora

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:23:21 +0200, Martin S
> wrote:

>I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
>is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
>well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
>horrible in a chicken soup.
>Any better suggestions?
>
>--
>Old time cookery and brewing:
>theoldecookerybook.com

I guess you are right in your interpretation of the word as signifying
today's cauliflower.

What vintage is your quotation?

The OED gives as forms since 1597:

colieflorie, cole-flory, -florie, coly-flory, coley-florey,
colliflory, coleflower, colly-flowre, coly-, cauly-, caully-,
cawly-flower, collyflower, colliflower.

Martin S 02-09-2008 05:22 PM

Cola Flora

Richard Wright wrote:

> What vintage is your quotation?

It's from

"To boyle Chickins in a soope "
A New Booke of Cookerie, 1615

Martin S

Opinicus 02-09-2008 08:20 PM

Cola Flora

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:23:21 +0200, Martin S
> wrote:

>I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
>is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
>well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
>horrible in a chicken soup.

Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and cauliflower.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Sqwertz 03-09-2008 02:19 AM

Cola Flora

Martin S > wrote:

> I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
> is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
> well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
> horrible in a chicken soup.
> Any better suggestions?

A flowering marijuana bud?

-sw

Martin S 03-09-2008 05:10 AM

Cola Flora

Opinicus wrote:

> Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and
> cauliflower.

Really? Hmm, perhaps I'm prejudiced towards cauliflower :)

Martin S

Christophe Bachmann[_2_] 03-09-2008 05:12 PM

Cola Flora

Martin S a écrit :
> Opinicus wrote:
>
>> Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and
>> cauliflower.

> Really? Hmm, perhaps I'm prejudiced towards cauliflower :)

Prejudiced toward or against ? :-)

--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald,

Martin S 04-09-2008 07:54 AM

Cola Flora

Christophe Bachmann wrote:

> Martin S a écrit :
>> Opinicus wrote:
>>
>>> Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and
>>> cauliflower.

>> Really? Hmm, perhaps I'm prejudiced towards cauliflower :)
>>

> Prejudiced toward or against ? :-)

Why not both :-D
Against I guess in this case though...