Old 19-08-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Default Cola Flora

I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
horrible in a chicken soup.
Any better suggestions?

--
Old time cookery and brewing:
theoldecookerybook.com

Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:23:21 +0200, Martin S
wrote:

I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
horrible in a chicken soup.
Any better suggestions?

--
Old time cookery and brewing:
theoldecookerybook.com

I guess you are right in your interpretation of the word as signifying
today's cauliflower.

What vintage is your quotation?

The OED gives as forms since 1597:

colieflorie, cole-flory, -florie, coly-flory, coley-florey,
colliflory, coleflower, colly-flowre, coly-, cauly-, caully-,
cawly-flower, collyflower, colliflower.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Richard Wright wrote:

What vintage is your quotation?

It's from

"To boyle Chickins in a soope "
A New Booke of Cookerie, 1615

Martin S

Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.historic

wrote:

I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
horrible in a chicken soup.

Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and cauliflower.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old 03-09-2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Martin S wrote:

I've been searching for a few days now, but haven't found what Cola Flora
is. As in "then take Cola Flora, and wash it clean, and parboil it very
well." My only guess (based on the sound) is cauliflower but it sound
horrible in a chicken soup.
Any better suggestions?

A flowering marijuana bud?

-sw

Old 03-09-2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:

Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and
cauliflower.

Really? Hmm, perhaps I'm prejudiced towards cauliflower

Martin S

Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Martin S a écrit :
Opinicus wrote:

Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and
cauliflower.

Really? Hmm, perhaps I'm prejudiced towards cauliflower

Prejudiced toward or against ? :-)

--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald,
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Christophe Bachmann wrote:

Martin S a écrit :
Opinicus wrote:

Why so? I've made very good cream soups with chicken stock and
cauliflower.

Really? Hmm, perhaps I'm prejudiced towards cauliflower

Prejudiced toward or against ? :-)

Why not both :-D
Against I guess in this case though...

Flora Springs wines lleichtman Wine 1 14-09-2012 03:31 PM
What is a good recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)? Elmo[_2_] General Cooking 26 27-04-2010 01:36 AM
REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 10 22-02-2009 01:00 AM
Cola or diet cola? Larry Dow Diabetic 54 07-02-2006 08:19 PM
Flora and Fauna of the Burbs The Ranger General Cooking 1 27-12-2005 02:34 PM