Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ajvar

Ajvar is one of my favorite foods. Trader Joe's sells it but they don't put
ajvar on the label. They call it Trader Joe's Red Pepper Spread with
eggplant and garlic. Whole Foods sells it with ajvar on the label. I think
it's pronounced eye-vaar or eye-vahr. What is sold at TJ and WF list exactly
the same ingredients: peppers, eggplant, sunflower oil, sugar, salt acetic
acid, garlic,hot pepper. Both are imported from Bulgaria. It's traditional
in many Balkan countries. Many recipes on the web for ajvar. Many different
uses. A spread for chicken and turkey sandwiches, dips, a source for grilled
veggies and so on. But mostly I just eat it with a spoon. Great stuff.
Warning: WF carries both mild and hot. The hot is probably hotter than most
people would want unless, of course, you really like hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-29, Frank103 > wrote:
> Ajvar is one of my favorite foods. Trader Joe's sells it but they don't put
> ajvar on the label. They call it Trader Joe's Red Pepper Spread with
> eggplant and garlic. Whole Foods sells it with ajvar on the label. I think
> it's pronounced eye-vaar or eye-vahr. What is sold at TJ and WF list exactly
> the same ingredients: peppers, eggplant, sunflower oil, sugar, salt acetic
> acid, garlic,hot pepper. Both are imported from Bulgaria.

I'm a longtime Ajvar lover. I also first ran across it at Whole
Foods. At that time, the brand they carried was Gourmet Food Products
(GFP) which is imported from Hungary. The only ingredients listed are
red peppers, carrots, garlic, spices, and salt. WF changed brands and
the new brand was not as good. So, I went to several stores to see if
anyone still had the GFP brand. I found one store still did and bought
their remaining two cases. I've enjoyed it and given them out as
gifts. I've tried others over the years, but this is still my
favorite. I think I still have a few jars. If you would like, I'd be
glad to send you one. You pay postage.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <aK1Jg.2578$JR5.2223@dukeread11>,
"Frank103" > wrote:

> Ajvar is one of my favorite foods. Trader Joe's sells it but they don't put
> ajvar on the label. They call it Trader Joe's Red Pepper Spread with
> eggplant and garlic. Whole Foods sells it with ajvar on the label. I think
> it's pronounced eye-vaar or eye-vahr. What is sold at TJ and WF list exactly
> the same ingredients: peppers, eggplant, sunflower oil, sugar, salt acetic
> acid, garlic,hot pepper. Both are imported from Bulgaria. It's traditional
> in many Balkan countries. Many recipes on the web for ajvar. Many different
> uses. A spread for chicken and turkey sandwiches, dips, a source for grilled
> veggies and so on. But mostly I just eat it with a spoon. Great stuff.
> Warning: WF carries both mild and hot. The hot is probably hotter than most
> people would want unless, of course, you really like hot.

My local Long's Drugs (Davis, CA) sells a Bulgarian line of condiments
which includes hot and mild ajvar and another product that resembles
home made ajvar. They're quite good and taste just like the ajvar I had
in Croatia.

D.

Ajvar Michael Nielsen[_4_] General Cooking 9 07-08-2014 10:34 PM
Ajvar!!! Gorio General Cooking 18 01-03-2013 12:18 AM
Ajvar Liz Matheson Recipes (moderated) 0 20-02-2006 02:27 AM
Ajvar Liz Matheson Recipes (moderated) 0 20-02-2006 02:24 AM
Ajvar (2) Collection Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD Recipes (moderated) 0 20-02-2006 02:09 AM