Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My CSA box on August 22

The latest box contained:

6 ears of "Aztec Blue" corn on the cob
tomatoes: 1 bag of mixed heirlooms, 1 pint of red cherry, and 1 pint of
"Sungold" cherry
3 small cucumbers
1 MONSTER zucchini and a small zucchini
4 beets
1 bunch (about 1 1/2 pounds) baby maroon carrots
2 pounds string beans
5 big chard leaves (with about a foot of stem on each one)
8 heads of garlic
1 casaba melon
1 bag of sunflower sprouts
1 basket of Black Mission figs
1 big bunch (about a pound) of Black Emerald grapes
1 Gala apple
6 Kelsey (green) plums and 10 El Dorado (purple-black) plums

I was out of the kitchen for a few days after getting this stuff, so I
haven't used up much of it. I ran a bunch of tomatoes through the food
processor and then strained them through a coffee filter to get a clear pink
liquid which I added to a mixture of Mexican crema, saffron, and big chunks
of Bering Sea king crab. I had the figs as snacks, with a drizzle of cherry
balsamic (tradizionale) vinegar. My house guests have eaten a couple of the
plums and made inroads into the grapes, and I brought about six or seven
plums to work with me tonight.

I haven't found a chard preparation that I really like. Maybe I'll try it in
a lamb curry. That's the most perishable of the produce I still have left,
so I'll try to get on that soon.

What do you do with just one apple, other than eat it out of hand? I guess I
could make a couple mini-tarts. Are Gala apples good for cooking, or are
they better raw? I could always put the apple into a Waldorf salad if Galas
aren't good cooking apples.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> The latest box contained:
>
> 6 ears of "Aztec Blue" corn on the cob
> tomatoes: 1 bag of mixed heirlooms, 1 pint of red cherry, and 1 pint of
> "Sungold" cherry
> 3 small cucumbers
> 1 MONSTER zucchini and a small zucchini
> 4 beets
> 1 bunch (about 1 1/2 pounds) baby maroon carrots
> 2 pounds string beans
> 5 big chard leaves (with about a foot of stem on each one)
> 8 heads of garlic
> 1 casaba melon
> 1 bag of sunflower sprouts
> 1 basket of Black Mission figs
> 1 big bunch (about a pound) of Black Emerald grapes
> 1 Gala apple
> 6 Kelsey (green) plums and 10 El Dorado (purple-black) plums
>
> I was out of the kitchen for a few days after getting this stuff, so I
> haven't used up much of it. I ran a bunch of tomatoes through the food
> processor and then strained them through a coffee filter to get a clear pink
> liquid which I added to a mixture of Mexican crema, saffron, and big chunks
> of Bering Sea king crab. I had the figs as snacks, with a drizzle of cherry
> balsamic (tradizionale) vinegar. My house guests have eaten a couple of the
> plums and made inroads into the grapes, and I brought about six or seven
> plums to work with me tonight.
>
> I haven't found a chard preparation that I really like. Maybe I'll try it in
> a lamb curry. That's the most perishable of the produce I still have left,
> so I'll try to get on that soon.
>
> What do you do with just one apple, other than eat it out of hand? I guess I
> could make a couple mini-tarts. Are Gala apples good for cooking, or are
> they better raw? I could always put the apple into a Waldorf salad if Galas
> aren't good cooking apples.
>
> Bob

Yes, the Gala apples are very good eating, raw. I wouldn't cook them.
You're going to be busy with all that produce. Enjoy!
Cheers, Nancree

August tea toci Tea 2 05-09-2013 12:41 PM
Abstinence from food (22 August to 31 August) Confusor General Cooking 0 20-08-2012 05:12 PM
Abstinence from food (11 August to 20 August) Confusor General Cooking 0 11-08-2012 12:26 AM
Abstinence from food (1 August to 10 August) Confusor General Cooking 0 31-07-2012 12:37 AM
August teas toci Tea 0 01-08-2010 09:12 PM