Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favourite Chocolate Brownie recipe?

I start nights on Monday, for seven days of torture! I always cook a cake or
something for my staff on the first night, just to make it pass a little
quicker.
It's amazing how many of the doctors in the hospital find an excuse to visit
theatres on a Monday night! Once the theatre staff and the domestics (Who
spend every night scrubbing the days ick away) have had their share,
anything left is eaten by the nearest surgeon/ anaesthetist.
I really fancy making brownies for tomorrow evening, but the Delia Smith
recipe I usually make is a little rich and 'greasy I think their is too much
dark chocolate to the tiny 2 oz of flour.
does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:
> I start nights on Monday, for seven days of torture! I always cook a cake or
> something for my staff on the first night, just to make it pass a little
> quicker.
> It's amazing how many of the doctors in the hospital find an excuse to visit
> theatres on a Monday night! Once the theatre staff and the domestics (Who
> spend every night scrubbing the days ick away) have had their share,
> anything left is eaten by the nearest surgeon/ anaesthetist.
> I really fancy making brownies for tomorrow evening, but the Delia Smith
> recipe I usually make is a little rich and 'greasy I think their is too much
> dark chocolate to the tiny 2 oz of flour.
> does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?
>

> Sarah

I hope I remember that this is the way I made it. I have not made
these in a while. They are not greasy. Good luck on your night shift.

Chocolate Brownies

1 cup (1/2 lb) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

2 cups granulated sugar (I use less)

4 large eggs

1 teaspoon REAL (do not use imitation) Vanilla extract

4 oz UNSWEETENED (without sugar in it) chocolate, melted

1 teaspoon milk

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs, one at the
time and beat until well incorporated. Add the vanilla, milk and the
melted
chocolate and mix. Add the flour and mix the dough until all the flour
is blended in. Add the walnuts.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9" x 9" or 8" x 8" baking
pans.
Scrape all the dough into the buttered pans and bake for 20 to 30
minutes, until the top of the cake feels dry and an inserted wooden
toothpick comes out clean.

From the Settlement Cook Book.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks Margaret, your recipe looks just what I need!
I'll be cooking tommorow morning, I'll lt you know the results!
Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:19:07 GMT, "Sarah" >
wrote:

>does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate-Orange Fudge Brownies

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Cookies/Bars Signature Dishes

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened (10 ounces)
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 teaspoons orange zest -- if desired
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cocoa
2 cups flour

Heat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom only of 9x13-inch rectangular baking
pan. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing
well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add baking powder, salt,
cocoa, and flour; mix just until all ingredients are moistened and
mixture is smooth - do not over-mix.

Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or
until brownies just begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool
completely.

Cut into bars and serve.

Source:
"adapted from a recipe by Land O'Lakes"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes 24-48 brownies. They're rich, so I cut them small.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:19:07 GMT, "Sarah" >
> wrote:
>
>>does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Chocolate-Orange Fudge Brownies
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Categories : Cookies/Bars Signature Dishes

> 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened (10 ounces)
> 2 1/2 cups sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon orange extract
> 2 teaspoons orange zest -- if desired
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2/3 cup cocoa
> 2 cups flour
>
> Heat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom only of 9x13-inch rectangular baking
> pan. Set aside.
>
> Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing
> well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add baking powder, salt,
> cocoa, and flour; mix just until all ingredients are moistened and
> mixture is smooth - do not over-mix.
>
> Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or
> until brownies just begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool
> completely.
>
> Cut into bars and serve.
>
> Source:
> "adapted from a recipe by Land O'Lakes"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES : Makes 24-48 brownies. They're rich, so I cut them small.

I've never seen orange extract, I'll look for some as these sound great.

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:
> I start nights on Monday, for seven days of torture! I always cook a cake or
> something for my staff on the first night, just to make it pass a little
> quicker.
> It's amazing how many of the doctors in the hospital find an excuse to visit
> theatres on a Monday night! Once the theatre staff and the domestics (Who
> spend every night scrubbing the days ick away) have had their share,
> anything left is eaten by the nearest surgeon/ anaesthetist.
> I really fancy making brownies for tomorrow evening, but the Delia Smith
> recipe I usually make is a little rich and 'greasy I think their is too much
> dark chocolate to the tiny 2 oz of flour.
> does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?
>

> Sarah

This sounds ridiculous but the Jiffy brownie mix is awesome if you
layer 1/2 the batter in a greased loaf pan, top with a half-handful of
semi-sweet chocolate chips, layer the other half of the batter and then
top with another half-handful of chips. Bake as directed until done
(slightly underbaked). People *die* for my recipe for these. Little
do they know I cheat!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote in message
. uk...
>I start nights on Monday, for seven days of torture! I always cook a cake
>or something for my staff on the first night, just to make it pass a little
>quicker.
>> does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?

> Sarah

I've tried several recipes and always go back to the one from my Betty
Crocker cook book.

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Melt the chocolate and the butter together. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, salt
and vanilla, stir until mixed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until
completely mixed. Pour into greased 9X13. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
They don't test done. Just take them out and let them cool. Or let them
cool just enough to handle and eat!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:19:07 GMT, "Sarah" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>does anyone have a favourite recipe I could try please?

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Chocolate-Orange Fudge Brownies
>>
>> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
>> Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:20
>> Categories : Cookies/Bars Signature Dishes
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened (10 ounces)
>> 2 1/2 cups sugar
>> 4 large eggs
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> 1 teaspoon orange extract
>> 2 teaspoons orange zest -- if desired
>> 1 teaspoon baking powder
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 2/3 cup cocoa
>> 2 cups flour
>>
>> Heat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom only of 9x13-inch rectangular baking
>> pan. Set aside.
>>
>> Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing
>> well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add baking powder, salt,
>> cocoa, and flour; mix just until all ingredients are moistened and
>> mixture is smooth - do not over-mix.
>>
>> Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or
>> until brownies just begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool
>> completely.
>>
>> Cut into bars and serve.
>>
>> Source:
>> "adapted from a recipe by Land O'Lakes"
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> NOTES : Makes 24-48 brownies. They're rich, so I cut them small.

> I've never seen orange extract, I'll look for some as these sound great.
>
> Sarah

I made this recipe a few weeks back, because we love orange chocolate a
Christmas time. I even found real orange extract not the imitation. The
brownies though tasted a little odd to us. I was thinking should I make
them again I'd try adding some orange zest to add a more authentic orange
taste to them.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 00:36:22 GMT, "King's Crown" >
wrote:

>"Sarah" > wrote in message
.uk...

>> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Chocolate-Orange Fudge Brownies

>> I've never seen orange extract, I'll look for some as these sound great.
>>

>I made this recipe a few weeks back, because we love orange chocolate a
>Christmas time. I even found real orange extract not the imitation. The
>brownies though tasted a little odd to us. I was thinking should I make
>them again I'd try adding some orange zest to add a more authentic orange
>taste to them.

The orange flavoring and/or zest is purely optional. You can use just
vanilla for regular brownies.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Now I have the problem of which recipe to follow! It could be a chocolate
brownie week!
I'll need more nuts and chocolate!
Thanks everyone for posting.

Sarah