Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default do you ever bake sweet & savory dishes at the same time?

I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
> going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
> in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
> out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

I have always wondered about this - I have never been brave enough to
try it. I suspect volitile oils are liberated so I would think the
flavors would mingle.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
> going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
> in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
> out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

i did once
i was in a frenetic kitchen mood, hot fudge sundae cake, chocolate chunk
cookies, garlic bread and croutons.

the cookies had a bit of a funk but it seemed that no one noticed it until i
mentioned it and they thought about it. then they could detect it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:00:53 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
>going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
>in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
>out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

I'll bake more than one thing at a time, but only if they're both
savoury, or both sweet... (like pot pie and a roast chicken and
potatoes...) If I want to do a sweet as well I'll put it in the oven
as soon as the savoury dish comes out, and that doesn't seem to hurt
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> tert in seattle wrote:
> > I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
> > going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
> > in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
> > out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

> I have always wondered about this - I have never been brave enough to
> try it. I suspect volitile oils are liberated so I would think the
> flavors would mingle.

Yep. Smell and taste are so closely commingled. I am not sure I could
stand the smell of these things baking together!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Yep. Smell and taste are so closely commingled. I am not sure I could
> stand the smell of these things baking together!

I often bake apple or pumpkin pies in the oven when casseroles are
cooking. I've never noticed any flavor transfer or unpleasant cooking
odors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
> going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
> in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
> out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

Earlier this week I did four round dark-chocolate cake layers at the
same time as I was roasting a head of garlic (wrapped in foil and olive
oil). I was nervous about it, but I was also seriously pressed for
time. Fortunately, there was no taste or odor transfer from the garlic
to the chocolate cake (none that I could detect -- and I was actively
looking/tasting/smelling for it, and none that was mentioned by others
when I asked).

Perhaps if I were baking a sweet that was less flavorful than the dark
chocolate it would have been an issue. For example, I'd not try it
with a plain cheesecake.

Alexis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexis wrote:

> tert in seattle wrote:
>> I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
>> going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
>> in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
>> out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

> Earlier this week I did four round dark-chocolate cake layers at the
> same time as I was roasting a head of garlic (wrapped in foil and olive
> oil). I was nervous about it, but I was also seriously pressed for
> time. Fortunately, there was no taste or odor transfer from the garlic
> to the chocolate cake (none that I could detect -- and I was actively
> looking/tasting/smelling for it, and none that was mentioned by others
> when I asked).
>
> Perhaps if I were baking a sweet that was less flavorful than the dark
> chocolate it would have been an issue. For example, I'd not try it
> with a plain cheesecake.
>
> Alexis.

when i'm pressed for time I will microwave the garlic.
i take the bulb with the papery outside peeled off and put it in a tupperware
with a drizzle of oil. lay the cover on top (don't seal) and microwave for
about 2 minutes.
It's not perfect but it's a great alternative for when I am needing to hurry.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo > wrote:

>when i'm pressed for time I will microwave the garlic.
>i take the bulb with the papery outside peeled off and put it in a tupperware
>with a drizzle of oil. lay the cover on top (don't seal) and microwave for
>about 2 minutes.
>It's not perfect but it's a great alternative for when I am needing to hurry.

I'm not sure how imperfect it is even. My procedure is to
chop the garlic, moisten it a bit with EVOO and wine winegar,
and microwave for about 70 seconds. Then it goes directly in
the final dish right before serving, substituting for
garlic that had been sauteeed a bit in olive oil.

It is also a method for making the garlic component of
a "chow chow" to be served on burgers or hot dogs.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

<snip>

> when i'm pressed for time I will microwave the garlic.
> i take the bulb with the papery outside peeled off and put it in a tupperware
> with a drizzle of oil. lay the cover on top (don't seal) and microwave for
> about 2 minutes.
> It's not perfect but it's a great alternative for when I am needing to hurry.

That's what I should have done (I microwave it sometimes as well --
with olive oil only though. I've never used vinegar on it as suggested
elsethread. I'll give that a try next time). I had it in the oven
before I decided to do the cakes and just wasn't thinking it through or
I'd have taken it out. I do think that the foil kept the taste and
aroma "sealed" and away from the cake.

Alexis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> I've never experimented so I don't have evidence but, if I was
> going to bake chocolate chip cookies and some nice garlicky croutons
> in the oven at the same time don't you think the cookies would come
> out tasting like croutons and vice versa...??

I wouldn't recommend it. There smell component to taste, and some things
are quite potent. Garlic is near the top of the list for that. There is
a good chance that you would end up with chocolate chip cookies that
tasted of garlic.

FWIW.... last night my wife made me an espresso after dinner. I
complained that it tasted like detergent. She said it couldn't and that
her's didn't. She tried mine. Sure enough, she got the detergent taste.
We both agreed that it was more a smell than a taste. I find the aroma
therapy dish detergents keep their suds longer, but the fragrance
lingers. I have to be very careful to rinse things. My wine guru does
not wash his wine glasses with detergent. He uses hot water and paper
towels because he doesn't want the nose (his or the wine's ) to be
tainted.