Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So...what'd you eat today??

It was a pretty warm morning, so I had some fruit for breakfast and decided to skip
anything else. Watermelon, pineapple, honeydew, nectarines, pluots, apriums,
strawberries and blueberries. I cut up the melon and pineapples, sliced the stone
fruits and halved the strawberries. Very refreshing!
The real coup of the day, though, was dinner. I bought some Rib-eye steaks and New
York Strip steaks, and my darling husband made the most delicious chimichurri sauce
to marinate them in. I saved about 3/4 of a cup and we spooned it over the finished
steaks. I'll include the recipe for y'all below. They were marinated for about 45
minutes. We grilled the steaks, slightly charred on the outside, medium rare inside.
Wow. I have to say, they were the best steaks I ever had. So tender and flavorful. I
served cous cous pilaf and chopped salad along side, along with a big bowl of the
fruit from this morning. Everyone is satisfied and smiling!!

What did you all eat today??

Brian's Chimichurri

8 large or 12 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup *good* EVOO
1 cup cilantro
3 cups flat leaf parsley

Use your food processor here, folks. Start with the garlic, one at a time, but don't
wait in between for more than a second or so. Add the chicken broth, lime juice, red
wine vinegar, EVOO, cilantro and parsley. Process for about 30-45 seconds. All of the
cilantro and parsley should be in tiny pieces.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:02:52 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>What did you all eat today??

Cantaloupe
Pasta salad with tuna
Corn muffins
Leftover taco salad
Barbecued chicken (not really -- baked chicken with barbecue sauce,
but that's what we cretins call it around here)
a pecan roll
Broccoli in cheese sauce
And probably some other stuff.

Not all at once.

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-05, Nexis > wrote:

> What did you all eat today??

I had a big ol' Southern breakfast. Sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, biscuits, gravy,
eggs, coffee.... burp! I haven't eaten since. Jes drinking beer.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> What did you all eat today??

Stuffed mushrooms
crab cakes on an arugula salad accompanied by pinot grigio
rib eye roast on the rotisserie (we took it off the rotisserie to eat it)
accompanied by cabernet sauvignon
baked potato
asparagus with parmesan cheese
chocolate gelato
strawberry gelato
pistachio gelato

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-05, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> Stuffed mushrooms
> crab cakes on an arugula salad accompanied by pinot grigio
> rib eye roast on the rotisserie (we took it off the rotisserie to eat it)
> accompanied by cabernet sauvignon
> baked potato
> asparagus with parmesan cheese
> chocolate gelato
> strawberry gelato
> pistachio gelato

Which one of those was smoked?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:02:52 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>What did you all eat today??

Cereal, skim milk & bananer for breakfast

lunch was Pete's Chopped Salad
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...b0d996a?&hl=en

whole wheat pita stuffed with veggies--cucumber, onion, sliced green &
red pepper, lettuce.
Some homemade yogurt

Supper: salad of pear, gorgonzola, candied walnuts, & spinach

A few minutes ago: coffee ice cream
A bit of a chocolate bar in the afternoon.

Thanks for this recipe!
>Brian's Chimichurri

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:02:52 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>Brian's Chimichurri

<snipping and saving yummy-sounding recipe>

We put on a pretty lavish spread. If you're prone to culinary
jealousy, this might be a good time to move on to the next post.

Crash lit some charcoal (about enough to do a side of beef). I
divided a chub of 80/20 ground beef in half. Mixed chopped onions
into (my) half and left one half plain and pitiful. Flattened them so
they'd be the size of a slice of bread when grilled (no buns).

Went to bring the mega-patties outside, and the kitten was joyfully
eating one side of Crash's raw hamburger, and one the dogs was
chomping away at one of the other sides.

Brought what was left outside and discovered a friend of Crash's from
St. Paul standing in the driveway. He just moved here, and didn't
have our phone number yet, so he dropped in to announce his intention
of visiting in the next day or so. This is cool. He's a foodie and
computer freak, so I'm going to try to recruit him to RFC. If nothing
else, we have someone to have mini-cook-ins with!

ANYWAY .. we put the burgers on the grill and Crash decided that what
was left of his burger would never keep him alive for any meaningful
length of time. So he went in and got some hot dogs.

One hot dog was fine. The second managed to somehow fall into the
charcoal. Another hot dog was brought to the grill. This one fell on
the driveway while Crash tried to balance it on a spatula. The dog who
hadn't had raw beef quickly chowed it down. Crash wasn't taking any
chances at this point. He brought out the last two. Burned 'em
black! Poor guy. But *I* had a magnificent burger!

Since there was still enough charcoal going to roast a whole lamb, we
trotted out another pound of ground beef and made 1/2 pound burgers to
heat up tomorrow. Mine with onion, his pitiful.

Crash had ketchup, mustard, and bread and butter (icky) pickles, bread
slices, and hot dog buns. I had an onion burger.

Unless you count the condiments, there were no side dishes.

Now there, aren't ya jealous? Heehee! (It was good)

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> What did you all eat today??

Breakfast was a quickie English muffin with butter and cinnamon sugar,
and cottage cheese with mango. Lunch was at our friends house - they
are Indian. We went swimming in their pool and then she made (well,
reheated) some awesome Indian dishes - paneer tikkis, chapati, biryani,
aloo goby, and navratan korma. After that, I was pretty full all day.
We went for a hike, came home and napped. DS (Juicy J) wanted a
"happy cake" so I doctored up a lemon cake mix with canned pineapple,
then made a pineapple custard from the juice, topped the cake with the
custard, and then frosted it with a cream-cheese/buttercream frosting.
Just for fun I put a candle in J's cake and sang him "Happy Fireworks
Day to you!" He rewarded me by smearing some in his freshly-washed and
styled hair.

I think I may have a drink and go to bed early tonight. It's been a
looong day!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Slept in so no breakfast.

Texas chili with corn cakes for dinner.

Too many chili peppers - which is why I am still awake at 1:30am. And
beans - which is why the cats are in the living room.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> On 2006-07-05, Nexis > wrote:
>
>> What did you all eat today??

> I had a big ol' Southern breakfast. Sausage, bacon, hashbrowns,
> biscuits, gravy, eggs, coffee.... burp! I haven't eaten since. Jes
> drinking beer.
>
> nb

nb,

Sounds like you took a page out of my life! Nothin' green. :-)

A whole oven-roasted chicken...

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kimberly asked:

> What did you all eat today??

Breakfast: carrot-bran muffin with raisins, cinnamon toast, iced coffee with
sweetened condensed milk (a.k.a. Vietnamese coffee), orange-tangerine juice.

Lunch: rice paper wrappers with leftover garlic chicken, sunflower sprouts,
cucumber spears, and sriracha; 2 "donut" peaches, iced mango tea.

Dinner: braised-and-grilled pork spare ribs, tossed salad, potato-vegetable
salad, frozen grapes, fruit (watermelon cubes and halved figs) with
cherry balsamico tradizionale.[1]

Late-night snack: salad with lettuce, garlic chicken, kalamata olives,
cherry tomatoes, toasted almond slices, and a carrot vinaigrette.[2]

Bob
[1] This is vinegar that's 50 years old and has been aged exclusively in
cherrywood casks. *Very* good stuff. The cork on the vinegar bottle
crumbled when I tried to pull it out normally, so I had to use a corkscrew
to extract the remainder of the cork. Then I didn't have any way to seal the
bottle, so I decanted the vinegar into a squeeze bottle. Talk about an
expensive garnish! But it was amazing with the watermelon and figs.

[2] On a recently repeated episode of "Good Eats," a sidebar comment was
that vegetable purées can be used to emulsify vinaigrettes. As an
experiment, I tried mixing white vinegar, grapeseed oil, salt, and pepper
with cooked carrot pulp. The pulp had been left behind after making carrot
juice; I steamed it for about ten minutes and let it cool before using it in
this salad dressing. I think the carrot pulp worked fine as an emulsifier,
but it didn't have much taste of its own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:
> What did you all eat today??

Rice...omelet...chicken roast ...very delicious

--
http://www.cookdojo.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> It was a pretty warm morning, so I had some fruit for breakfast and decided to skip
> anything else. Watermelon, pineapple, honeydew, nectarines, pluots, apriums,
> strawberries and blueberries. I cut up the melon and pineapples, sliced the stone
> fruits and halved the strawberries. Very refreshing!
> The real coup of the day, though, was dinner. I bought some Rib-eye steaks and New
> York Strip steaks, and my darling husband made the most delicious chimichurri sauce
> to marinate them in. I saved about 3/4 of a cup and we spooned it over the finished
> steaks. I'll include the recipe for y'all below. They were marinated for about 45
> minutes. We grilled the steaks, slightly charred on the outside, medium rare inside.
> Wow. I have to say, they were the best steaks I ever had. So tender and flavorful. I
> served cous cous pilaf and chopped salad along side, along with a big bowl of the
> fruit from this morning. Everyone is satisfied and smiling!!
>
> What did you all eat today??

I started off with a bowl of Shredded Wheat with half a banana, a slice of whole wheat
toast with strawberry jam and a Latte. My wife had a leg waxing appointment in another
town and I had her drop me and my bicycle off and I went for a 24 mile bike ride with
plans to meet here at the salon. I stopped at a small bakery along the way off and had a
delicious date square and a bottle of strawberry- raspberry juice. The salon is next to
a nice little bakery that makes everything from scratch so we went over there and I had a
rhubarb muffin and a coffee.

I felt like riding more so I had her drop me off again about 5 miles from home and rode
the bike the rest of the way. After mowing the back yard and spraying some weeds I had a
beer. Dinner was tandoori chicken that had been marinating all day, Basmati rice,
cucumber and yoghurt salad and broccoli. Dessert was chocolate chips cookies and espresso
gelato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

An adult type BBQ for the 2 of us as the kids were working or partying
elsewhere.
Chicken sticks with Peanut Sauce, Rice Pilaf, Roasted red peppers made
into a simple salad, and a hot fudge sauce with fresh pears, apples,
strawberries, bananas and marshmallows to dip. We sat eating this
glorious feast while watching the movie "Vanity Fair".

We didn't bother making the chicken into cubes on sticks but instead
boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thirds (used 3 breasts).
Used half Penzey's sweet curry, half Penzey's Hot Oriental with fabulous
results! The peanut sauce was wonderful on the rice pilaf also.

The rice was simply finely diced onions and celery sauteed in butter and
olive oil, the rice browned then cooked in chicken stock. Finely diced
zucchini (a small one)added near the end of the cooking time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Sticks with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Poultry

1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 pounds boned and skinned chicken breast halves -- cut
in 1" cubes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch ground cinnamon
1/4 cup boiling water

Combine all of the first 9 ingredients for marinade. Add chicken and mix
well. Cover and marinate in icebox for 2 hours.

Prepare the peanut sauce: Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet over
low heat. Add onion and garlic, cook, stiring til wilted-about 5 min.
Add curry powder and tabasco, cook 2-3 min to mellow flavors. Stir in
cream and water, then stir in the peanut butter, lemon juice, brown
sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low.
Simmer gently until the sauce thickens, about 5 min. Place in food
processor and process til smooth, adding the boiling water slowly
through the feed tube to bind the sauce. Scrape the sauce into a bowl
and reserve.

Thread the chicken evenly on 6 skewers. Grill over hot coals, 3 inches
from heat for 5 min per side. Serve with peanut sauce.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What did you all eat today??

Yesterday, the 4th, I had to work. While there, I had:

For Breakfast - a bowl of cereal w/ skim milk and coffee

For a Snack - a small handfull of almonds before lunch and celery
stuffed with a cheese substance (read:laughing cow light) after lunch.

For Lunch - a leftover porkchop that had been sprinkled with garlic
powder, colmans dry mustard and lemon juice before it was pan fried,
broccoli and a salad of avacado, onion and tomato.

For dinner - burgers on the grill, onions and mushrooms sauted in a bit
of butter and worstershire, and green beans w/ toasted slivered almonds
all wahed down with iced tea.

NancyJaye

Posted to rec.food.cooking

NancyJaye wrote:

> > What did you all eat today??
> >

> Yesterday, the 4th, I had to work. While there, I had:

OK - I went home before dinner. :-)

> For Breakfast - a bowl of cereal w/ skim milk and coffee
>
> For a Snack - a small handfull of almonds before lunch and celery
> stuffed with a cheese substance (read:laughing cow light) after lunch.
>

> For Lunch - a leftover porkchop that had been sprinkled with garlic
> powder, colmans dry mustard and lemon juice before it was pan fried,
> broccoli and a salad of avacado, onion and tomato.
>
> For dinner - burgers on the grill, onions and mushrooms sauted in a bit
> of butter and worstershire, and green beans w/ toasted slivered almonds
> all wahed down with iced tea.
>
> NancyJaye

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 23:38:01 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>One hot dog was fine. The second managed to somehow fall into the
>charcoal. Another hot dog was brought to the grill. This one fell on
>the driveway while Crash tried to balance it on a spatula. The dog who
>hadn't had raw beef quickly chowed it down. Crash wasn't taking any
>chances at this point. He brought out the last two. Burned 'em
>black! Poor guy. But *I* had a magnificent burger!

Poor guy? That's the best way to eat hot dogs!

Sue(tm)

Today's fun Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 0 08-07-2010 08:10 PM
Got a new one today Marilyn[_3_] General Cooking 0 16-04-2010 06:47 AM
Today Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 24-01-2009 06:30 AM
Today Is. . . . . Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 6 14-01-2006 09:39 PM
That's it for today terrymcintire Recipes 1 16-10-2004 06:09 PM