Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gelson's Markets' Carts (was: Baggers, Curl Up And DIE !!!!)

<rant on>

The thread about baggers (and now morphed into a thread about grocery
carts) made me think of one of the minor irritants in my life:
Gelson's supermarket carts. I have been in probably 5 separate
Gelson's in SoCal and *not one* has had a cart that doesn't crab
sideways. You cannot, simply cannot push their carts straight. And if
I'm in sandals, which I usually in (it's SoCal, after all), pushing
even a mildly full cart around corners is a major pain in the rear
end.

What is the deal with Gelson's shopping carts? Anyone else notice
this?

<rant off>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> The thread about baggers (and now morphed into a thread about grocery
> carts) made me think of one of the minor irritants in my life:
> Gelson's supermarket carts. I have been in probably 5 separate
> Gelson's in SoCal and *not one* has had a cart that doesn't crab
> sideways. You cannot, simply cannot push their carts straight. And if
> I'm in sandals, which I usually in (it's SoCal, after all), pushing
> even a mildly full cart around corners is a major pain in the rear
> end.
>
> What is the deal with Gelson's shopping carts? Anyone else notice
> this?

That's exactly right. The wheels don't lock so you can push the
cart directly sideways. This is so you can get around easier in
crowded areas. You can do other neat tricks with them too, like
spin 'em around like a top. Pushing them in a straight line did
take a little getting used to.

I call that a feature

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
> > The thread about baggers (and now morphed into a thread about grocery
> > carts) made me think of one of the minor irritants in my life:
> > Gelson's supermarket carts. I have been in probably 5 separate
> > Gelson's in SoCal and *not one* has had a cart that doesn't crab
> > sideways. You cannot, simply cannot push their carts straight. And if
> > I'm in sandals, which I usually in (it's SoCal, after all), pushing
> > even a mildly full cart around corners is a major pain in the rear
> > end.
> >
> > What is the deal with Gelson's shopping carts? Anyone else notice
> > this?

> That's exactly right. The wheels don't lock so you can push the
> cart directly sideways. This is so you can get around easier in
> crowded areas. You can do other neat tricks with them too, like
> spin 'em around like a top. Pushing them in a straight line did
> take a little getting used to.
>
> I call that a feature
>
> --
> Reg

==================
I think Terry 's referring to the ones (most of them) that have wheels
that are clogged with lint, food wrappings and accumulated junk. I
find that a complaint to management often helps.
Cheers, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:

> I think Terry 's referring to the ones (most of them) that have wheels
> that are clogged with lint, food wrappings and accumulated junk.

Wrong you are.

The "directionless carts" are distinctive of Gelson's Market.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:13:56 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

><rant on>
>
>The thread about baggers (and now morphed into a thread about grocery
>carts) made me think of one of the minor irritants in my life:
>Gelson's supermarket carts. I have been in probably 5 separate
>Gelson's in SoCal and *not one* has had a cart that doesn't crab
>sideways. You cannot, simply cannot push their carts straight. And if
>I'm in sandals, which I usually in (it's SoCal, after all), pushing
>even a mildly full cart around corners is a major pain in the rear
>end.
>
>What is the deal with Gelson's shopping carts? Anyone else notice
>this?
>
><rant off>

Interesting. I live about 4 blocks from the Gelson's in Studio City
(so consequently I shop there a lot), and I've never once encountered
a wonky shopping cart. I've always been struck by the fact that all
Gelson's carts are perfect, whereas I always go through three or four
at the nearby Ralphs and Vons before I find one that works and isn't
filled with other people's trash.

Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:31:15 GMT, cathy >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Interesting. I live about 4 blocks from the Gelson's in Studio City
>(so consequently I shop there a lot), and I've never once encountered
>a wonky shopping cart. I've always been struck by the fact that all
>Gelson's carts are perfect, whereas I always go through three or four
>at the nearby Ralphs and Vons before I find one that works and isn't
>filled with other people's trash.

Must be a SoCal thing - d*mned things can't be pushed straight to save
ya.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:31:15 GMT, cathy >
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>> Interesting. I live about 4 blocks from the Gelson's in Studio City
>> (so consequently I shop there a lot), and I've never once encountered
>> a wonky shopping cart. I've always been struck by the fact that all
>> Gelson's carts are perfect, whereas I always go through three or four
>> at the nearby Ralphs and Vons before I find one that works and isn't
>> filled with other people's trash.

> Must be a SoCal thing - d*mned things can't be pushed straight to save
> ya.

Do you think that might be deliberate, to discourage them being walked
blocks away. If it's too easy, they might wander more often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> <rant on>
>
> The thread about baggers (and now morphed into a thread about grocery
> carts) made me think of one of the minor irritants in my life:
> Gelson's supermarket carts. I have been in probably 5 separate
> Gelson's in SoCal and *not one* has had a cart that doesn't crab
> sideways. You cannot, simply cannot push their carts straight. And if
> I'm in sandals, which I usually in (it's SoCal, after all), pushing
> even a mildly full cart around corners is a major pain in the rear
> end.
>
> What is the deal with Gelson's shopping carts? Anyone else notice
> this?

Hi Terry,

Have you ever been to the store in Pasadena? (just down the road from
Monrovia?) The store is inside the Plaza Pasadena shopping mall on the top
level, and after the purchases are paid for, you get to ride in an elevator
down to the parking level, with your cart to get to your vehicle...a new
shopping experience.

Harriet & critters