Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

Default Aioli was Mark as Catch-up

"Ms Leebee" > wrote in
:

> back after some time away, moving house and being lazy ...
>
> Had some commercially made Aioli today ( Neil Perry - don't bother )
> and thought of d.
> I'd also 'not bother' with the chilli&lime mayo. Very disappointing,
> IMO - make your own.
>
> ( http://www.neilperryfresh.com )

Bugger!!

I just bought some Creamy Pesto Dressing yesterday!!

http://www.neilperryfresh.com/npf_product.aspx?id=53

I did see some other commercial Aioli at the same time, but it wasn't
Perry's. There was a Carmalised Roasted garlic, Lime and Pepper, and
something else which I can't remember. Will be going back for a second
look and see what it's like later, when my throat doesn't feel like I've
been swallowing crushed glass, the coughing fits have eased and the tap
gets turned off in my nose!!

Bloody office workers!! One gets sick, they all get sick, then they
bring it home to share :-/

But, on aioli........ I usually make my own. 1/2&1/2 of S&W mayo and
sour cream, then whatever amount of roasted garlic you want, with a
couple of cloves of fresh stuff crushed into it as well.

Will be doing the lime/lemon and pepper/chilli next time.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jun 2006 23:15:23 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>But, on aioli........ I usually make my own. 1/2&1/2 of S&W mayo and
>sour cream, then whatever amount of roasted garlic you want, with a
>couple of cloves of fresh stuff crushed into it as well.

That's not aioli, that's garlic mayo (and no, it^s not the same
thing!)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva > wrote in
:

> On 20 Jun 2006 23:15:23 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>
>>But, on aioli........ I usually make my own. 1/2&1/2 of S&W mayo and
>>sour cream, then whatever amount of roasted garlic you want, with a
>>couple of cloves of fresh stuff crushed into it as well.

> That's not aioli, that's garlic mayo (and no, it^s not the same
> thing!)
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

Don't know what you smoke in Switzerland Nathalie, but aioli *is* garlic
mayo. Granted, the mayo is supposed to be home made, but hey...!!

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/aioli

Aioli — aïoli (French spelling) or aiòli (Modern Provençal spelling)
from the Provençal aiet ("garlic") and oli ("oil"), pronounced [aj'oli]
— is a cold sauce made of garlic, egg, acid (lemon juice or vinegar),
and olive oil, basically a garlic-flavoured mayonnaise.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On 20 Jun 2006 23:15:23 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>>
>>>But, on aioli........ I usually make my own. 1/2&1/2 of S&W mayo and
>>>sour cream, then whatever amount of roasted garlic you want, with a
>>>couple of cloves of fresh stuff crushed into it as well.

>> That's not aioli, that's garlic mayo (and no, it^s not the same
>> thing!)
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland
>>

>Don't know what you smoke in Switzerland Nathalie, but aioli *is* garlic
>mayo. Granted, the mayo is supposed to be home made, but hey...!!
>
>http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/aioli
>
>Aioli — aïoli (French spelling) or aiòli (Modern Provençal spelling)
>from the Provençal aiet ("garlic") and oli ("oil"), pronounced [aj'oli]
>— is a cold sauce made of garlic, egg, acid (lemon juice or vinegar),
>and olive oil, basically a garlic-flavoured mayonnaise.

Yep, but
- Raw garlic, mashed and used from the very beginning. You can even
skip the yolk and get the aioli to the right consistency starting with
only the garlic. And none of that roasted garlic stuff!
- Sour cream ?!? In aioli ?!? Certainly NOT!

Believe me, I've seen my mother and father making aioli since I was a
child, in France.

That's why your recipe make a certain kind of garlic mayo, but not
aioli.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Not Aioli anymore, Switzerland got shitty..... Aioli was Mark as Catch-up

Nathalie Chiva > wrote in
:

> On 21 Jun 2006 07:04:21 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>
>>Nathalie Chiva > wrote in
m:

>>> That's not aioli, that's garlic mayo (and no, it^s not the same
>>> thing!)
>>>
>>> Nathalie in Switzerland
>>>

>>Don't know what you smoke in Switzerland Nathalie, but aioli *is*

garlic
>>mayo. Granted, the mayo is supposed to be home made, but hey...!!
>>
>>http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/aioli
>>
>>Aioli — aïoli (French spelling) or aiòli (Modern Provençal spelling)
>>from the Provençal aiet ("garlic") and oli ("oil"), pronounced

[aj'oli]
>>— is a cold sauce made of garlic, egg, acid (lemon juice or vinegar),
>>and olive oil, basically a garlic-flavoured mayonnaise.

> Yep, but
> - Raw garlic, mashed and used from the very beginning. You can even
> skip the yolk and get the aioli to the right consistency starting with
> only the garlic. And none of that roasted garlic stuff!
> - Sour cream ?!? In aioli ?!? Certainly NOT!
>
> Believe me, I've seen my mother and father making aioli since I was a
> child, in France.
>
> That's why your recipe make a certain kind of garlic mayo, but not
> aioli.

Nathalie..... that is the joy of cooking. You can take something and
turn it around and do your own thing..... and it *still* tastes frikken
great!!

So lets call my stuff Lioli, just for you purists.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Jun 2006 12:57:00 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>Nathalie..... that is the joy of cooking. You can take something and
>turn it around and do your own thing..... and it *still* tastes frikken
>great!!
>
>So lets call my stuff Lioli, just for you purists

Hey, I didn't say your recipe was bad, it's just not aioli, yes I'm a
purist :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Jun 2006 12:57:00 GMT, PeterL wrote:

> Nathalie..... that is the joy of cooking. You can take something and
> turn it around and do your own thing..... and it *still* tastes frikken
> great!!
>
> So lets call my stuff Lioli, just for you purists.

Peter, I mix lemon juice with prepared mayo and call it lemon
mayonaise, not hollandaise. What's wrong with calling yours garlic
mayonaise? It works for me.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.