Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default why does butter last longer than cheese?

Hi all, a couple of sunday morning ponderings for you if I may.

once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
same thing. how does this work?

also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
come?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Hi all, a couple of sunday morning ponderings for you if I may.
>
> once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
> off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
> the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
> same thing. how does this work?
>
> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
> come?
>
> Andy

related:
http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Bioengineerin...logy/index.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> Hi all, a couple of sunday morning ponderings for you if I may.
>>
>> once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
>> off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
>> the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
>> same thing. how does this work?
>>
>> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
>> come?
>>
>> Andy

> related:
> http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Bioengineerin...logy/index.htm

Thank you for that, it is most interesting but I can't actually see the
answer to the question above. I may be missing something and I would be
grateful if you could point it out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe > wrote in news:4ec58297i4l9vqnotk7tklocfupc0j2vub@
4ax.com:

>>once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
>>off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
>>the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
>>same thing. how does this work?

> It has to do with milk solids, which go bad quickly.
> Butter has very few milk solids, it's almost pure fat, while cheese is
> mostly milk solids. Hence cheese goes bad much faster.
> Milk goes bad even faster than cheese because it's not as dense as
> cheese, and bacteria can infiltrate much more easily.

I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for about
6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after almost a year)
peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded. I've also had kraft
sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if it's the enzymes or
lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on 04 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for
> about 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after almost
> a year) peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded. I've also
> had kraft sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if it's the
> enzymes or lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>
> Andy

I believe it has more to do with moisture content than enzymes. The drier
the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote on 04 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

>> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for
>> about 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after
>> almost a year) peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded.
>> I've also had kraft sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if
>> it's the enzymes or lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I believe it has more to do with moisture content than enzymes. The
> drier the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.

Mr. Libido,

That probably explains it clearer.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

q writes:
>Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

>> Andy wrote on 04 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>>

>>> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for
>>> about 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after
>>> almost a year) peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded.
>>> I've also had kraft sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if
>>> it's the enzymes or lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> I believe it has more to do with moisture content than enzymes. The
>> drier the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.

>Mr. Libido,
>
>That probably explains it clearer.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy

here's a fun science experiment ... take 10 or so cheeses that represent
a broad range of moisture contents ... you can get moisture data he
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

individually wrap a small sample of each cheese and put them all in the
fridge ... take your samples out and periodically inspect them for mold
growth ... pictures would help for comparison purposes in retrospect

less patient researchers could redesign the experiment to skip the
refrigeration step

if you want to do a prize winning experiment, also collect data such as
sodium content of the cheeses and see if that affects the results

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
> off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
> the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
> same thing. how does this work?

They're not made of the same thing.

Because cheese consists of about half milk solids it is a much better
host for bacteria than butter which consists of mostly fat and some
water... milk actually has particular bacteria introduced which causes
it to become a particular cheese, whereas it's also very susceptible to
contamination from contact with other bacteria.

> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
> come?

If milk had the same salt content of cheeses it would be as stable if
not more so, especially pasteurized milk.. in fact there is milk that
is super pasteurized and remains fresh many months and without
refrigeration.

I've never had butter last more than a couple-three months in the
fridge before it began to go rancid (I use non-salted)... salted butter
will remain stable a bit longer but I seriously doubt a year, unless
frozen. Perhaps there's somthing amiss about your taster.

Btw, fat in of itself can make a pretty good food preservative (as for
confit), the purer the fat the better (as in ghee).

Didja ever wonder why most all cheeses are of European origin, that's
because they learned early on about bacteria, they don't bathe... a lot
of European cheeses are made by innoculating milk with crotch crud...
the mild cheeses (like brie) from milking maidens... strongly scented
hard dago cheese made at the hands of haggard old smegma fingered
whores. I ain't even gonna say how your stiff upper lips developed
Queen's Crotch Cheddar. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in news:1149429942.026449.285760
@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> in fact there is milk that
> is super pasteurized and remains fresh many months and without
> refrigeration.

You're talking about evaporated fat-free milk. No refrigeration needed. I
enjoy my mini shredded wheat with a chilled cup of it.

A little high in sugar, but a super potassium, vitamin A & D and calcium
boost.

More nutrious than any other milk, from my study.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jun 2006 02:11:57 -0700, "dee" > wrote:

>> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
>> come?
>>
>> Andy

>related:
>http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Bioengineerin...logy/index.htm

Boy that is more than I want to know about why I have to buy cheese more often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "dee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Hi all, a couple of sunday morning ponderings for you if I may.
> >>
> >> once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
> >> off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
> >> the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
> >> same thing. how does this work?
> >>
> >> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
> >> come?
> >>
> >> Andy

> > related:
> > http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Bioengineerin...logy/index.htm

> Thank you for that, it is most interesting but I can't actually see the
> answer to the question above. I may be missing something and I would be
> grateful if you could point it out?

just related

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2006 02:11:57 -0700, "dee" > wrote:
>
> >> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
> >> come?
> >>
> >> Andy

> >related:
> >http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Bioengineerin...logy/index.htm

> Boy that is more than I want to know about why I have to buy cheese more often.

....the bacteria.. tastes goooooood )))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ophelia wrote:
>> "dee" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > related:
>> > http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Bioengineerin...logy/index.htm

>> Thank you for that, it is most interesting but I can't actually see the
>> answer to the question above. I may be missing something and I would be
>> grateful if you could point it out?

> just related

Ok)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in news:1149435935.631741.7470
@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>> "Sheldon" writes:
>>
>> > in fact there is milk that
>> > is super pasteurized and remains fresh many months and without
>> > refrigeration.

>> You're talking about evaporated fat-free milk.

> Nope, regular whole milk in a box.
>
> Andy, you'd be very dangerous in the food industry, you know

absolutely
> Zero about food/cooking.... nothing but disgusting germ laden spittle
> comes out of your rectum, shut it, Andy... no way can you be more than
> 8 years old... do you always just spew before engaging your brain or
> are you brain damaged.
>
> Andy, you're a troll, you're as ignorant as the rest of the spate of
> recently arrived newbie trolls... know-nothings who will never know
> anything.
>
> http://www.diversifiedfoods.com/DFI_BordenUHTmilk.htm
>
> Sheldon

I'm not impressed. Play with your own kind, moron!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Abe > wrote in news:4ec58297i4l9vqnotk7tklocfupc0j2vub@
> 4ax.com:
>
> >>once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
> >>off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
> >>the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically the
> >>same thing. how does this work?

> > It has to do with milk solids, which go bad quickly.
> > Butter has very few milk solids, it's almost pure fat, while cheese is
> > mostly milk solids. Hence cheese goes bad much faster.
> > Milk goes bad even faster than cheese because it's not as dense as
> > cheese, and bacteria can infiltrate much more easily.

> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for about
> 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after almost a year)
> peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded. I've also had kraft
> sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if it's the enzymes or
> lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>
> Andy

I have a small, rock hard piece of parmesan cheese in the butter keeper
that is going on 6 years and has never, ever molded or gone rancid. ;-)

it's very, very rich and a little goes a long way......

I originally paid 12.00 per lb. for it.

I keep it with no wrapping or anything.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote

> I have a small, rock hard piece of parmesan cheese in the butter
> keeper that is going on 6 years and has never, ever molded or gone
> rancid. ;-)
>
> it's very, very rich and a little goes a long way......
>
> I originally paid 12.00 per lb. for it.
>
> I keep it with no wrapping or anything.

Om,

What a relief!!! Here I thought I had freak blocks of cheese!!!

--JUST KIDDING--

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote
>
> > I have a small, rock hard piece of parmesan cheese in the butter
> > keeper that is going on 6 years and has never, ever molded or gone
> > rancid. ;-)
> >
> > it's very, very rich and a little goes a long way......
> >
> > I originally paid 12.00 per lb. for it.
> >
> > I keep it with no wrapping or anything.

> Om,
>
> What a relief!!! Here I thought I had freak blocks of cheese!!!

<grinz>

Mutant cheese......

> --JUST KIDDING--
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy

Seriously, that 6 years was not a typo.
What is the oldest cheese in your 'frige?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote on 04 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

>> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for
>> about 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after almost
>> a year) peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded. I've also
>> had kraft sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if it's the
>> enzymes or lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I believe it has more to do with moisture content than enzymes. The drier
> the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.
>
> --
> -Alan

Since air contains moisture, and since I have a foodsaver vacuum, there is
not a cheese that is opened in my house that isn't vacuumed.
We use several pounds of peccorino romano a month. DH loves that cheese.
Last night we had it as a snack with a home-made ciabatta and wine while
watching a DVD. Better than tater chips, cheese chips, etc. for us. (Yes,
I limit my wine -- darn it!)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cheese mould is a good mould , if you get mould on your cheese , just
cut it off , you can still eat the rest of the cheese

tessa
Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Andy wrote on 04 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for
> > about 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after almost
> > a year) peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded. I've also
> > had kraft sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if it's the
> > enzymes or lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> I believe it has more to do with moisture content than enzymes. The drier
> the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.
>
> --
> -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

we have uht milk over here .,.... in NZ do you have that in the usa ,
its ultra heated treated milk , it not evaporated or sweetend, its just
like fresh milk but tastes slightly milkier if that makes sense, it can
keep int he cupboard for about 6 months or so but once you open it you
treat it like fresh milk and keep it in the fridge for up to about a
week . its great to take camping or just to have a spare in the
cupboard incase you have run out of milk

tessa
Andy wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in news:1149429942.026449.285760
> @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > in fact there is milk that
> > is super pasteurized and remains fresh many months and without
> > refrigeration.

> You're talking about evaporated fat-free milk. No refrigeration needed. I
> enjoy my mini shredded wheat with a chilled cup of it.
>
> A little high in sugar, but a super potassium, vitamin A & D and calcium
> boost.
>
> More nutrious than any other milk, from my study.
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"butterflyangel" > wrote in
oups.com:

> geeez Sheldon thats not necessary , theres no need to be a nasty prat i
> didnt see anything wrong with what andy wrote ,... i think its you with
> the problem
> tessa
> Sheldon wrote:
>> Andy wrote:

>> > You're talking about evaporated fat-free milk.

>> Nope, regular whole milk in a box.
>>
>> Andy, you'd be very dangerous in the food industry, you know

absolutely
>> Zero about food/cooking.... nothing but disgusting germ laden spittle
>> comes out of your rectum, shut it, Andy... no way can you be more than
>> 8 years old... do you always just spew before engaging your brain or
>> are you brain damaged.
>>
>> Andy, you're a troll, you're as ignorant as the rest of the spate of
>> recently arrived newbie trolls... know-nothings who will never know
>> anything.
>>
>> http://www.diversifiedfoods.com/DFI_BordenUHTmilk.htm
>>
>> Sheldon

butterflyangel,

You don't have to defend me. Sheldon is a volcano that is continually
errupting megalomaniac personal opinion.

We're all sadly familiar.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i would stand up for anybody that i thought was being untreated fairly,
there is no need for anybody to disrespect another person for no good
reason , and thats what he was doing
tessa
Andy wrote:
> "butterflyangel" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > geeez Sheldon thats not necessary , theres no need to be a nasty prat i
> > didnt see anything wrong with what andy wrote ,... i think its you with
> > the problem
> > tessa
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> Nope, regular whole milk in a box.
> >>
> >> Andy, you'd be very dangerous in the food industry, you know

> absolutely
> >> Zero about food/cooking.... nothing but disgusting germ laden spittle
> >> comes out of your rectum, shut it, Andy... no way can you be more than
> >> 8 years old... do you always just spew before engaging your brain or
> >> are you brain damaged.
> >>
> >> Andy, you're a troll, you're as ignorant as the rest of the spate of
> >> recently arrived newbie trolls... know-nothings who will never know
> >> anything.
> >>
> >> http://www.diversifiedfoods.com/DFI_BordenUHTmilk.htm
> >>
> >> Sheldon

> butterflyangel,
>
> You don't have to defend me. Sheldon is a volcano that is continually
> errupting megalomaniac personal opinion.
>
> We're all sadly familiar.
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"butterflyangel" > wrote in
oups.com:

> i would stand up for anybody that i thought was being untreated fairly,
> there is no need for anybody to disrespect another person for no good
> reason , and thats what he was doing
> tessa

tessa,

I understand but you're missing the point. Usenet is (unless moderated)
open to Sheldon and his ilk.

No way to stop it, as kind as you wish it should be, it's a public forum.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote on 04 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

>> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for
>> about 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after
>> almost a year) peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded.
>> I've also had kraft sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if
>> it's the enzymes or lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>>

> I believe it has more to do with moisture content than enzymes. The
> drier the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.

And hard cheeses such as parmesan and pecorino are high in fat and salt, as
well as low in moisture, so that helps as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> I have a hunk of parmesan reggiano in the frige I've been using for about
> 6 months. No mold. Also have a new since purchased (after almost a year)
> peccorino romano block of cheese that hasn't molded. I've also had kraft
> sharp cheddar mold after two weeks. Don't know if it's the enzymes or
> lack of them that keeps cheese healthy.
>
> Andy

It's the higher salt and lower water content of those two cheeses that make
them last better.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> We use several pounds of peccorino romano a month. DH loves that
> cheese. Last night we had it as a snack with a home-made ciabatta and
> wine while watching a DVD. Better than tater chips, cheese chips,
> etc. for us. (Yes, I limit my wine -- darn it!)

Wonderful, a typical center-italian snack. Hope the wine was red, and good

--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> We use several pounds of peccorino romano a month. DH loves that
>> cheese. Last night we had it as a snack with a home-made ciabatta and
>> wine while watching a DVD. Better than tater chips, cheese chips,
>> etc. for us. (Yes, I limit my wine -- darn it!)

> Wonderful, a typical center-italian snack. Hope the wine was red, and good
>
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

Yes, probably 90% red at our house --
BTW - does your signature "Think pink, drink rose'" have a certain
significance to you?

I don't drink rose, but I do think pink -- love pink --
You may say, "well that's normal, you're female."
But since I love red wine, red is my favorite color, I'm very confused!
;-)))
Rose' - rose? No.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> "Vilco" > wrote in message
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>>> We use several pounds of peccorino romano a month. DH loves that
>>> cheese. Last night we had it as a snack with a home-made ciabatta
>>> and wine while watching a DVD. Better than tater chips, cheese
>>> chips, etc. for us. (Yes, I limit my wine -- darn it!)

>> Wonderful, a typical center-italian snack. Hope the wine was red, and
>> good
>> --
>> Vilco
>> Think pink, drink rose'

> Yes, probably 90% red at our house --
> BTW - does your signature "Think pink, drink rose'" have a certain
> significance to you?
>
> I don't drink rose, but I do think pink -- love pink --
> You may say, "well that's normal, you're female."
> But since I love red wine, red is my favorite color, I'm very
> confused! ;-)))
> Rose' - rose? No.
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

Drink whatever!

Andy
Lucky to have both grandmothers named "Rose".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Andy
> Lucky to have both grandmothers named "Rose".

I have a grandmother's sister named "Rose."
A coal-miner's wife. Both dead and gone now.

I remember when whole families might name their girls, Rose, Violet, Daisy;
were there any other names like that?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

>> Andy
>> Lucky to have both grandmothers named "Rose".

> I have a grandmother's sister named "Rose."
> A coal-miner's wife. Both dead and gone now.
>
> I remember when whole families might name their girls, Rose, Violet,
> Daisy; were there any other names like that?
>
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

I dunno. My Mom's first name was Florence. Everyone else called her Flo.
I on the other hand only called her Mom.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> I believe it has more to do with moisture content than
> enzymes. The drier the cheese the longer it will stay mold free.

Another possible factor: keep the cheese in its original
plastic packaging. If the original packaging will not re-seal,
open it minimally and put more plastic around it rather than
replacing the plastic entirely. This really does delay mold forming.

Also of course clean handling when using the cheese is important.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all, a couple of sunday morning ponderings for you if I may.
>
> once you have broken the seal on a packet of cheese, it generally goes
> off in a few weeks, whereas butter will last months (maybe a year) in
> the fridge before it's inedible. but they're both made of basically
> the
> same thing. how does this work?
>
> also, milk lasts even less long than either butter or cheese - how
> come?
>
> Andy

Andy,

Actually, I wonder if bottled milk is the same grade as the milk they
use for cheese. After all, bottled milk is homogenized, pasteurized, and
who knows what else-erized. They take the cream off the top of the milk,
long before you get it, plus it probably has some water added.

I somehow doubt they do that with the milk they use for cheese, but I
don't know any facts about it.

Mordechai