Melba's Jammin'

Default Annual Fall Fishing Trip Vittles

I've returned from the Umpteenth Annual Church Women In Exile Fall
Fishing Trip: "We Troll With Credit Cards." We spent two days and
nights at a friend's home on Lake Superior. Weather was pretty chilly
but we didn't care.

We made pizza for Friday supper, using a cornmeal crust that Mavis
bought at the food co-op; a spelt crust from the same place; and some
pitas. Sauce was homemade, toppings included olives, pork sausage,
tomatoes, and a big hit was one I made using Ranch Dip instead of red
sauce, topped with fresh basil and sliced tomatoes and a bit of
mozzarrella.

Lunch yesterday was at the Lake Avenue Café in Canal Park in Duluth. I
hooked up with the BRG and her mom instead of shopping with my friends
and bought them supper at the local DQ. The kid ate my toast, a coupla
french fries, and not much else. Not my problem.

Supper last night was leftover pizza, smoked trout and smoked salmon,
green salad, rum cake for dessert.

We had breakfast this morning at The Vanilla Bean Café in Two Harbors,
MN -- their baked omelets are very good and the bread is homemade.
Could've been worse.

I made our sausage from a pound of ground pork and a tablespoon of
Penzeys Breakfast Sausage Seasoning blend. The ladies loved it.
They'll all get a small jar for Christmas -- and a pound of ground pork
if the pig guy is still at the farmers market next week.

I picked up a smoked whitefish and a hunk of smoked salmon at the fish
place in Two Harbors. Rob and I demolished the whitefish within 20
minutes of my arrival at home. Gotta find some cream cheese to go with
the salmon. It's good to be me.
--
-Barb,
I've got a bunch of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks
SCUBApix

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I've returned from the Umpteenth Annual Church Women In Exile Fall
> Fishing Trip: "We Troll With Credit Cards." We spent two days and
> nights at a friend's home on Lake Superior. Weather was pretty chilly
> but we didn't care.
>
> We made pizza for Friday supper, using a cornmeal crust that Mavis
> bought at the food co-op; a spelt crust from the same place; and some
> pitas. Sauce was homemade, toppings included olives, pork sausage,
> tomatoes, and a big hit was one I made using Ranch Dip instead of red
> sauce, topped with fresh basil and sliced tomatoes and a bit of
> mozzarrella.

Sounds like a great time. One comment on your pizza. Several years ago a
friend told us about a pizza they make. Drop the ranch dressing and take
your fresh basil and make pesto with it. Use that for the base and top with
fresh sliced tomatoes and mozzarrella. Delicious! We've been having that
every few weeks since the tomatoes have been coming in strong this year.