wescaddle

Default Help! Cooking for one

Hi all,

I am new to this group, so first off, hello to everyone.

I am a young, single guy, who has always been into eating well, or try
to anyway...

The problem, is that I have gotten really bored with my meals...chiken
and broccoli one night, salmon and spinach the next, veggie dogs
another....there really is no variety!

I have very limited cooking skills, I would ove to just make a nice
stir-fry or something, but I'm lost!

My question is, can anyone reccomend a book or any resorces for
cooking healthy meals for one person?

Thanks!

Wes
jmcquown

wescaddle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this group, so first off, hello to everyone.
>
> I am a young, single guy, who has always been into eating well, or try
> to anyway...
>
> The problem, is that I have gotten really bored with my meals...chiken
> and broccoli one night, salmon and spinach the next, veggie dogs
> another....there really is no variety!
>
> I have very limited cooking skills, I would ove to just make a nice
> stir-fry or something, but I'm lost!
>
> My question is, can anyone reccomend a book or any resorces for
> cooking healthy meals for one person?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Wes

Hi Wes. First of all, cooking for one is rather difficult. Look for
cookbooks for TWO. Believe me, you eat more than one of what they say is a
single serving

Second, your freezer is your friend. I cook enough on weekends to last me
as leftovers throughout the week. I simply stick the leftovers in the
freezer in individual portions, then take them to lunch or have them as
dinner.

Stir fry is good for one. You can take that chicken and some snow peas and
bamboo shoots and serve it over rice and have a nice single meal. Or the
fish with spinach and rice; or sliced beef with broccoli and water
chestnuts.

Good luck!

Jill

AM Pittman

Hello-

Cooking for one or even 2 can be really hard..
My suggestion is cook big meals and freeze. When I was at University I
would meet with my girl friend about once a month for a cook around.
Everyone would cook a completely different dish then we would package
and split it amongst the six of us. the result was six freezer stuffed
with a variety of yummy munchies. Just a thought worked well for us.
Aside from stir fry. Think about things like quiche and pasta.

Hope that helps-

Amy

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:17:38 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>wescaddle wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am new to this group, so first off, hello to everyone.
>>
>> I am a young, single guy, who has always been into eating well, or try
>> to anyway...
>>
>> The problem, is that I have gotten really bored with my meals...chiken
>> and broccoli one night, salmon and spinach the next, veggie dogs
>> another....there really is no variety!
>>
>> I have very limited cooking skills, I would ove to just make a nice
>> stir-fry or something, but I'm lost!
>>
>> My question is, can anyone reccomend a book or any resorces for
>> cooking healthy meals for one person?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Wes

>Hi Wes. First of all, cooking for one is rather difficult. Look for
>cookbooks for TWO. Believe me, you eat more than one of what they say is a
>single serving
>
>Second, your freezer is your friend. I cook enough on weekends to last me
>as leftovers throughout the week. I simply stick the leftovers in the
>freezer in individual portions, then take them to lunch or have them as
>dinner.
>
>Stir fry is good for one. You can take that chicken and some snow peas and
>bamboo shoots and serve it over rice and have a nice single meal. Or the
>fish with spinach and rice; or sliced beef with broccoli and water
>chestnuts.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Jill

Crazy Cat Gifts - Unique and Beautiful
Sterling Silver Jewelry and Gifts
www.crazycatgifts.com
Vox Humana

"wescaddle" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this group, so first off, hello to everyone.
>
> I am a young, single guy, who has always been into eating well, or try
> to anyway...
>
> The problem, is that I have gotten really bored with my meals...chiken
> and broccoli one night, salmon and spinach the next, veggie dogs
> another....there really is no variety!
>
> I have very limited cooking skills, I would ove to just make a nice
> stir-fry or something, but I'm lost!
>
> My question is, can anyone reccomend a book or any resorces for
> cooking healthy meals for one person?

You might take a look at Martha Stewart's newest publication called
"Everyday Food." It is a small format magazine that is published monthly
and most likely will be at the check-out lane of the supermarket with the
tabloids and diet magazines. You can get a look at it here an see some
sample recipes. It may be exactly what you need:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...=channel184343

They tend to be simple and have a minimum number of easy to find
ingredients.

Katra

jammer wrote:

> On 28 Sep 2003 16:08:00 -0700, (wescaddle) wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I am new to this group, so first off, hello to everyone.
> >
> >I am a young, single guy, who has always been into eating well, or try
> >to anyway...
> >
> >The problem, is that I have gotten really bored with my meals...chiken
> >and broccoli one night, salmon and spinach the next, veggie dogs
> >another....there really is no variety!
> >
> >I have very limited cooking skills, I would ove to just make a nice
> >stir-fry or something, but I'm lost!
> >
> >My question is, can anyone reccomend a book or any resorces for
> >cooking healthy meals for one person?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Wes

> On 9-3-2003 there was a thread about this. Go to google and check it
> out.

We have switched over to the whole "healthy eating" thing too over the
past 10 years or so. :-)

What has made the biggest difference is learning to use herbs, spices
and flavorings. Stock up your spice cabinet. The ones I personally use
the most of are salt free lemon pepper, mixed pepper, garlic powder,
onion powder, dried dill and dried parsley leaf. For "wet" flavorings, I
use quite a bit of fresh ginger grated into the pan with a fine cheese
grater. Fresh garlic is good this way too.

We cook stir fry's on a regular basis simply because there is so much
you can do with them using a huge variety of meats and veggies. Chopped
pork, chicken, beef or shrimp, or even fake crab and vary the veggies.
The ones I use most commonly fluctuate around squash, baby spinach,
broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, mushrooms, sliced cabbage, bamboo
shoots, Asparagus, Bok Choy, water chestnuts, and anything else in the
produce section that looks good when I am shopping. <G>

Then there are the mornings that I do low fat/sodium sausage and eggs
with steamed or raw stuff on the side. I love to sauté some veggies in
the pan after I have cooked sausage, or fry up some boneless/skinless
chicken. Our favorite to serve on the side is raw fresh tomatoes and
avocado on some baby spinach leaves.

Once you get the idea, it's not bad at ALL and actually makes for a more
interesting diet. But, if you eat a lot of fresh veggies like we do, it
may take some meal planning for shopping purposes so you don't end up
wasting stuff as it spoils. Makes my chickens happy, but that's
expensive chicken feed. <G>

Try a google search:
http://www.google.com for recipes. Chicken is
probably one of the most versatile meats, at least to me, but your
mileage may very.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
wescaddle

Thank you all for your suggestions!
occupant

> On 28 Sep 2003 16:08:00 -0700, (wescaddle) wrote:
>Hi all,
>I am new to this group, so first off, hello to everyone.
>I am a young, single guy, who has always been into eating well, or try
>to anyway...
>The problem, is that I have gotten really bored with my meals...chiken
>and broccoli one night, salmon and spinach the next, veggie dogs
>another....there really is no variety!
>I have very limited cooking skills, I would ove to just make a nice
>stir-fry or something, but I'm lost!
>My question is, can anyone reccomend a book or any resorces for
>cooking healthy meals for one person?

A good way to try to expand your diet and cooking skills is to search on
google for pizza, pierogies,
Chinese dishes by name taken from free flyer menues from your local
restaurant, and then things you think of or crave can be a start. You
will pull up lots of recipes. If it has too many ingredients, just skip
it or omit them. Most recipes are for four so I usually rough or
carefully, depending on the circumstances, divide by four and you have
got a single serving. Regardless of how much experience you have or
don't have cooking, there are always lots of people in this news groups
that have excellent suggestions on how to help you when you are stuck or
what to do is something isn't turning out right.

I have an excellent recipe given to me by a Chinese women's mother I
work with for Tomato Beef (on rice) and Ginger Beef Hot Pot. I just
make those recipes for one. If you are interested let me know. I also
make a basic ginger, garlic, green onion, and black bean sauce stir
fry. Chinese fried rice is an excellent, very flavourful cheap recipe
to make, too.