Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rec.food.cooking FAQ and conversion file

Victor Sack wrote:

> BALSAMIC VINEGAR - Made in Italy from white Trebbiano grape
> juice that is aged in barrels until it is dark in colour and
> pungently sweet.
> Frequently used in salad dressings or marinades.

There should be a distinction here, between "tradizionale balsamic vinegar"
and "balsamic vinegar".
The first is aged at least 12 years in the "acetaia" only to reach the
minimum eligible quality to obtain "tradizionale" status. The second is aged
just the time it takes to bring it from the "acetaia" to the stores, and it
is totally diferent in content and, most of all, in concentration, not to
mention price: "balsamic vinegar" sells for 4 to 8 euros per a 0.5 quarts
flask and is available in any store, while the "tradizionale balsamic
vinegar" of the lowest quality sells for about 30 euros per a 0,1 quarts
flask and can easily range in the 100's when it's upper quality.
Production of Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Reggio Emilia is around 30 /
40.000 bottles per year, Modena should have about the same production
figures.
The description reported here in this FAQ corresponds to "tradizionale
balsamic vinegar" but forgets the overwhelming presence of basic "balsamic
vinegar", produced in more than 3 million bottles a year. That difference
should be covered a little better, methinks.
BTW - in modena they call aceto balsamico" the cheap thing, in Reggio Emilia
no: the cheap thing is called "condimento balsamico", to save the word
"aceto balsamico" for the real deal. Here's why vinegar from Modena became
more famous than Reggio: sheer quantity, spread all over the world, helped
by the people ignoring the word "tradizionale" and it's particular mweaning
regarding balsamic vinegar.

Time to review this part? I can provide a brief article on balsamic vinegar
and tradizionale balsamic vinegar, both from Reggio Emilia and from Modena.
How has the process worked for FAQ update, in the past?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> BALSAMIC VINEGAR - Made in Italy from white Trebbiano grape
>> juice that is aged in barrels until it is dark in colour and
>> pungently sweet.
>> Frequently used in salad dressings or marinades.

> There should be a distinction here, between "tradizionale balsamic
> vinegar" and "balsamic vinegar".
> The first is aged at least 12 years in the "acetaia" only to reach the
> minimum eligible quality to obtain "tradizionale" status. The second is
> aged just the time it takes to bring it from the "acetaia" to the stores,
> and it is totally diferent in content and, most of all, in concentration,
> not to mention price: "balsamic vinegar" sells for 4 to 8 euros per a 0.5
> quarts flask and is available in any store, while the "tradizionale
> balsamic vinegar" of the lowest quality sells for about 30 euros per a 0,1
> quarts flask and can easily range in the 100's when it's upper quality.
> Production of Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Reggio Emilia is around 30 /
> 40.000 bottles per year, Modena should have about the same production
> figures.
> The description reported here in this FAQ corresponds to "tradizionale
> balsamic vinegar" but forgets the overwhelming presence of basic "balsamic
> vinegar", produced in more than 3 million bottles a year. That difference
> should be covered a little better, methinks.
> BTW - in modena they call aceto balsamico" the cheap thing, in Reggio
> Emilia no: the cheap thing is called "condimento balsamico", to save the
> word "aceto balsamico" for the real deal. Here's why vinegar from Modena
> became more famous than Reggio: sheer quantity, spread all over the world,
> helped by the people ignoring the word "tradizionale" and it's particular
> mweaning regarding balsamic vinegar.
>
> Time to review this part? I can provide a brief article on balsamic
> vinegar and tradizionale balsamic vinegar, both from Reggio Emilia and
> from Modena.
> How has the process worked for FAQ update, in the past?
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

I don't want to take issue on your knowledge, Vilco, and others may take
issue with me for saying this; but I think perhaps if you do write a brief
article, the sentences should be written with more exactness, more concise
and connected. I am interested in what you wrote, but it is a little
difficult to separate - speaking only for myself, a user of balsamic
vinegar.

DeeDee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

>> Time to review this part? I can provide a brief article on balsamic
>> vinegar and tradizionale balsamic vinegar, both from Reggio Emilia
>> and from Modena.
>> How has the process worked for FAQ update, in the past?

> I don't want to take issue on your knowledge, Vilco, and others may
> take issue with me for saying this; but I think perhaps if you do
> write a brief article, the sentences should be written with more
> exactness, more concise and connected. I am interested in what you
> wrote, but it is a little difficult to separate - speaking only for
> myself, a user of balsamic vinegar.

You're right, in that post I just put down things as they came to mind.
I'm gonna write another post with the straigth facts as plain as I can.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>>> Time to review this part? I can provide a brief article on balsamic
>>> vinegar and tradizionale balsamic vinegar, both from Reggio Emilia
>>> and from Modena.
>>> How has the process worked for FAQ update, in the past?

>> I don't want to take issue on your knowledge, Vilco, and others may
>> take issue with me for saying this; but I think perhaps if you do
>> write a brief article, the sentences should be written with more
>> exactness, more concise and connected. I am interested in what you
>> wrote, but it is a little difficult to separate - speaking only for
>> myself, a user of balsamic vinegar.

> You're right, in that post I just put down things as they came to mind.
> I'm gonna write another post with the straigth facts as plain as I can.
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

Hey,Vilco. You're pretty nice!