Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Barramundi- New to the Philly area supermarkets

Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one pound
of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

Thanks,

Alec

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote in news:Q0qag.66942$Fs1.55609
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one

pound
> of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

Where's it from?

If it's Asian, it's probably Basa........ bred in what acts as the
sewers between rice paddies. If it's Aussie, it's the real deal.

http://www.sealanes.com.au/seafoodma...m?display_id=3

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one pound
> of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

I have no idea what Barramundi is, but I am a Philadelphia, born and
raised. Actually, I live in a suburban community now, but I work in
Philly. If you have any questions about Philly, feel free to email me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one
>> pound of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

> I have no idea what Barramundi is, but I am a Philadelphia, born and
> raised. Actually, I live in a suburban community now, but I work in
> Philly. If you have any questions about Philly, feel free to email me.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/barramundi.html

On the table

Barramundi has gained a reputation as one of Australia's finest eating
fish, usually with a price to match! In fact such is the reputation
that there has been the occasional scandal due to substitution of other,
cheaper, fish in the restaurant trade. Objectively it is probably true
that the reputation exceeds the reality, but there is no denying that
Barramundi are excellent table fish and specimens captured from
estuarine waters are delicious, with firm, white, fine-grained meat.
However, fish that have spent some time, even years in turbid, muddy
water in some back water can be an entirely different story and their
flesh can range from very tasty to inedible.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

>In article >,
> "Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one pound
>>of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.
>>

>I have no idea what Barramundi is, but I am a Philadelphia, born and
>raised. Actually, I live in a suburban community now, but I work in
>Philly. If you have any questions about Philly, feel free to email me.

Oh dear, that reminds me of a tall tale but true.

About twenty years ago the Albert Park Hotel was bought by an American
financed consortium and thoroughly done up.I mean, they spent millions.
Part of the deal involved importing American floor staff to show the
locals how to do things American style. I remember they had this
absolutely gorgeous black guy who seemed to be guarding the door
(totally unnecessary in boringly respectable Albert Park). They didn't
do the usual thing of balancing three plates on one arm and two on the
other - food emerged from the kitchen on round trays carried at shoulder
height and then put down on little foldable table thingies before being
served. Fascinating spectacle!

Anyway, one evening we overheard a customer at the next table ask the
(American) waitress where the Barramundi was from - meaning Queensland
or the NT. She replied "Is it a variety or a producer?" True dinks!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote:
>Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one pound
>of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

Cook it any way you use for premium fish.

I prefer to simply coat it in a *light* batter and fry, being sure not
to overcook. Plain pan grilling is also okay if worried about fat.

I often top it with a "sauce" of finely chopped shallots lightly
fried in butter and then blended into an emulsion of the surplus
butter and fresh lemon juice.

Serve with crisp spud chips and/or salad.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, on 16 May 2006
22:05:48 GMT, LucasP wrote:

> "Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote in news:Q0qag.66942$Fs1.55609
> @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
> > Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one

> pound
> > of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.
> >

> Where's it from?
>
> If it's Asian, it's probably Basa........ bred in what acts as the
> sewers between rice paddies. If it's Aussie, it's the real deal.
>
> http://www.sealanes.com.au/seafoodma...m?display_id=3

It's probably Australian barramundi, which is now being farmed in the
USA from Australian stock:

http://www.australis.us/barramundi.htm

This same site also has several recipes for preparation of barramundi.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Seth Goodman > wrote in
.net:

> In article >, on 16 May 2006
> 22:05:48 GMT, LucasP wrote:
>
>> "Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote in news:Q0qag.66942

$Fs1.55609
>> @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one

>> pound
>> > of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.
>> >

>> Where's it from?
>>
>> If it's Asian, it's probably Basa........ bred in what acts as the
>> sewers between rice paddies. If it's Aussie, it's the real deal.
>>
>> http://www.sealanes.com.au/seafoodma...m?display_id=3

> It's probably Australian barramundi, which is now being farmed in the
> USA from Australian stock:
>
> http://www.australis.us/barramundi.htm

LOL!! Good to see you Yanks finally copying something off of us!!

Now all we have to do is get you to like Vegemite :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one pound
> of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

It makes _fantastic_ curry.

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Miche > wrote:
>In article >,
> "Alec D. Plotkin" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any easy recipes for Barramundi? I have about one pound
>> of filets. Our supermarkets are featuring this fish.

>It makes _fantastic_ curry.

While that may well be true, I would much prefer to eat barra as fish
and use a lesser species for an ingredient.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID