Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Indian hash browns

I had left over boiled potatoes and a new cookbook with quick Indian
recipes. I rad a recipe and then altered it almost beyond recognition, but
the basic flavors I kept.

So...
1. I sauteed an onion in oil
2. then added some cumin to sort of toast it
before..
3. adding the chopped, cooked potatoes (about 250 grams, I suspect)
4. after they had warmed through I added a paste of:
5. equal amounts of tamarind paste and brown sugar plus some water (they
added up to 5-6tablespoons)
6. let that cook down until t got sticky, while stirring
7. then I seasoned it with salt and chili powder

I considered adding an egg, but wasn't hungry enough for that.

It was very good. It was the first time I used tamarind. I expected to like
it, because I like tangy. I wasn't disappointed - at all. I am grateful for
having the rest of that jar to enjoy later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Dee Randall" > schreef in bericht

> "Jke" > wrote in message
>>I had left over boiled potatoes and a new cookbook with quick Indian
>>recipes. I rad a recipe and then altered it almost beyond recognition, but
>>the basic flavors I kept.
>>
>> So...
>> 1. I sauteed an onion in oil
>> 2. then added some cumin to sort of toast it
>> before..
>> 3. adding the chopped, cooked potatoes (about 250 grams, I suspect)
>> 4. after they had warmed through I added a paste of:
>> 5. equal amounts of tamarind paste and brown sugar plus some water (they
>> added up to 5-6tablespoons)
>> 6. let that cook down until t got sticky, while stirring
>> 7. then I seasoned it with salt and chili powder
>>
>> I considered adding an egg, but wasn't hungry enough for that.
>>
>> It was very good. It was the first time I used tamarind. I expected to
>> like it, because I like tangy. I wasn't disappointed - at all. I am
>> grateful for having the rest of that jar to enjoy later.
>>

> Tell me/us more about that jar of tamarind paste. Can you provide a link
> to show the brand or jar?

I've seen at least 3 or 4 brands around in ethnic stores, this jar says
"Flower Brand". It's been packaged in The Hague, The Netherlands.

Tamarind (paste) is also sold as assem here (sometimes spelled assam), which
I believe is the Indonesian name for it. Indonesia used to be a Dutch
colony, so Indonesian products are relatively easily availbale here. Indian
stores also carry it.

> I usually buy a block of tamarind with the seeds in it, that has to be
> soaked in water, then strained; a PITA.

I bet. I wouldn't be as tempted to use it myself.

I never know how much strength of
> tamarind I actually have using it this way.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > schreef in bericht
>>
>> "Jke" > wrote in message
>>>I had left over boiled potatoes and a new cookbook with quick Indian
>>>recipes. I rad a recipe and then altered it almost beyond recognition,
>>>but the basic flavors I kept.
>>>
>>> So...
>>> 1. I sauteed an onion in oil
>>> 2. then added some cumin to sort of toast it
>>> before..
>>> 3. adding the chopped, cooked potatoes (about 250 grams, I suspect)
>>> 4. after they had warmed through I added a paste of:
>>> 5. equal amounts of tamarind paste and brown sugar plus some water (they
>>> added up to 5-6tablespoons)
>>> 6. let that cook down until t got sticky, while stirring
>>> 7. then I seasoned it with salt and chili powder
>>>
>>> I considered adding an egg, but wasn't hungry enough for that.
>>>
>>> It was very good. It was the first time I used tamarind. I expected to
>>> like it, because I like tangy. I wasn't disappointed - at all. I am
>>> grateful for having the rest of that jar to enjoy later.
>>>

>> Tell me/us more about that jar of tamarind paste. Can you provide a link
>> to show the brand or jar?

> I've seen at least 3 or 4 brands around in ethnic stores, this jar says
> "Flower Brand". It's been packaged in The Hague, The Netherlands.
>
> Tamarind (paste) is also sold as assem here (sometimes spelled assam),
> which I believe is the Indonesian name for it. Indonesia used to be a
> Dutch colony, so Indonesian products are relatively easily availbale here.
> Indian stores also carry it.

I found a link. http://www.thecmccompany.com/thai.htm#Item%20#1207
Hopefully, it's in the U.S. I see a few other things I can order that I
need.
Thanks, I didn't know about the 'paste'. I'll look for it as well in the
markets, now that I know.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I found a link. http://www.thecmccompany.com/thai.htm#Item%20#1207
> Hopefully, it's in the U.S. I see a few other things I can order that I
> need.
> Thanks, I didn't know about the 'paste'. I'll look for it as well in the
> markets, now that I know.

I was jsut thinking, there are 2 things that you could use as a substitute:
pomegranate molasses (yum) and apple butter. Neither is quite the same, but
I think both are pretty darn close. So if finding tamarind paste remains a
problem, you could experiment with those. Assuming they are available where
you are

If worst come to worst, there's always vinegar and brown sugar. And ketchup
could be added to that, too.
Definitely not the same as tamarind, but still sweet and sour.

> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> Tell me/us more about that jar of tamarind paste. Can you provide a link to
> show the brand or jar?
> I usually buy a block of tamarind with the seeds in it, that has to be
> soaked in water, then strained; a PITA. I never know how much strength of
> tamarind I actually have using it this way.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

I discovered tamarind paste earlier this year in a Vietnamese market. It
comes in a white plastic jar with a blue screw top and a blue label that
simply says "PURE FRESH TAMARIND (concentrated)". It is from Thailand
and the exporter is listed as "Combine Thai Foods Co, LTD" and actually
has a yahoo email address listed "

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>

>> Tell me/us more about that jar of tamarind paste. Can you provide a link
>> to show the brand or jar?
>> I usually buy a block of tamarind with the seeds in it, that has to be
>> soaked in water, then strained; a PITA. I never know how much strength of
>> tamarind I actually have using it this way.
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> I discovered tamarind paste earlier this year in a Vietnamese market. It
> comes in a white plastic jar with a blue screw top and a blue label that
> simply says "PURE FRESH TAMARIND (concentrated)". It is from Thailand and
> the exporter is listed as "Combine Thai Foods Co, LTD" and actually has a
> yahoo email address listed "

Thanks, George. I sent off an email to them to see if they furnish this
product near to me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Oz, I've used a tamarind concentrate paste branded TAMICON, product
of India. Its says 1 teaspoon for a dish sized for 6 persons
(subjective hey). I usually soften it in a 1/4c hot water and add that
to the recipe.
I see it's like Tabasco sauce - the jar is dated 1998! Just about
finished now, think I'll chuck it out and splurge on a new jar LOL

Cheers
-- Bronnie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The best tamarind concentrates are from Puerto Rico and sold in almost
all Indian Stores in United States. The price is about $3.00 for about
2 Cup size.
Those blocks are really cumbersome to use.
JKe! I dont know what you made, sounds South Indian.

Two suggestions: Throw in a few golden raisins (about half a
Tablespoon) along with Tamarind and brown sugar, Use Sea salt.
Indian Stores have a rock salt called 'Kala Namak', that migh go
better.

Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Yogi Gupta" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...
> The best tamarind concentrates are from Puerto Rico and sold in almost
> all Indian Stores in United States. The price is about $3.00 for about
> 2 Cup size.
> Those blocks are really cumbersome to use.
> JKe! I dont know what you made, sounds South Indian.

I don't know what I made, either. It's a variation on that recipe fromo the
book. The book calls it Aloo Chaat. It doesn't use any onions, the other
ingredients I did take from the recipe. The book doesn't talk about regions
and such.
It's called Stylish Indian in Minutes, BTW. By Monisha Bhardawaj.

> Two suggestions: Throw in a few golden raisins (about half a
> Tablespoon) along with Tamarind and brown sugar,

That sounds delicious. Will definitely give that a try because I will
defintiely have this dish again. It was so good.

Use Sea salt.
> Indian Stores have a rock salt called 'Kala Namak', that migh go
> better.

I'll look out for that.

> Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Tamarinds and vegemite [Was: Indian hash browns]

In article . com>, "Bronwyn" > wrote:
>In Oz, I've used a tamarind concentrate paste branded TAMICON, product
>of India. Its says 1 teaspoon for a dish sized for 6 persons
>(subjective hey). I usually soften it in a 1/4c hot water and add that
>to the recipe.

My tamarind tree has been a great disappointment. It's only had about
half a dozen beans in the three years since it first flowered. :-(

When I was a kid on the wet tropical coast near here, there were two
trees beside the "road" in front of our house. They were prolific.
We ate tamarinds for months each year. (Never cooked with them
though, we were all a bit young to be allowed near the stove. :-)

The local "second" supermarket carries some tamarind paste products.
I've been meaning to give them a go. It was an essential ingredient
in southern India cookery when I was there 20 years ago.

>I see it's like Tabasco sauce - the jar is dated 1998! Just about
>finished now, think I'll chuck it out and splurge on a new jar LOL

A fridge I know has a jar of vegemite "Use by 23 Sep 1983". It was
virginal until a desperate cleaner needed something to put on his
crackers one evening about two years ago. I used a bit myself early
this year, and it tasted quite normal (i.e gooey black salt . It's
so old the jar is *glass* and the lid is *metal*. It's a wonder it
hasn't been listed by the Heritage Council.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I suspected it was Aloo Chaat at best. You are right, its basically
Russet type boiled poatoes served with Tamarind Chutney and splash of
yogurt. The basic flavor is drived from Tamarind Chutney. Tamarind
Chutney has Dates and raisins. The two spices which really add flavor
are 1. Dry roasted and crushed cumin seeds, and 2. Kala Namak.
If you have a chance, browse through my website and under Snacks, you
will see a list of different Chaat.
Yogi
www.IndiaCurry.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> That sounds really good. I love a tamarind flavor. I use it to taste, my
> taste of course. I saved the recipe.

I can't tell you how excited I am about finally tasting tamarind and
realizig just how much happiness that jar of paste is going to provide.

I hope you'll enjoy your potatoes as much as I did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Yogi Gupta" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...
>I suspected it was Aloo Chaat at best. You are right, its basically
> Russet type boiled poatoes served with Tamarind Chutney and splash of
> yogurt. The basic flavor is drived from Tamarind Chutney. Tamarind
> Chutney has Dates and raisins. The two spices which really add flavor

I didn't use chutney, but if I ever come across tamarind chutney, I'll buy
it,. I'm sure I'll love it.

> are 1. Dry roasted and crushed cumin seeds, and 2. Kala Namak.
> If you have a chance, browse through my website and under Snacks, you
> will see a list of different Chaat.

I did and I really enjoyed your site. Lots of things there to try! And I
like it that the ingredients list aren't as daunting as in some of the
cookbooks I've come across. Although I am finally, after years, discovering
places where I can actually *buy* the ingreidients requerid. idian cooking
has yet to take off in Holland, other minorites are more prominent here. But
I've seen things liek betelnuts and asafoetida in stores, which seems to be
a new development.

HASH BROWNS werwiniskp General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 12:41 PM
Hash Browns Steve Walker General Cooking 16 11-07-2006 08:16 AM
Zucchini Hash Browns Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-06-2005 05:07 PM
What are *real* hash browns? Phred General Cooking 25 29-09-2004 09:06 PM