Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make decadent fudge?

Steve Wertz wrote:
> The fudge you buy at the specialty candy stores is always so much
> more sweet and rich than anything I've been able to duplicate at
> home. What's the secret(s)?
>
> I've tried heavy cream, light cream, evaporated milk, butter, etc,
> but have never been able to make a really good, commercial quality
> fudge.

Old Fashioned Fudge
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine sugar, milk,
chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
(mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
(110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> This particular method sometimes comes out grainy.

Then you are not doing it right