Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making Jalapeno Brittle

Cook this to hard crack not soft crack like the recipe says.
Jalapeno Peanut Brittle
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Peanut Brittle
Serves/Makes: 1 lb | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: < 30
minutes

Ingredients:
1/3 cup fresh jalapeno peppers, cleaned, finely chopped
(no seeds and no white part)
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup raw peanuts
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 drops green food coloring
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
Grease a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Set aside. In a skillet melt 1
tablespoon of the butter; add jalapenos and peanuts, and cook over low
heat until peppers are soft. In a saucepan, combine sugar and syrup and
bring to a boil over medium heat. Add jalapenos and peanuts. Stir well,
and cook until mixture reaches the soft crack stage on a candy
thermometer. Remove from heat. Blend in remaining 1 tablespoon butter,
vanilla extract, almond extract and food coloring until well mixed.
Sprinkle baking soda evenly over the cooked mixture and stir well. When
foamy, pour immediately onto the prepared jellyroll pan. Spread out
into a thin layer. Let cool on jellyroll pan until until brittle and
cool enough to handle. Break into irregular pieces. Store in an
airtight container.

Recipe Location:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...tle49224.shtml
Recipe ID: 4207

This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Mar 2006 08:01:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve Wertz?

> On 22 Mar 2006 18:42:37 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:
>
>>Cook this to hard crack not soft crack like the recipe says.
>>Jalapeno Peanut Brittle
>>CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

> I tried this recipe already. You can only get it up to a soft
> crack (about 275-280F), as this is when the jalapeno starts to
> burn.

What about using freeze-dried jalapeno and adding it when you add the butter?

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Mar 2006 09:54:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
Wertz?

> On 23 Mar 2006 04:44:52 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What about using freeze-dried jalapeno and adding it when you add the
>>butter?

> That's basically what I'm doing - just after I add the butter. The
> japs need to be minced fairly fine to get the flavor distributed
> evenly. Dehydrated don't quite have the same flavor, though.
> It's all heat, no noticeable jap flavor like I had while using the
> fresh (but could only get soft crack stage).
>
> -sw

Have you tried freeze-dried as opposed to merely dehydrated? There is a
difference, although it may still not have the flavor you want.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o

BIOYA