Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do YOU eat at your dining room table every day?

"Gabby" > wrote in message

>>> Have to admit that immediately after admiring the table, my next
>>> thought was "wow, those prints are way too high!"
>>>
>>> Gabby

> While I wouldn't expect them to be at MY eye level (I'm only 4'10" after
> all), Kareem's eye level isn't good for anyone else either.
>
> Gabby

Since it's a room that's used mostly sitting down the art work should be
hung a lot lower for the most impact. Standing eye level height is fine for
galleries where the art work is admired from a standing position.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> There's some religious group (JW or LDS or something) that requires a
> "Family night". I think it's probably not a bad idea when kids are
> little but as they age, it's likely to not go over as well. (Sounds to
> me like a really good way to make your kids see you as dictators...)
>
> -L.

<grin> Heck, I think it's a better idea when the kids age. :-) "Do you
know where your children are?" Remember that ad? These folks were
mainline Lutherans, FWIW. Nothing organized about it other than Mom's
decree. There are some organized movements around here to not have any
sports activities happening on Wednesday afternoons or evenings --
Wednesday seems to be "religious education" day around here and sports
practices were interfering.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> kilikini wrote:
>

> > We don't have a dining room; just a kitchen that connects to the living
> > room. So, my answer would be no. (Shoots, we don't even have a table!)

> <eg> not even a tiny one for your beer?

He, he, funny you should ask! Our neighbor put a tiny end table out at the
end of his driveway on Sunday, freebie, and I took it! I'm so stoked! A
table for my beer! :~D

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ToToddler/family eating habits (was Do YOU eat at your dining room table)

cathyxyz wrote:
> No, we don't make special meals for her. She gets what we are
> having... so no "secret weapons" I am afraid... She has her likes and
> dislikes, but not too many dislikes for us to worry about it. But she
> also goes off her food if she is ill. Sorry your little one is still
> not too well....

Thanks. He is much better. I have found that even when he is sick he
will almost always eat yogurt. I have trouble keeping weight on him
- I hope he has his Birthmom's "thin" genes instead of our "no so thin"
ones.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> Nathalie Chiva wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:08:52 -0700, Arri London >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes we eat all of our meals at home in the dining room at the
>>> dining room table. Trying to eat off the coffee table in the living
>>> room is a distinct pain.

>> I was wondering why nobody had mentioned that. The few times I have
>> eaten sitting down in a sofa at a low coffee table (not at home, at
>> other people's place), I have found it sooooo uncomfortable. Plus,
>> bad for the digestion to be bent in two like that.
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland

> Perhaps other people find that a normal position in which to eat LOL.
> Having the meals placed on trays is just as dire.

When I was a child my mom had a set of "TV trays" but it was a rare treat to
be able to eat on the trays in front of the television. But then again, it
was a rare treat to be given anything considered a "TV dinner" (those
things, pre-microwave days, in foil trays with separated compartments).
Don't ask me why we got excited the one or two times a year we got to eat
those. They were probably awful but I don't remember. I only remember we
didn't have to sit at the dining room table and it usually meant our parents
were going out.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Feb 2006 09:47:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Arri London wrote:
>> Nathalie Chiva wrote:

>>> I was wondering why nobody had mentioned that. The few times I have
>>> eaten sitting down in a sofa at a low coffee table (not at home, at
>>> other people's place), I have found it sooooo uncomfortable. Plus,
>>> bad for the digestion to be bent in two like that.
>>>
>>> Nathalie in Switzerland

>> Perhaps other people find that a normal position in which to eat LOL.
>> Having the meals placed on trays is just as dire.

> When I was a child my mom had a set of "TV trays" but it was a rare
> treat to be able to eat on the trays in front of the television. But
> then again, it was a rare treat to be given anything considered a "TV
> dinner" (those things, pre-microwave days, in foil trays with separated
> compartments). Don't ask me why we got excited the one or two times a
> year we got to eat those. They were probably awful but I don't
> remember. I only remember we didn't have to sit at the dining room
> table and it usually meant our parents were going out.

Most of them I didn't like, but I really liked the macaroni and cheese with
a side of green peas and sauteed apples. 79 cents each, I think, but it
really took two to make a meal.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Feb 2006 04:40:47 -0800, "cathyxyz" >
wrote:

>Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
>actually have a dining room table
>
>We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
>Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
>Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

Is there a table in the family room, or do you eat on trays, or...?

serene, who sets the table for every meal, but not necessarily for
snacks. Sometimes, though. Thinking of starting to put out candles,
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:20:54 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Jude wrote:
>
>> We have dinner together as a family - me, my BF, and our 9 year old
>> daughter - most nights. House rule is that dinnertime is in the kitchen
>> (don't have a dining room) at the table. Sometimes we have music on but
>> not too loud - I was raised on the belief that 30 minutes of
>> socializing at the dinner table was an importtant family activity. No
>> gulping down your food in 3 bites and getting up; we all had to be at
>> the table for half an hour, eat slowly with good manners, and have a
>> chance to talk about our days together.

>This is how I was raised also. And NO TV on!!!

Me, too, though my parents sometimes played the radio (Paul Harvey and
old radio shows -- Armed Forces radio, overseas). I *hate* *hate*
*hate* having the TV on while I eat, so I've banished the TV to a room
where we never eat.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:24:34 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
> wrote:

>I must say, I'm amazed to see in this thread how many people eat while
>watching TV or doing stuff at the computer or whatever.

Me, too. I actually had to take a break and calm my judgmental voices.
I will say that I couldn't live with someone who didn't have thirty
minutes a day to sit and have a meal with me.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Feb 2006 11:41:55 -0800, "SD" > wrote:

>We don't even OWN a dining room table!

Our first couple of months here, we didn't, either, and we couldn't
afford one. I was SO frustrated by eating off trays that I found a
table on freecycle. It was a ghastly purple, but it was free. My
wife was sweet and painted it when we were out of town. I was so
happy to have a table, I cried.

(You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2006 04:40:47 -0800, "cathyxyz" >
> wrote:
>
> >Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
> >actually have a dining room table
> >
> >We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
> >Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
> >Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

> Is there a table in the family room, or do you eat on trays, or...?
>
> serene, who sets the table for every meal, but not necessarily for
> snacks. Sometimes, though. Thinking of starting to put out candles,
> too.

We have two desks (back to back) - we clear off any junk that's in the
way and then gather around the desks to eat.... and we have candles too
sometimes - but that's for power cuts, not romantic dinners

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> serene wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2006 04:40:47 -0800, "cathyxyz" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
>> >actually have a dining room table
>> >
>> >We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
>> >Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
>> >Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

>> Is there a table in the family room, or do you eat on trays, or...?
>>
>> serene, who sets the table for every meal, but not necessarily for
>> snacks. Sometimes, though. Thinking of starting to put out candles,
>> too.

> We have two desks (back to back) - we clear off any junk that's in the
> way and then gather around the desks to eat.... and we have candles
> too
> sometimes - but that's for power cuts, not romantic dinners

We eat at our table too. It is a long table which is needed for when
the family is home but we are quite happy to sit at one end of it to eat
and chat at the beginning and end of the day

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:24:34 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
> > wrote:
>
> >I must say, I'm amazed to see in this thread how many people eat while
> >watching TV or doing stuff at the computer or whatever.

> Me, too. I actually had to take a break and calm my judgmental voices.
> I will say that I couldn't live with someone who didn't have thirty
> minutes a day to sit and have a meal with me.

We have a saying in our house that people are more important than
television (or movies or shows or what have you). There is no, quiet
I'm watching this that goes on when someone is trying to talk to you.
If they're just yelling and running around, that's another thing, but
that isn't really allowed anyway. As much as we love to read, we don't
have books at the table while we eat, no toys are allowed there during
meals either.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
serene > wrote:

> Me, too, though my parents sometimes played the radio (Paul Harvey and
> old radio shows -- Armed Forces radio, overseas). I *hate* *hate*
> *hate* having the TV on while I eat, so I've banished the TV to a room
> where we never eat.

My mom has the television on ALL THE TIME. It makes me crazy. It's
just the background noise at her house. It's also on, regardless of the
programming and age of the people around it. I've turned it off when my
kids were there and she had vastly inappropriate stuff on, or taken them
out of the house or room. She doesn't understand why it would bother us
for our kids under seven to see bloody violence, graphic sex, hear
vulgar language, etc.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> serene > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:24:34 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I must say, I'm amazed to see in this thread how many people eat
>> >while
>> >watching TV or doing stuff at the computer or whatever.

>> Me, too. I actually had to take a break and calm my judgmental
>> voices.
>> I will say that I couldn't live with someone who didn't have thirty
>> minutes a day to sit and have a meal with me.

> We have a saying in our house that people are more important than
> television (or movies or shows or what have you). There is no, quiet
> I'm watching this that goes on when someone is trying to talk to you.
> If they're just yelling and running around, that's another thing, but
> that isn't really allowed anyway. As much as we love to read, we
> don't
> have books at the table while we eat, no toys are allowed there during
> meals either.

Wonderful You have very lucky children!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:49:27 -0800, serene wrote:

> (You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )

Nice paint job.... what's sitting on top of it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:33:04 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> serene > wrote:
>
>> Me, too, though my parents sometimes played the radio (Paul Harvey and
>> old radio shows -- Armed Forces radio, overseas). I *hate* *hate*
>> *hate* having the TV on while I eat, so I've banished the TV to a room
>> where we never eat.

> My mom has the television on ALL THE TIME. It makes me crazy.

When I met my partners, they were the same way. I am happy to say
they were happy to change that habit to avoid driving me insane. They
say they like things fine the way they are, and James has said that he
feels like his life has gotten better because we go for walks
(f'rinstance) instead of zoning out in front of the TV.

> It's
>just the background noise at her house. It's also on, regardless of the
>programming and age of the people around it. I've turned it off when my
>kids were there and she had vastly inappropriate stuff on, or taken them
>out of the house or room. She doesn't understand why it would bother us
>for our kids under seven to see bloody violence, graphic sex, hear
>vulgar language, etc.

Yeesh.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:30:38 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> serene > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:24:34 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I must say, I'm amazed to see in this thread how many people eat while
>> >watching TV or doing stuff at the computer or whatever.

>> Me, too. I actually had to take a break and calm my judgmental voices.
>> I will say that I couldn't live with someone who didn't have thirty
>> minutes a day to sit and have a meal with me.

> We have a saying in our house that people are more important than
>television (or movies or shows or what have you). There is no, quiet
>I'm watching this that goes on when someone is trying to talk to you.

Exactly. When I apologize for interrupting James, he always says
something like "I'd rather talk to you than play my game (or work, or
whatever -- of course, I try not to interrupt him too much when he's
working)."

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:13:19 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:49:27 -0800, serene wrote:
>
>> (You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he
>> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )

>Nice paint job.... what's sitting on top of it?

One day, my nibling (my sister's child) was visiting, and got bored,
so zie[*] decided to make a "table" -- I got out the jigsaw and hammer
and nails for zir, and zie went to town (zie's had woodshop in school,
so I wasn't worried too much about the safety of this). Sometimes, we
use the table thingy to set things above the table, but really, it was
just cool that this kid made something out of the cleverness of zir
head.

serene

* I'm using gender-neutral pronouns because I prefer not to disclose
much about the children in my life on the net
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

serene wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2006 11:41:55 -0800, "SD" > wrote:
>
> >We don't even OWN a dining room table!

> Our first couple of months here, we didn't, either, and we couldn't
> afford one.

I haven't owned a dining room table for the past 8 years although we
certainly could afford one. We will occasionally eat at a table on the
patio.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:22:13 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>I will say that I couldn't live with someone who didn't have thirty
>minutes a day to sit and have a meal with me.

I emphatically agree!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Food Snob wrote:
> > Nathalie Chiva wrote:

> >> You eat *standing up*?!? Ugh. Can't be good for your health. I have 2
> >> kids, but even when they were toddlers they ate *at the table* (sure,
> >> in their high chair, but at the table), and if they had to wait a
> >> minute because their father or I were eating too, well they did.
> >> I must say, I'm amazed to see in this thread how many people eat
> >> while watching TV or doing stuff at the computer or whatever. But
> >> then I
> >> have no TV, and I was raised on good food properly served and a
> >> tradition of conversation at dinner, I just can't imagine it any
> >> other way. It doesn't have anything to do with formality, it's
> >> family or couple life. Call me old-fashioned.

> > Regular family dinners are correlated with school success for kids.
> > I often work evenings, but any time I don't we have family dinner. My
> > four year old watches absolutely no TV. He has no interest in it. We
> > wouldn't dream of having a TV on at dinner time. We even turn off
> > Public Radio during dinner!*
> > Oh no. Now I'm going to look like a public broadcasting snob as well!
> >
> > * Unless it's This American Life.
> >>
> >> Nathalie in Switzerland

> I don't even remember much about television prior to 1963. What I *do*
> remember about that year was my mother coming down the stairs to the
> basement (it was a finished basement/family room), crying (her friend Peggy
> had called her) and turning on the television to watch... President Kennedy
> had been shot in Dallas. From that day on, I associated television with bad
> things. I don't watch much television. I still don't watch the news. I
> remember so vividly my mom in tears and I couldn't do anything to comfort
> her. My dad worked at Quantico at the time; there was no escaping it.
>
> I watch some comedy TV shows now but I don't subscribe to cable. And after
> 9/11 when I lost 30 people I knew personally, I don't watch things about
> war. I'm politically blind for a reason. I don't want to know and I don't
> believe my opinions can make a difference.

I was born on the day Kennedy was elected. You are incorrect that you
can't make a difference, and what you don't know CAN hurt you.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene > writes:

>(You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he
>http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )

Did she paint the trim? It looks really nice and it's a good size.
BTW would you mind if I friended you on LJ? I'm not malicious.
Usually.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 04:07:28 +0000 (UTC), (Glitter
Ninja) wrote:

>serene > writes:
>
>>(You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )

> Did she paint the trim? It looks really nice and it's a good size.

She did the whole thing. There are neat diamonds on the edges. Let me
see if I have a pic that shows that.

Nope, but I had her take one. Here it is. It's a bad picture, but it
looks much better in person:
http://serenepages.org/images/objects/table_corner.jpg

> BTW would you mind if I friended you on LJ? I'm not malicious.
>Usually.

Sure, I'd like that. Malicious isn't always a drawback. :-) (What's
your username?)

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 04 Mar 2006 02:49:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> On 26 Feb 2006 11:41:55 -0800, "SD" > wrote:
>
>>We don't even OWN a dining room table!

> Our first couple of months here, we didn't, either, and we couldn't
> afford one. I was SO frustrated by eating off trays that I found a
> table on freecycle. It was a ghastly purple, but it was free. My
> wife was sweet and painted it when we were out of town. I was so
> happy to have a table, I cried.
>
> (You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )
>
> serene

The table looks fine, but what is that thing sitting on top of it? It looks
like a tinkertoy gone mad. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 04 Mar 2006 09:42:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 04:07:28 +0000 (UTC), (Glitter
> Ninja) wrote:
>
>>serene > writes:
>>
>>>(You can see the paint job in some of my pictures he

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...0009twx?page=1 )

>> Did she paint the trim? It looks really nice and it's a good size.

> She did the whole thing. There are neat diamonds on the edges. Let me
> see if I have a pic that shows that.
>
> Nope, but I had her take one. Here it is. It's a bad picture, but it
> looks much better in person:
> http://serenepages.org/images/objects/table_corner.jpg

Nice!

--