Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Christine Dabney

How did your Southern Food potluck/cook-in go? What was your final tally of
recipes? What were the SOCAL opinions?

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Feb 2006 01:40:06 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>How did your Southern Food potluck/cook-in go? What was your final tally of
>recipes? What were the SOCAL opinions?

My southern food went over well. I fixed some recipes from Edna
Lewis, and some of my own family's recipes.

What I fixed from Edna Lewis' recipes:

Pimento Cheese: I got exclamations of pleasure/excitement when I put
that down on the table. Seems like it is a favorite of a lot of
folks...
Thyme Smothered Chicken
Lemon Chess Pie

My own family:

Corn Pudding
Sweet Potato Pudding

Both of these can be googled, and the Sweet Potato pudding is in the
RFC cookbook.

I also made Jill's Squash casserole, but I think I cooked it too long.
Also made cornbread, but I think it cooked a bit too long as well.

I had made Limoncello too..that was started a few weeks ago.
Oh, and I made my Parmesan Cheese balls, from a recipe by Anne Willan.
I started thinking I should have made Cheese Straws...
Neither of these recipes are southern...but they went over well too, I
think.

And these were northern Cal folks...

I went overboard, as you can see... But I just got into a rhythmn of
cooking, and honestly, some of them I can do in my sleep. None were
particularly hard to do, and really didn't take much effort. I did
some of the prep the night before and baked some the day of the
potluck. It was very relaxed...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 21 Feb 2006 05:52:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

> On 22 Feb 2006 01:40:06 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>How did your Southern Food potluck/cook-in go? What was your final
>>tally of recipes? What were the SOCAL opinions?

> My southern food went over well. I fixed some recipes from Edna
> Lewis, and some of my own family's recipes.
>
> What I fixed from Edna Lewis' recipes:
>
> Pimento Cheese: I got exclamations of pleasure/excitement when I put
> that down on the table. Seems like it is a favorite of a lot of
> folks...

I'm still hunting for that one, but haven't found it yet. I don't have the
book, and can't afford to buy it just now.

> Thyme Smothered Chicken
> Lemon Chess Pie

Ohhh, one of my very favorite pies!

> My own family:
>
> Corn Pudding

I love corn pudding. My mom had a great recipe that I still use.

> Sweet Potato Pudding

Yep, I've made that one. It's very tasty!

> Both of these can be googled, and the Sweet Potato pudding is in the
> RFC cookbook.
>
> I also made Jill's Squash casserole, but I think I cooked it too long.
> Also made cornbread, but I think it cooked a bit too long as well.

I've never made Jill's recipe. I use the one they used to serve at Aunt
Fanny's Cabin. It's another favorite of mine.

> I had made Limoncello too..that was started a few weeks ago.
> Oh, and I made my Parmesan Cheese balls, from a recipe by Anne Willan.
> I started thinking I should have made Cheese Straws...
> Neither of these recipes are southern...but they went over well too, I
> think.
>
> And these were northern Cal folks...

I can't imagine anyone not liking that spread!

> I went overboard, as you can see... But I just got into a rhythmn of
> cooking, and honestly, some of them I can do in my sleep. None were
> particularly hard to do, and really didn't take much effort. I did
> some of the prep the night before and baked some the day of the
> potluck. It was very relaxed...

Sometimes it's just hard to stop when you're on a roll. I did that last
summer when I was expecting out of town family for a visit. I think I
cooked enough stuff for a week. :-)

I'm glad to know all went well and everything was enjoyed by all!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Feb 2006 06:05:38 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> Pimento Cheese: I got exclamations of pleasure/excitement when I put
>> that down on the table. Seems like it is a favorite of a lot of
>> folks....

>I'm still hunting for that one, but haven't found it yet. I don't have the
>book, and can't afford to buy it just now.

I did this partially Edna Lewis, and partially James Villas. I sort of
remember the taste from home, but when I made it like Edna does, it
seemed to lack that oomph. So I went to James Villas..and added the
stuff he adds. What seems to make a difference, is using Tabasco vs
Cayenne, at least to my tastebuds. I like the Tabasco better.

I will post the recipe I used, after my stretch working. I am so
surprised that people really pounced on it..

>> Thyme Smothered Chicken
>> Lemon Chess Pie

>Ohhh, one of my very favorite pies!

This was a very good pie. Oddly enough, I had never made it before.
Now, it will become a part of my repetoire, and I can see it as part
of the Thanksgiving spread. Or any other time.

>> My own family:
>>
>> Corn Pudding

>I love corn pudding. My mom had a great recipe that I still use.

Can you post yours?

I got a real compliment on it. Someone I respect came up to me and
asked me about it: said it was so light.

>I've never made Jill's recipe. I use the one they used to serve at Aunt
>Fanny's Cabin. It's another favorite of mine.

Can you post this as well?

>Sometimes it's just hard to stop when you're on a roll. I did that last
>summer when I was expecting out of town family for a visit. I think I
>cooked enough stuff for a week. :-)

I do that too, sometimes. And even cooking folks think it is too
much. Hard to explain how you just get into a rhythmn....

>I'm glad to know all went well and everything was enjoyed by all!

Yes, I was very pleased.

This has given me an idea of my next traveling adventures. I will be
going back to NM this spring, to hopefully settle down there, and then
travel from that area. I am thinking about traveling around the
south, especially to places I haven't been before, and experiencing
more of the South, especially the food. I have been feeling like I
really want to get back to my southern roots, and explore this
marvelous heritage, and I have the ability to do so, with my being a
traveling nurse.

For all you southerners in this newsgroup, I might be asking you for
the best places to experience this. And Wayne, you seem to have a
remarkable handle on the southern experience too...I would love your
suggestions as well.

Just don't suggest I go in the height of summer..with all the heat and
humidity. That's almost as bad as being in Phoenix in the
summer....

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:06:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

> On 22 Feb 2006 06:05:38 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Pimento Cheese: I got exclamations of pleasure/excitement when I put
>>> that down on the table. Seems like it is a favorite of a lot of
>>> folks....

>>I'm still hunting for that one, but haven't found it yet. I don't have
>>the book, and can't afford to buy it just now.

> I did this partially Edna Lewis, and partially James Villas. I sort of
> remember the taste from home, but when I made it like Edna does, it
> seemed to lack that oomph. So I went to James Villas..and added the
> stuff he adds. What seems to make a difference, is using Tabasco vs
> Cayenne, at least to my tastebuds. I like the Tabasco better.
>
> I will post the recipe I used, after my stretch working. I am so
> surprised that people really pounced on it..

I'll look forward to it!

>>> Thyme Smothered Chicken
>>> Lemon Chess Pie

>>Ohhh, one of my very favorite pies!

> This was a very good pie. Oddly enough, I had never made it before.
> Now, it will become a part of my repetoire, and I can see it as part
> of the Thanksgiving spread. Or any other time.

Chess pie (not lemon, however) has been a standard holiday in my family for
as long as I can remember.

>>> My own family:
>>>
>>> Corn Pudding

>>I love corn pudding. My mom had a great recipe that I still use.

> Can you post yours?

Gladly...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mom's Corn Pudding

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/8 cup unsalted butter
1/2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Flour
2 eggs, separated
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/16 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
paprika

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter a 8 x 10
baking dish or two 6-cup soufflé dishes. Set aside.

In a food processor, process 1-1/2 cups of corn to a rough puree. Process
remaining 1-1/2 cups of corn until only slightly chopped. Set aside.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté
until very soft, about 10-12 minutes. Mix in flour and stir 4 minutes.
Transfer to bowl and cool to lukewarm. Add egg yolks to onion mixture and
whisk to blend. Mix in corn, milk, cream, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and
pepper. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into corn mixture.

Pour mixture into prepared dish. Dust surface lightly with paprika. Bake
pudding until knife inserted into center of each comes out clean, about 1
hour. Spoon onto plates.

> I got a real compliment on it. Someone I respect came up to me and
> asked me about it: said it was so light.
>
>>I've never made Jill's recipe. I use the one they used to serve at Aunt
>>Fanny's Cabin. It's another favorite of mine.

> Can you post this as well?

Gladly...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Aunt Fanny's Squash Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 Lbs. Yellow summer squash.
1/2 Cup Chopped onions.
2 Large eggs.
1 Stick , butter.
1 Tbs. Sugar.
1 Tsp. Salt or to taste.
1/2 Tsp. Black pepper -- or to taste.
1/2 Cup Cracker meal -- hand crushed

Place a 3 to 4 quart pot of salted water on the stove, over high heat, and
bring to a boil.

Wash and cut squash into 1/2 inch chunks.

Place squash chunks and chopped onion into pot of boiling water and return
to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until squash is fork tender.
Approximately 10 minutes.

Drain VERY well. Mash to whatever texture you may desire. Do not puree.

Add eggs, sugar, salt, pepper and half the butter to your mashed squash.
Mix well to blend.

Pour mixture into a 2 quart buttered casserole.

Melt remaining butter and pour evenly over squash mixture. Sprinkle with
cracker meal.

Bake in Pre-heated 375°F. oven for approximately 1 hour or until nicely
browned and cooked through. [Set]

>>Sometimes it's just hard to stop when you're on a roll. I did that last
>>summer when I was expecting out of town family for a visit. I think I
>>cooked enough stuff for a week. :-)

> I do that too, sometimes. And even cooking folks think it is too
> much. Hard to explain how you just get into a rhythmn....
>>
>>I'm glad to know all went well and everything was enjoyed by all!

> Yes, I was very pleased.
>
> This has given me an idea of my next traveling adventures. I will be
> going back to NM this spring, to hopefully settle down there, and then
> travel from that area. I am thinking about traveling around the
> south, especially to places I haven't been before, and experiencing
> more of the South, especially the food. I have been feeling like I
> really want to get back to my southern roots, and explore this
> marvelous heritage, and I have the ability to do so, with my being a
> traveling nurse.
>
> For all you southerners in this newsgroup, I might be asking you for
> the best places to experience this. And Wayne, you seem to have a
> remarkable handle on the southern experience too...I would love your
> suggestions as well.

I have to admit that I haven't spent time in the South for decades, so
would probably be able to offer little in the way of restaurant
recommendations. Both my parents' families were from Mississippi and I
spent a great deal of time there and in Alabama, Tennessee, and the
Carolinas, but it hasn't been recent.

> Just don't suggest I go in the height of summer..with all the heat and
> humidity. That's almost as bad as being in Phoenix in the
> summer....

I would suggest Spring, which is really wonderful in the South. Most of
the flowers are in bloom, and vegetable gardens are already producing in
many areas. Summer is truly miserable because of the humidity.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:52:36 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On 22 Feb 2006 01:40:06 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
><wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>How did your Southern Food potluck/cook-in go? What was your final tally of
>>recipes? What were the SOCAL opinions?

>My southern food went over well.

I heard you won some kind of prize for excess. :-)

(I also heard it was all very good.)

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:19:16 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:52:36 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>>On 22 Feb 2006 01:40:06 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>><wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>How did your Southern Food potluck/cook-in go? What was your final tally of
>>>recipes? What were the SOCAL opinions?

>>My southern food went over well.

>I heard you won some kind of prize for excess. :-)

Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine