Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Things that get used in the kitchen....

.... that were never intended for kitchen use by the manufacturer.

I was just reading the thread on how to keep an open bag of potato chips
fresh and I had to laugh. We use fold back clips - originally intended
for keeping wads of paper together!

Any other things you can think of?

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathyxyz wrote:

> ... that were never intended for kitchen use by the manufacturer.
>
> I was just reading the thread on how to keep an open bag of potato chips
> fresh and I had to laugh. We use fold back clips - originally intended
> for keeping wads of paper together!
>
> Any other things you can think of?

I have an ...wouldn't pay the price for a fancy duck press.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:07:50 +0200, cathyxyz
> wrote:

>... that were never intended for kitchen use by the manufacturer.
>
>I was just reading the thread on how to keep an open bag of potato chips
>fresh and I had to laugh. We use fold back clips - originally intended
>for keeping wads of paper together!
>
>Any other things you can think of?
>
>--
>Cheers
>Cathy(xyz)

I often use clothes pegs to keep bags of food that will be used within
a few days closed. I particularly use it on sachets of cat food.

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
AC AC is offline

cathyxyz wrote:

> ... that were never intended for kitchen use by the manufacturer.
>
> I was just reading the thread on how to keep an open bag of potato chips
> fresh and I had to laugh. We use fold back clips - originally intended
> for keeping wads of paper together!
>
> Any other things you can think of?

those microplanes that everyone raves about and uses for zesting citrus and
grating things is actually a wood working tool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

AC wrote:

> cathyxyz wrote:
>

>>... that were never intended for kitchen use by the manufacturer.
>>
>>I was just reading the thread on how to keep an open bag of potato chips
>>fresh and I had to laugh. We use fold back clips - originally intended
>>for keeping wads of paper together!
>>
>>Any other things you can think of?

> those microplanes that everyone raves about and uses for zesting citrus and
> grating things is actually a wood working tool.

Speaking of which, I bought a pair of stainless steel sheet metal snips,
ideal for cutting up a bird. We use clothes pins to close chip and
cereal bags, cheap, ready to hand, does the job and, if one breaks, you
toss it and go into the laundry room and get another.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> cathyxyz wrote:
>
>> ... that were never intended for kitchen use by the manufacturer.
>>
>> I was just reading the thread on how to keep an open bag of potato
>> chips fresh and I had to laugh. We use fold back clips - originally
>> intended for keeping wads of paper together!
>>
>> Any other things you can think of?
>>

> I have an ...wouldn't pay the price for a fancy duck press.
> ---
> JL

I just remembered, i have a carpenters tool that i use to grate hard
cheese and nut meg with, i think it a "rasp" or some type of "planer"
designed to smooth wood but works very well for cheese and nutmeg.

Long and narrow with very small holes that 'grate' the food.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> I just remembered, i have a carpenters tool that i use to grate hard
> cheese and nut meg with, i think it a "rasp" or some type of "planer"
> designed to smooth wood but works very well for cheese and nutmeg.
>
> Long and narrow with very small holes that 'grate' the food.

That's called a "needle dick"... very apropos for someone named Little
Shoes. hehe

Sheldon 12 EEE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:17:44 -0500, "AC" > rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

>those microplanes that everyone raves about and uses for zesting citrus and
>grating things is actually a wood working tool.

And those microplaners absolutely rock. I love using it for company
dinners for, say, spaghetti and meat sauce. Great fun and soooo much
easier than the rotary shredders. Kudos to the guy who developed it
*and* to the guy who first shredded cheese with it!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd..interchange "guy" with "woman"
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines