Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A picture of my dinner

I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
white wine and Dijon mustard.

http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mmmmm. that looks yum.

--
Bron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
> confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
> sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
> white wine and Dijon mustard.
>
> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg
>

> modom

You should join alt.binaries.food

:-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> modom > wrote:
>
>> I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
>> confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
>> sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
>> white wine and Dijon mustard.
>>
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg
>>

>> modom

> You should join alt.binaries.food
>
> :-)

No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
exceptions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom wrote:

> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg

niiiice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:00:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

>No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
>that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
>exceptions.

That is an astonishingly foolish thing to to say

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> modom > wrote:
>>
>>> I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
>>> confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
>>> sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
>>> white wine and Dijon mustard.
>>>
>>> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg
>>>

>>> modom

>> You should join alt.binaries.food
>>
>> :-)

> No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
> that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
> exceptions.

Perhaps you should take you own advice in this area. Especially when you
post crappy pics for all to see like these:

http://image50.webshots.com/50/4/77/...1nuaOMa_ph.jpg

http://image52.webshots.com/152/5/76...1zPNNlL_ph.jpg

Compared to the above crappy pics you took - modom's picture is great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
> confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
> sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
> white wine and Dijon mustard.
>
> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg

I like photo and recipe.
Could you please post the whole recipe?
Cheers
Pandora

> modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnHancock" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>>> You should join alt.binaries.food
>>>
>>> :-)

>> No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
>> that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
>> exceptions.

> Perhaps you should take you own advice in this area. Especially when you
> post crappy pics for all to see like these:
>
> http://image50.webshots.com/50/4/77/...1nuaOMa_ph.jpg
>
> http://image52.webshots.com/152/5/76...1zPNNlL_ph.jpg
>

> Compared to the above crappy pics you took - modom's picture is great.

Agreed, but no flash. And, they were posted as a spoof on all this
"tonight's dinner" silliness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:00:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> > wrote:
>

>>No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
>>that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
>>exceptions.
>>

> That is an astonishingly foolish thing to to say

OK - I'll modify the statement. You could take issue with the photography
class comment, but certainly not my comment about using natural light
instead of flash. For every 100,000 people who own one or more cameras, how
many do you estimate also have the necessary diffusers and reflectors to use
flash correctly? I'll guess and say 3. Sometimes there's no choice, like
when a press photographer absolutely has to get a shot of someone coming out
of a courtroom, or freezing the action at a kid's birthday party. But, for
most of us "civilians", flash results in the worst possible pictures. Since
a dish of food is (or at least should be) stationary, it's easy to find
better options.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

The asparagus look really nice and green. Did you trim the asparagus ends?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:50:28 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

> it's easy to find better options.

What are they?? at night in a residential kitchen. Can you even turn the
flash off of the cheap cameras?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:50:28 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> it's easy to find better options.

> What are they?? at night in a residential kitchen.

Two options: Overhead light and adjust white balance. Or, no picture. People
choose "no picture" all the time.

> Can you even turn the
> flash off of the cheap cameras?

If you had a recipe which required extremely thin slices of meat, and you
had no sharp knife, no sharpener and no neighbor to borrow from, would you
make the recipe, or choose another?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:31:02 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

> "jay" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:50:28 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>> it's easy to find better options.

>> What are they?? at night in a residential kitchen.

> Two options: Overhead light and adjust white balance. Or, no picture. People
> choose "no picture" all the time.

>> Can you even turn the
>> flash off of the cheap cameras?
>>

> If you had a recipe which required extremely thin slices of meat, and you
> had no sharp knife, no sharpener and no neighbor to borrow from, would you
> make the recipe, or choose another?

BS.. you must teach school.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:31:02 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:
>

>> "jay" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> What are they?? at night in a residential kitchen.

>> Two options: Overhead light and adjust white balance. Or, no picture.
>> People
>> choose "no picture" all the time.

>>> Can you even turn the
>>> flash off of the cheap cameras?
>>>

>> If you had a recipe which required extremely thin slices of meat, and you
>> had no sharp knife, no sharpener and no neighbor to borrow from, would
>> you
>> make the recipe, or choose another?

> BS.. you must teach school.

Nope. :-) When I look, I see. Learned it from my biology teacher 35-ish
years ago. It's a rare skill these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:41:26 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

>> BS.. you must teach school.

> Nope. :-) When I look, I see. Learned it from my biology teacher 35-ish
> years ago. It's a rare skill these days.

I looked at your pictures. Enough said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:41:26 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:
>

>>> BS.. you must teach school.

>> Nope. :-) When I look, I see. Learned it from my biology teacher 35-ish
>> years ago. It's a rare skill these days.

> I looked at your pictures. Enough said.

Yes, but my goal was not to make anything look appetizing. The towel looked
pretty good, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:37:52 +0100, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
>>I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
>> confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
>> sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
>> white wine and Dijon mustard.
>>
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg

>I like photo and recipe.
>Could you please post the whole recipe?

Pandora, there really wasn't a recipe. I minced a shallot and chopped
some dried figs and minced a little preserved lemon (Tom Colicchio's
recipe from The Craft of Cooking). I pounded the loin chops till they
were about 3/8 inch thick. I'd guess that's about a centimeter for
you Europeans. Maybe thinner than that. I set the fig/lemon/shallot
mix on the meat and added some herbs de Provence. I rolled them up
and set them in a skillet with some olive oil and dusted them with
black pepper. I brought them to a sizzle and got them a little brown.
Then I set them in the 350F convection oven.

While they roasted, I chopped a mirepoix and sweated it in olive oil.
About 1 1/2 tablespoons each. When the mirepoix began to get a little
color, I added chicken stock and wine -- about a cup of each. Maybe
more chicken stock than that. Reduced it a lot. A lot. Then I added
about 1 1/2 teaspons of dijon mustard and two dashes of cayenne.

After the chops were done -- about 20 minutes -- I pulled the skillet
from the oven and dumped the sauce over them along with about 1/4 cup
more white wine to deglaze the pan. I cooked it down on the stove top
till the sauce was thickened.

That's about it.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:24:02 GMT, jay > wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:50:28 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> it's easy to find better options.

>What are they?? at night in a residential kitchen. Can you even turn the
>flash off of the cheap cameras?

Actually I had to turn the flash on! And the camera is a pretty
expensive one, to boot. But thanks for the defense anyway.

As a working visual artist and a teacher, I was well aware of the
relative quality of the photo I posted. I made some decisions about
the technology and the meal and the image and offered what I offered
with fairly clear idea of what I was doing. I didn't tidy the plate
or check the white balance or anything like that. The aim was to
present a rough and ready document of some stuff I'd made and was
about to eat. Prettyfication seemed to run counter to that aim.

Doug's suggestion that I educate myself seemed to be rather like the
man who tasted a cup of tea and complained that it was really bad
coffee. Except in this case it also presumed that I was ignorant, and
that presumption was an error of a different sort.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:14:51 GMT, jay > wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:20:04 -0600, modom wrote:
>
>The asparagus look really nice and green. Did you trim the asparagus ends?

I popped them where they wanted to break. It was fun to do, by the
way.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:37:52 +0100, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
>>>I stuffed pounded pork loin chops with a mix of dried figs, lemon
>>> confit, and shallot. All were minced. Well, not the chops. The
>>> sauce is a mirepoix with reduced chicken stock, a dash of cayenne,
>>> white wine and Dijon mustard.
>>>
>>> http://i1.tinypic.com/ndrjva.jpg

>>I like photo and recipe.
>>Could you please post the whole recipe?

> Pandora, there really wasn't a recipe. I minced a shallot and chopped
> some dried figs and minced a little preserved lemon (Tom Colicchio's
> recipe from The Craft of Cooking). I pounded the loin chops till they
> were about 3/8 inch thick. I'd guess that's about a centimeter for
> you Europeans. Maybe thinner than that. I set the fig/lemon/shallot
> mix on the meat and added some herbs de Provence. I rolled them up
> and set them in a skillet with some olive oil and dusted them with
> black pepper. I brought them to a sizzle and got them a little brown.
> Then I set them in the 350F convection oven.

Oh Thank you! It's a very nice recipe!

> While they roasted, I chopped a mirepoix and sweated it in olive oil.
> About 1 1/2 tablespoons each. When the mirepoix began to get a little
> color, I added chicken stock and wine -- about a cup of each. Maybe
> more chicken stock than that. Reduced it a lot. A lot. Then I added
> about 1 1/2 teaspons of dijon mustard and two dashes of cayenne.

What is a mirepoix?

> After the chops were done -- about 20 minutes -- I pulled the skillet
> from the oven and dumped the sauce over them along with about 1/4 cup
> more white wine to deglaze the pan. I cooked it down on the stove top
> till the sauce was thickened.

I think I will make ASAP. I like the combination of taste you made.
Thank you
Pandora

> That's about it.
>
> modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

From: http://www.foodreference.com/html/fmirepoix.html

"A mirepoix is a mixture of diced vegetables, carrots, onions and
celery (sometimes with ham or bacon), usually sauted in butter. It is
said to have been created in the 18th century by the chef of the Duc
de Levis-Mirepoix in France. Mirepoix is used to flavor stews, soups,
stocks, etc. The usual mixture is 50% onions, and 25% each carrots and
celery."

>I think I will make ASAP. I like the combination of taste you made.
>Thank you
>Pandora

Remember to trust your instincts about relative measurements and
proportions. Go with what seems right to you.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:10:02 +0100, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>> While they roasted, I chopped a mirepoix and sweated it in olive oil.
>>> About 1 1/2 tablespoons each. When the mirepoix began to get a little
>>> color, I added chicken stock and wine -- about a cup of each. Maybe
>>> more chicken stock than that. Reduced it a lot. A lot. Then I added
>>> about 1 1/2 teaspons of dijon mustard and two dashes of cayenne.

>>What is a mirepoix?

> From: http://www.foodreference.com/html/fmirepoix.html
>
> "A mirepoix is a mixture of diced vegetables, carrots, onions and
> celery (sometimes with ham or bacon), usually sauted in butter. It is
> said to have been created in the 18th century by the chef of the Duc
> de Levis-Mirepoix in France. Mirepoix is used to flavor stews, soups,
> stocks, etc. The usual mixture is 50% onions, and 25% each carrots and
> celery."

Oh! I understand, We call it "Soffritto"!

>>I think I will make ASAP. I like the combination of taste you made.
>>Thank you
>>Pandora

> Remember to trust your instincts about relative measurements and
> proportions. Go with what seems right to you.

Of course. Thank you very much!
Pandora

> modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:14:51 GMT, jay > wrote:

> >The asparagus look really nice and green. Did you trim the asparagus ends?

> I popped them where they wanted to break. It was fun to do, by the
> way.

I don't know how to do this. I thought I did, for years. Then one day
I realized that it wants to break at the tip. I took some of the butts
that I was about to toss, and bit into them. They were tender, crisp
and sweet! I realized that about half of what I was going to toss was
perfectly good.

A few years later I got a really nice bunch of asparagus. Right away my
wife starts in on me with the "break it off and throw it away" routine.
I broke a bottom off and ate it. It was just fine!

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:00:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> > wrote:
>

> >No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
> >that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
> >exceptions.
> >

> That is an astonishingly foolish thing to to say

Haven't been posting here long, have you?

:-(

On a scale of foolishness on this group, I'd only give it a "3". How
can you even compare that with "don't buy a teddy bear or you're a
pedophile"?

Frankly, I like your dinner pictures much better than the professional
pictures I see in magazines. I know that your food is designed to be
eaten, and that right after you take these pictures, you eat dinner. We
don't wipe the drops of sauce off of the rims of our plates before we
eat, and we don't arrange the meat slices "just so" either.

And the crowning touch is that it's February in the northern hemisphere.
There *is* no natural light at dinner time!

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> If you had a recipe which required extremely thin slices of meat, and you
> had no sharp knife, no sharpener and no neighbor to borrow from, would you
> make the recipe, or choose another?

I'd take my gun...and shoot myself! An rfc poster without a sharp
knife? Just not a possibility.

Actually, I'd just have the butcher slice it.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:22:18 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> modom > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:00:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >No....it should join a photography class in its home town. A picture like
>> >that should be done in natural light, not with flash. There are no
>> >exceptions.
>> >

>> That is an astonishingly foolish thing to to say

>Haven't been posting here long, have you?

Only about 12 years. But, I'm trying to learn my way about as quickly
as I can. Probably I was just in one of those too easily astonished
moods that hit me from time to time.

>On a scale of foolishness on this group, I'd only give it a "3". How
>can you even compare that with "don't buy a teddy bear or you're a
>pedophile"?

Point it well taken. And yet aesthetic judgments that allow no
exceptions strike me as astonishingly foolish. That might just be me,
though -- something to do with my profession.

>Frankly, I like your dinner pictures much better than the professional
>pictures I see in magazines. I know that your food is designed to be
>eaten, and that right after you take these pictures, you eat dinner. We
>don't wipe the drops of sauce off of the rims of our plates before we
>eat, and we don't arrange the meat slices "just so" either.

Communication is possible after all!

>And the crowning touch is that it's February in the northern hemisphere.
>There *is* no natural light at dinner time!

And my kitchen has no windows, anyway.

modom

Dinner picture modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 10 23-07-2007 08:27 AM
dinner picture 4-1-06 modom General Cooking 15 03-04-2006 02:58 PM
Dinner picture? modom General Cooking 4 31-01-2006 11:52 PM
Dinner picture -- 1-29-06 modom General Cooking 10 30-01-2006 11:25 PM
dinner picture, again modom General Cooking 25 30-01-2006 03:32 AM