Posted to rec.food.cooking
PickyJaz

Default New cooking discoveries!

I go to a local Farmers Market two towns away each Saturday morning,
with also a stocking up pass through the larger grocer's there before I
come home. While looking through the produce for items I wanted to
make a predomanently vegetable soup with, I asked the farmer if he was
any sort of a cook, and could he recommend something different for me
to try. He suggested I get a good sized Diakon(?) radish and some
China beets, using some of the beet tops shredded into the cook pot
last.

At the grocer's for a first, I saw one-pound packages of small
"Chipotle Chicken & Turkey Meatballs" that were labled as appetizers.
Wow! Those little meat spots are quite tastey, ans so the soup went
well and certainly will be made again here. Though I do live alone I
often take big pots of foods into share with my Marines, so tomorrow
this is what they will have:

CHIPOTLE MEATBALL SOUP
Put together in this order to almost cook each veggie before adding on:

2 boxes chicken broth
2 cans vegetable broth
(up to 3-quarts liquid)
1 med. Diakon, 1/4" sticks 1" long
6 China beets, 1/4" sticks 1" long, small tops shredded to add last
12-16 smaller 3/4" carrots, sliced thin
3-4 golf-ball-size shallots, sliced thin
8" of scallion whites, sliced thin
1 single celery stalk sliced thin, or use 2 heaping Tbsp. dried
1 can diced tomatoes, Italian seasoned

2/3 to 3/4 bag of frozen whole "tiny" green beans, cut to 1"

1 box Organic frozen spinach, thawed or broken up
1 can small black beans, rinsed well
2 single pound pkgs. Chipotle meatballs, whole
1 head Napa cabbage, shredded
1 bag of teeny white mushrooms, rinsed and only roots trimmed

Penzeys: sea salt & fresh ground black peppercorns, granulated garlic,
dried red & green pepper bits, Bouquet Garni, Italian seasonings. At
the very last, a shake or two of cinnamon-nutmeg mix.