Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Default crab cake recipe, is this a good one?

hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
them before.

i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.

the recipe on the can reads:

one pound byrd crab meat
one cup bread crumbs
one egg
hot sauce to taste
three T mayo
one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
one T worcsestershire sauce
one t dry mustard
two t lemon juice
two t prepared mustard
two T ch. parsley

it says to blend most ingredients, mix in the crab, and then the
crumbs. shape into patties and chill for better handling. then saute.

i know i need to double everything. i have cornflake crumbs, will these
do instead of the bread crumbs? i got them by mistake.

is this a good recipe? or should anything be added or omitted? like
would finely chopped celery be good for a little crunch? or green
onions? thanks, myraide

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Myraide wrote:
> hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> them before.
>
> i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
>
> the recipe on the can reads:
>
> one pound byrd crab meat
> one cup bread crumbs
> one egg
> hot sauce to taste
> three T mayo
> one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> one T worcsestershire sauce
> one t dry mustard
> two t lemon juice
> two t prepared mustard
> two T ch. parsley
>
> it says to blend most ingredients, mix in the crab, and then the
> crumbs. shape into patties and chill for better handling. then saute.
>
> i know i need to double everything. i have cornflake crumbs, will
> these do instead of the bread crumbs? i got them by mistake.
>
> is this a good recipe? or should anything be added or omitted? like
> would finely chopped celery be good for a little crunch? or green
> onions? thanks, myraide

The recipe should work just fine. The cornflake crumbs might make the crab
cakes a little "crunchy" but I'd probably like that Then again, they
should soften up a bit from the moisture in the recipe while they are
setting up in the fridge. No reason not to add celery or chopped onion if
you'd like to.

I'd pan fry (saute) them in a blend of a mild oil (like canola) and butter
for maximum taste. Just make sure you have the oil hot enough so they don't
get greasy, but of course you don't want it HOT or they may burn. They
don't take long at all; just until golden brown on each side. And don't
overcrowd the pan; do them in batches and let the oil/butter (or whatever
you choose to use) come back up to temp. You might even need to add a
little more oil to the pan between batches. You really only want a few
tablespoonfuls of oil at a time since you aren't deep frying the cakes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph LIttleshoes

Myraide wrote:

> hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> them before.

In the following i would omit the mayonnaise and hot sauce and make
fresh, not 'dried' bread crumbs. And replace them with potato if you
know how.

> i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
>
> the recipe on the can reads:
>
> one pound byrd crab meat
> one cup bread crumbs
> one egg
> hot sauce to taste
> three T mayo
> one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> one T worcsestershire sauce
> one t dry mustard
> two t lemon juice
> two t prepared mustard
> two T ch. parsley
>
> it says to blend most ingredients, mix in the crab, and then the
> crumbs. shape into patties and chill for better handling. then saute.
>
> i know i need to double everything. i have cornflake crumbs, will
> these
> do instead of the bread crumbs? i got them by mistake.

Do you have fresh bread? just tear it up and mix it well with the wet
and dry ingredients, some people like to use saltines and i have been
known to use commercial bread crumbs, but fresh bread is better than
dried and potatoes better than bread, but they have to be extra dry
mashed potatoes with no butter or milk added, even going so far as to
cook them on the heat to dry them out a bit. And you have to be very
careful with your addition of liquid to the potato crab cakes as they
can get mushy very easily and not hold their shape.

If you can deep fry potato baskets or are dextrous enough to manipulate
shredded raw potatoes as a 'breading' or 'coating' for the seasoned crab
meat mix ....

> is this a good recipe? or should anything be added or omitted? like
> would finely chopped celery be good for a little crunch? or green
> onions? thanks, myraide

Very thinly sliced green onion or shallots is a must around here, even
finely minced yellow onion is better than none, and don't hesitate to
experiment with white wine instead of, or in addition to any other
liquids, especially the rooster sauce, and last but not least you do not
seem to mention garlic?
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz

In article .com>,
"Myraide" > wrote:

> hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> them before.
>
> i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
>
> the recipe on the can reads:
>
> one pound byrd crab meat
> one cup bread crumbs
> one egg
> hot sauce to taste
> three T mayo
> one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> one T worcsestershire sauce
> one t dry mustard
> two t lemon juice
> two t prepared mustard
> two T ch. parsley

Cooking and eating is purely a matter of personal taste. If that crab
cake recipe appeals to you, try it as its written. Only you can judge if
you like the results.

I am not a crab cake fan, but when I worked in a small family owned
takeout seafood restaurant, I made tons of crab cakes and I used a
different recipe entirely.

The way I was taught, I would make a standard New Orleans style roux. We
would blend finely diced onions and celery as the roux cooked. We would
then dump the roux and fresh crab meat (equal amounts - 1 pound each)
with a bit of cayenne pepper and old bay seasoning into a bowl and kneed
the ingredients together with my hands until the ingredients were nicely
blended. This mixture would have the consistence of a wet bread dough.

I would then form the stuf into individual patties, dip them into an egg
wash, coat each one lightly with flour, then dip them into the egg wash
again, then coat them with corn meal, then deep fry them.

We could not sell those crab cakes fast enough! They go great with the
home made cocktail sauce we used to make.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

jmcquown wrote:
> Myraide wrote:
> > hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> > them before.
> >
> > i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
> >
> > the recipe on the can reads:
> >
> > one pound byrd crab meat
> > one cup bread crumbs
> > one egg
> > hot sauce to taste
> > three T mayo
> > one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> > one T worcsestershire sauce
> > one t dry mustard
> > two t lemon juice
> > two t prepared mustard
> > two T ch. parsley
> >
> > it says to blend most ingredients, mix in the crab, and then the
> > crumbs. shape into patties and chill for better handling. then saute.
> >
> > i know i need to double everything. i have cornflake crumbs, will
> > these do instead of the bread crumbs? i got them by mistake.
> >
> > is this a good recipe? or should anything be added or omitted? like
> > would finely chopped celery be good for a little crunch? or green
> > onions? thanks, myraide

> The recipe should work just fine. The cornflake crumbs might make the crab
> cakes a little "crunchy" but I'd probably like that Then again, they
> should soften up a bit from the moisture in the recipe while they are
> setting up in the fridge. No reason not to add celery or chopped onion if
> you'd like to.
>
> I'd pan fry (saute) them in a blend of a mild oil (like canola) and butter
> for maximum taste. Just make sure you have the oil hot enough so they don't
> get greasy, but of course you don't want it HOT or they may burn. They
> don't take long at all; just until golden brown on each side. And don't
> overcrowd the pan; do them in batches and let the oil/butter (or whatever
> you choose to use) come back up to temp. You might even need to add a
> little more oil to the pan between batches. You really only want a few
> tablespoonfuls of oil at a time since you aren't deep frying the cakes.

thank you, Jill. i was wondering about what to saute them in, and how
to saute them and was going to use a mixture of olive oil and butter,
but will use the lighter oil. and i will go with the cornflake crumbs
this time as that is what i have. crunchy will be good!

i am making a salad just with butter lettuce, satsumi sections, toasted
slivered almonds, and a light champagne dressing, and serving hot
crusty cheese bread, and mimosas and beer. myraide

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Joseph LIttleshoes wrote:
> Myraide wrote:
>
> > hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> > them before.

> In the following i would omit the mayonnaise and hot sauce and make
> fresh, not 'dried' bread crumbs. And replace them with potato if you
> know how.
>

> > i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
> >
> > the recipe on the can reads:
> >
> > one pound byrd crab meat
> > one cup bread crumbs
> > one egg
> > hot sauce to taste
> > three T mayo
> > one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> > one T worcsestershire sauce
> > one t dry mustard
> > two t lemon juice
> > two t prepared mustard
> > two T ch. parsley
> >
> > it says to blend most ingredients, mix in the crab, and then the
> > crumbs. shape into patties and chill for better handling. then saute.
> >
> > i know i need to double everything. i have cornflake crumbs, will
> > these
> > do instead of the bread crumbs? i got them by mistake.

> Do you have fresh bread? just tear it up and mix it well with the wet
> and dry ingredients, some people like to use saltines and i have been
> known to use commercial bread crumbs, but fresh bread is better than
> dried and potatoes better than bread, but they have to be extra dry
> mashed potatoes with no butter or milk added, even going so far as to
> cook them on the heat to dry them out a bit. And you have to be very
> careful with your addition of liquid to the potato crab cakes as they
> can get mushy very easily and not hold their shape.

this sounds good but i am pressed for time and only have the bread i am
serving with the crab cakes. hmmm....maybe with the leftover mashed
potatoes from christmas, which do tend to dry out, i could try this.
and i will cut back on the mayo, it seems that would make them a tad
gooey. thanks, myraide

> If you can deep fry potato baskets or are dextrous enough to manipulate
> shredded raw potatoes as a 'breading' or 'coating' for the seasoned crab
> meat mix ....
>

> > is this a good recipe? or should anything be added or omitted? like
> > would finely chopped celery be good for a little crunch? or green
> > onions? thanks, myraide

> Very thinly sliced green onion or shallots is a must around here, even
> finely minced yellow onion is better than none, and don't hesitate to
> experiment with white wine instead of, or in addition to any other
> liquids, especially the rooster sauce, and last but not least you do not
> seem to mention garlic?

i do have garlic!

> ---
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Myraide" > wrote:
>
> > hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> > them before.
> >
> > i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
> >
> > the recipe on the can reads:
> >
> > one pound byrd crab meat
> > one cup bread crumbs
> > one egg
> > hot sauce to taste
> > three T mayo
> > one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> > one T worcsestershire sauce
> > one t dry mustard
> > two t lemon juice
> > two t prepared mustard
> > two T ch. parsley

> Cooking and eating is purely a matter of personal taste. If that crab
> cake recipe appeals to you, try it as its written. Only you can judge if
> you like the results.
>
> I am not a crab cake fan, but when I worked in a small family owned
> takeout seafood restaurant, I made tons of crab cakes and I used a
> different recipe entirely.
>
> The way I was taught, I would make a standard New Orleans style roux. We
> would blend finely diced onions and celery as the roux cooked. We would
> then dump the roux and fresh crab meat (equal amounts - 1 pound each)
> with a bit of cayenne pepper and old bay seasoning into a bowl and kneed
> the ingredients together with my hands until the ingredients were nicely
> blended. This mixture would have the consistence of a wet bread dough.
>
> I would then form the stuf into individual patties, dip them into an egg
> wash, coat each one lightly with flour, then dip them into the egg wash
> again, then coat them with corn meal, then deep fry them.
>
> We could not sell those crab cakes fast enough! They go great with the
> home made cocktail sauce we used to make.

oooo this sounds good too! myraide

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Myraide" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
> them before.
>
> i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
>
> the recipe on the can reads:
>
> one pound byrd crab meat
> one cup bread crumbs
> one egg
> hot sauce to taste
> three T mayo
> one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
> one T worcsestershire sauce
> one t dry mustard
> two t lemon juice
> two t prepared mustard
> two T ch. parsley
>
> it says to blend most ingredients, mix in the crab, and then the
> crumbs. shape into patties and chill for better handling. then saute.
>
> i know i need to double everything. i have cornflake crumbs, will these
> do instead of the bread crumbs? i got them by mistake.
>
> is this a good recipe? or should anything be added or omitted? like
> would finely chopped celery be good for a little crunch? or green
> onions? thanks, myraide

Loose the bread crumbs, or at most use 1/4c. Don't even THINK about using
cornflakes! Crab cakes should be about crab, not fillers. They are not like
meatloaf - fillers do not improve them.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Myraide" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> hi, i'm making crab cakes for a lunch tomorrow, and i have never made
>> them before.
>>
>> i bot two cans of *byrd* premium crabmeat, one pound each.
>>
>> the recipe on the can reads:
>>
>> one pound byrd crab meat
>> one cup bread crumbs
>> one egg
>> hot sauce to taste
>> three T mayo
>> one t seafood seasoning ( i bot old bay lemon and herb)
>> one T worcsestershire sauce
>> one t dry mustard
>> two t lemon juice
>> two t prepared mustard
>> two T ch. parsley
>>

> Loose the bread crumbs, or at most use 1/4c. Don't even THINK about
> using cornflakes! Crab cakes should be about crab, not fillers. They
> are not like meatloaf - fillers do not improve them.

IMHO the breadcrumbs act as a binder with the egg and help hold the "cakes"
together. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to make a mostly crab crab cake,
using various recipes, and they tend to fall apart. I wind up with crab
hash, not crab cakes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:

> IMHO the breadcrumbs act as a binder with the egg and help hold the
> "cakes"
> together. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to make a mostly crab crab cake,
> using various recipes, and they tend to fall apart. I wind up with crab
> hash, not crab cakes.
>
> Jill

A few crumbs, sure, but not as much as you have crab. Try these. They
require gentle handling but will stay together:

1 lb crab meat.picked over
3 scallions, white and green parts, minced
1/2 TB Old Bay
2-3 TB fine dry bread crumbs
1/4c mayo
1 egg
S&P to taste

Mix and form into cakes about 3" across and 1" think. Refrigerate for at
least 1 hour - this helps them stick together. Pan fry in 1/8" oil until
brown on both sides.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Peter Aitken wrote:

> A few crumbs, sure, but not as much as you have crab. Try these. They
> require gentle handling but will stay together:
>
> 1 lb crab meat.picked over
> 3 scallions, white and green parts, minced
> 1/2 TB Old Bay
> 2-3 TB fine dry bread crumbs
> 1/4c mayo
> 1 egg
> S&P to taste
>
> Mix and form into cakes about 3" across and 1" think. Refrigerate for at
> least 1 hour - this helps them stick together. Pan fry in 1/8" oil until
> brown on both sides.

Yes, that is more like a good classic Maryland Crab Cake. Simple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Goomba38 wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > A few crumbs, sure, but not as much as you have crab. Try these. They
> > require gentle handling but will stay together:
> >
> > 1 lb crab meat.picked over
> > 3 scallions, white and green parts, minced
> > 1/2 TB Old Bay
> > 2-3 TB fine dry bread crumbs
> > 1/4c mayo
> > 1 egg
> > S&P to taste
> >
> > Mix and form into cakes about 3" across and 1" think. Refrigerate for at
> > least 1 hour - this helps them stick together. Pan fry in 1/8" oil until
> > brown on both sides.

> Yes, that is more like a good classic Maryland Crab Cake. Simple.

hi, having made and now consumed the crab cakes, i know what i will do
differently next time.

cut the crumb stuff in half, or use fresh bread, and crumbs on the
outside of the cake.
up the hot sauce....i was too timid this time.
more salt. i tend not to use much at all.
added sauted sweet onion, celery, and garlic, which added flavor, but
maybe took away from the crabs delicate flavor also....? may adjust by
adding more crab, less crumbs....

i used half bread crumbs and half cornflake crumbs. the outer crust was
crispy and good, but the ratio of crab to other stuff was off. i served
them with tartar sauce and a mango salsa...which was yummy, and gave
the suble flavor some sweet and spice.

for my first attempt, they were good! thanks, all here, for your help!
myraide