Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Port Wine ?

I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment for
pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a pork roast
cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided to check it out.
My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when cooking with?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment for
> pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a pork roast
> cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided to check it out.
> My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when cooking with?

I think it's a matter of preference. The difference in taste will be subtle
at best when usen in cooking. For drinking I think tawny is better than red,
but I really doubt that you will notice the difference in cooking.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph LIttleshoes

~patches~ wrote:

> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment
> for
> pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a pork
> roast
> cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided to check it
> out.
> My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when cooking with?

When YOU decide, through trial and error which is best for YOU. Try
reducing the port over a genteel heat by 2/3' and using it in a
chocolate cake.
----
JL

p.s. google group search "joseph+littleshoes+catalan+cake"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

~patches~ wrote:

> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment for
> pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a pork roast
> cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided to check it out.
> My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when cooking with?

Ruby is younger, darker, sweeter, and has more kick. As it ages, tawny port
pales and refines itself to a smooth, mellow drink that is somewhat drier
than ruby.

To my way of thinking, ruby is pretty much always superior to tawny in
cooking, because the nuances picked up in the aging process are usually lost
when you apply heat.

But take note of the weather: You can use any port in a storm.

(Har har har...)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

~patches~ wrote:
> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment
> for pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a pork
> roast cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided to
> check it out. My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when
> cooking with?

Either or. I prefer tawny because I like to sip on it, too. It's not as
sweet as red port. Thanks for reminding me... I think I'll pour some in a
snifter

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment
>> for pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a
>> pork roast cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided
>> to check it out. My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when
>> cooking with?

> But take note of the weather: You can use any port in a storm.
>
> (Har har har...)
>
> Bob

<groan> Where you been, Bob? Working? Haven't seen you in the chat
channel in a few

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment for
>> pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a pork roast
>> cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided to check it out.
>> My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when cooking with?

> Ruby is younger, darker, sweeter, and has more kick. As it ages, tawny
> port pales and refines itself to a smooth, mellow drink that is somewhat
> drier than ruby.
>
> To my way of thinking, ruby is pretty much always superior to tawny in
> cooking, because the nuances picked up in the aging process are usually
> lost
> when you apply heat.
>
> But take note of the weather: You can use any port in a storm.
>
> (Har har har...)
>
> Bob

This is a new one on this ng: Har har har. I like it, but I want to add,
"Matie."
"Har har har, Matie."
LOL,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> ~patches~ wrote:
>>
>>> I've used a red port wine for making port wine jelly as a condiment
>>> for pork. Occasionally, I'll toss a little red port wine into a
>>> pork roast cooking. Reading here I saw tawny port wine so decided
>>> to check it out. My question is when to use a red vs a tawny when
>>> cooking with?

>> Ruby is younger, darker, sweeter, and has more kick. As it ages,
>> tawny port pales and refines itself to a smooth, mellow drink that
>> is somewhat drier than ruby.
>>
>> To my way of thinking, ruby is pretty much always superior to tawny
>> in cooking, because the nuances picked up in the aging process are
>> usually lost
>> when you apply heat.
>>
>> But take note of the weather: You can use any port in a storm.
>>
>> (Har har har...)
>>
>> Bob

> This is a new one on this ng: Har har har. I like it, but I want to
> add, "Matie."
> "Har har har, Matie."
> LOL,
> Dee Dee

Are you dressed like a pirate? Got a parrot on your shoulder? Shall I loan
you a parrot? (they don't come with diapers, you know!)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marge

I've made beef medallions with a port cranberry sauce (port, broth and
dried cranberries), that's the best meal, got it from Bon Appetit, they
used it with venison medallions).
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ews/views/2069

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pgluth1

Although I am usually a tawny drinker and am loath to use the good stuff to
cook with, I usually think of this very oversimplified concept when
cooking:

Ruby port if I want a richer grape flavor.
Tawny if I am looking for something closer to sherry.

Both are good; both are quite different. Let us know what you make!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

pgluth1 wrote:

> Although I am usually a tawny drinker and am loath to use the good stuff to
> cook with, I usually think of this very oversimplified concept when
> cooking:
>
> Ruby port if I want a richer grape flavor.
> Tawny if I am looking for something closer to sherry.
>
> Both are good; both are quite different. Let us know what you make!

I will I have a nice ruby port and a dry sherry. I'll pick up a
tawny port later this week. Then I might do a test run using a small
piece of beef with each to see what the flavour result is before doing a
full meal.