Posted to rec.food.cooking
sha sha

Default food from our heritage

I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?

thanks,
sha sha

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"sha sha" > wrote in message
. ..
>I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from
>our heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?

Depends where you come from. What dishes did your great grandmother
make?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
C. James Strutz

"sha sha" > wrote in message
. ..
>I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
>heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?
>
> thanks,
> sha sha

Whatever food is traditional in your family's native country, ideally
something passed down through your family. If you are Chinese then you would
make something from a traditional Chinese recipe. Likewise for German,
Polish, Greek, Italian, Russian, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

sha sha wrote:

> I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
> heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?

That would depend a lot on their heritage. Being of English, Irish and Dutch
decent, for me it would mean potatoes, roast beef, root vegetables or seasonal
greens, lots of porridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"C. James Strutz" > wrote in message

> "sha sha" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
>>heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?
>>
>> thanks,
>> sha sha

> Whatever food is traditional in your family's native country, ideally
> something passed down through your family. If you are Chinese then you
> would make something from a traditional Chinese recipe. Likewise for
> German, Polish, Greek, Italian, Russian, etc.

I interpret this rather loosely.......my ancestors were Irish and German,
but nobody in my family ever made any Irish or German food. I grew up in
Buffalo, so I consider chicken wings and beef on weck sandwiches to be part
of my heritage.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

sha sha wrote:
> I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
> heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?

Based on your post, Turkey Pot Pie would be a good fit for your
heritage. Usual ingredients would be along the lines of:
cooked turkey -- say 2 cups, diced
small onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 small carrots, diced
some chopped parsley
chopped mushrooms (optional)
After sweating the veggies, make a white sauce medium thick
incorporating a little bit of sherry. Using both poultry broth and
milk would be good. Combine the sauce with the veggies and the turkey.
Optionally, add a few frozen peas. Additional herbs could include
sage or thyme.
Make (or buy uncooked) a standard pie crust (double) for a 9" pie pan.
Line the pan bottom, spoon in the mixture, cover with the second crust,
make some vent holes and bake at 375°F or 400°F until top crust is
golden brown. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes out of the oven
before cutting.

Serve with some additional condiments for individual choice:
worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, Louisiana red hot sauce. And
cranberry/orange relish on the side. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Y

If you have a split heritage, why not invent your own dish taking one
part from one side and one from the other ?

I "invented" a dish called Parisian Pork that took a cabbage/pork recipe
from Alsace and mixed it with cider and apples from Normandy, as Paris
was half betweeen the two I call it Parisian Pork

Steve
(who is neither from Alsace or Normandy)

Chris wrote:
> "C. James Strutz" > wrote in message
>
>>"sha sha" > wrote in message
m...

>>>I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
>>>heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>sha sha

>>Whatever food is traditional in your family's native country, ideally
>>something passed down through your family. If you are Chinese then you
>>would make something from a traditional Chinese recipe. Likewise for
>>German, Polish, Greek, Italian, Russian, etc.
>>

> I interpret this rather loosely.......my ancestors were Irish and German,
> but nobody in my family ever made any Irish or German food. I grew up in
> Buffalo, so I consider chicken wings and beef on weck sandwiches to be part
> of my heritage.
>
> Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

sha sha wrote:
> I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food
> from our heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?
>
> thanks,
> sha sha

Recipes from Europe.

LOL (sorry folks, it's obvious school is out for the U.S. holidays)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"sha sha" > wrote:

> I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
> heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?
>
> thanks,
> sha sha

An "ethnic" dish, typical or one for special occasions.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article <danhf.6775$Dx3.4187@trnddc07>,
"Chris" > wrote:

> "C. James Strutz" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sha sha" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >>I need your help, we belong to a dinner group, the theme is "food from our
> >>heritage"... what kind of recipes would this be?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> sha sha

> > Whatever food is traditional in your family's native country, ideally
> > something passed down through your family. If you are Chinese then you
> > would make something from a traditional Chinese recipe. Likewise for
> > German, Polish, Greek, Italian, Russian, etc.
> >

> I interpret this rather loosely.......my ancestors were Irish and German,
> but nobody in my family ever made any Irish or German food. I grew up in
> Buffalo, so I consider chicken wings and beef on weck sandwiches to be part
> of my heritage.
>
> Chris

Interesting reply, Chris. In our family, my sibs and I are the first
generation born in this country. My mom cooked what she knew from the
Motherland and I grew up eating it and have some familiarity with it.
My familiarity, though, is somewhat less than my older sibs' because I
think mom didn't cook as much of the 'old country' stuff after my dad
died (I was quite young).

Rob's about the second or third generation to be born Stateside and
doesn't have the same kind of eating experiences - his mom was raised by
an American-born woman and his (Rob's) maternal grandfather was not
interested in things French Canadian, besides, because he was harrassed
as a kid in school because of his heritage. And it was the women who
were cooking.

My sister assumed that because of his ancestry, Rob would know all about
Swiss or French Canadian foods. Not so. Rob didn't grow up eating any
'ethnic' dish as a direct result of his ethnic heritage; I grew up
eating lots of them. I made some serious mistakes in not exposing my
kids to much of 'our' food when they were young. A story for another
time. Or not.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!

our heritage (OT) Dimitri General Cooking 27 25-08-2010 04:08 PM
heritage turkeys Cam Barbecue 0 24-11-2004 03:24 PM
heritage fine wines MAUOMBO Wine 2 15-07-2004 07:48 AM
Heritage pork Larry Preuss General Cooking 12 26-05-2004 11:57 PM
heritage/brewpub John D. Misrahi Winemaking 0 24-04-2004 09:55 PM