Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

Default Ping: Jill another squash recipe

Whe you get tired of soup, try this one!

The article was in our local fish wrap Oct. 26, 2005
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...&sn=003&sc=701
or
http://tinyurl.com/8tc5f

Here is the recipe

Roasted Squash & Poblano Chile Enchiladas

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder or other mild chili powder (see Note)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
3 poblano chiles
1 small onion, thinly sliced
12 corn tortillas
3 cups canned enchilada sauce
3 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
Sour cream and guacamole

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Toss the squash with the chile powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the
olive oil. Place squash on 1-2 baking sheets in a single layer and
roast until the pieces are cooked through and have started to brown at
the edges, around 15 minutes. The squash should still hold its shape.
Set aside to cool.

Reduce the oven heat to 350°. Meanwhile, char the poblanos over a
grill or gas flame. (You can also use a broiler or grill pan.) Turn
frequently as they char and blister -- it's not necessary to char
every inch of skin. This should take about 10 minutes over a grill or
gas flame. Seal peppers in a plastic bag for a few minutes and let
them steam. Remove the chiles from the bag. Remove the charred
skins, the seeds and inner membrane and slice the flesh into thin
strips.
Sauté the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft
and translucent. Combine with the squash and strips of poblano.

Soften the tortillas in a hot, dry cast-iron skillet, about half a
minute on each side. Stack the tortillas and keep them warm until you
are ready to assemble the enchiladas.

Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Pour about
half the enchilada sauce into a pie plate. Dip each tortilla into the
sauce, wiping off excess sauce along the edge of the pie tin.

Place a tortilla in the prepared baking dish and fill with a heaping
1/2 cup of the squash mixture and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Roll the
enchilada and place it seam side down. Continue filling and rolling
until all the tortillas are used. Pour the remaining sauce over the
enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake until hot and bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Serve with sour cream and
guacamole.
Serves 6-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Jill another squash recipe

sf wrote:
> Whe you get tired of soup, try this one!
>
> The article was in our local fish wrap Oct. 26, 2005

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...&sn=003&sc=701
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/8tc5f
>
> Here is the recipe
>
> Roasted Squash & Poblano Chile Enchiladas
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
> 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder or other mild chili powder (see Note)
> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
> 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
> 3 poblano chiles
> 1 small onion, thinly sliced
> 12 corn tortillas
> 3 cups canned enchilada sauce
> 3 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
> Sour cream and guacamole
>
> INSTRUCTIONS:
> Preheat the oven to 400°.
> Toss the squash with the chile powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the
> olive oil. Place squash on 1-2 baking sheets in a single layer and
> roast until the pieces are cooked through and have started to brown at
> the edges, around 15 minutes. The squash should still hold its shape.
> Set aside to cool.
>
> Reduce the oven heat to 350°. Meanwhile, char the poblanos over a
> grill or gas flame. (You can also use a broiler or grill pan.) Turn
> frequently as they char and blister -- it's not necessary to char
> every inch of skin. This should take about 10 minutes over a grill or
> gas flame. Seal peppers in a plastic bag for a few minutes and let
> them steam. Remove the chiles from the bag. Remove the charred
> skins, the seeds and inner membrane and slice the flesh into thin
> strips.
> Sauté the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft
> and translucent. Combine with the squash and strips of poblano.
>
> Soften the tortillas in a hot, dry cast-iron skillet, about half a
> minute on each side. Stack the tortillas and keep them warm until you
> are ready to assemble the enchiladas.
>
> Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Pour about
> half the enchilada sauce into a pie plate. Dip each tortilla into the
> sauce, wiping off excess sauce along the edge of the pie tin.
>
> Place a tortilla in the prepared baking dish and fill with a heaping
> 1/2 cup of the squash mixture and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Roll the
> enchilada and place it seam side down. Continue filling and rolling
> until all the tortillas are used. Pour the remaining sauce over the
> enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
>
> Bake until hot and bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Serve with sour cream and
> guacamole.
> Serves 6-8

Sounds great! I'll have to hunt down some poblanos... I never see a great
pepper selection at my grocery store.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> sf wrote:
> > Whe you get tired of soup, try this one!
> >
> > The article was in our local fish wrap Oct. 26, 2005

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...7RI51.DTL&hw=s
easonal+cook&sn=003&sc=701
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/8tc5f
> >
> > Here is the recipe
> >
> > Roasted Squash & Poblano Chile Enchiladas
> >
> > INGREDIENTS:
> > 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
> > 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder or other mild chili powder (see Note)
> > 1 tablespoon kosher salt
> > 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
> > 3 poblano chiles
> > 1 small onion, thinly sliced
> > 12 corn tortillas
> > 3 cups canned enchilada sauce
> > 3 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
> > Sour cream and guacamole
> >
> > INSTRUCTIONS:
> > Preheat the oven to 400°.
> > Toss the squash with the chile powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the
> > olive oil. Place squash on 1-2 baking sheets in a single layer and
> > roast until the pieces are cooked through and have started to brown at
> > the edges, around 15 minutes. The squash should still hold its shape.
> > Set aside to cool.
> >
> > Reduce the oven heat to 350°. Meanwhile, char the poblanos over a
> > grill or gas flame. (You can also use a broiler or grill pan.) Turn
> > frequently as they char and blister -- it's not necessary to char
> > every inch of skin. This should take about 10 minutes over a grill or
> > gas flame. Seal peppers in a plastic bag for a few minutes and let
> > them steam. Remove the chiles from the bag. Remove the charred
> > skins, the seeds and inner membrane and slice the flesh into thin
> > strips.
> > Sauté the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft
> > and translucent. Combine with the squash and strips of poblano.
> >
> > Soften the tortillas in a hot, dry cast-iron skillet, about half a
> > minute on each side. Stack the tortillas and keep them warm until you
> > are ready to assemble the enchiladas.
> >
> > Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Pour about
> > half the enchilada sauce into a pie plate. Dip each tortilla into the
> > sauce, wiping off excess sauce along the edge of the pie tin.
> >
> > Place a tortilla in the prepared baking dish and fill with a heaping
> > 1/2 cup of the squash mixture and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Roll the
> > enchilada and place it seam side down. Continue filling and rolling
> > until all the tortillas are used. Pour the remaining sauce over the
> > enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
> >
> > Bake until hot and bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Serve with sour cream and
> > guacamole.
> > Serves 6-8

> Sounds great! I'll have to hunt down some poblanos... I never see a great
> pepper selection at my grocery store.
>
> Jill

We can always find poblanos at the dreaded stinky meat store, Jill. If you
really can't find them, let me know. I'll send you some.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:55:04 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Whe you get tired of soup, try this one!

> Sounds great! I'll have to hunt down some poblanos... I never see a great
> pepper selection at my grocery store.

Don't feel married to poblano... it's a suggestion rather than a rule.
If you like 'em hotter and can find them, go for it. If there is some
other mildish pepper available, use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JeanineAlyse

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:55:04 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > > Whe you get tired of soup, try this one!

> > Sounds great! I'll have to hunt down some poblanos... I never see a great
> > pepper selection at my grocery store.
> >

> Don't feel married to poblano... it's a suggestion rather than a rule.
> If you like 'em hotter and can find them, go for it. If there is some
> other mildish pepper available, use it.

Commenting also, the recipe sounds like a good one for using Ortega
peppers also, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the canned whole ones.
Picky