Posted to rec.food.cooking
JeanineAlyse

Default Help needed, Reynold's Oven Bags

I would appreciate help with knowing if it may be okay to use two "oven
bags" in a large slow cooker I have in order to keep two vegetables
from mixing together while staying hot. I volunteered to bring two
veggie dishes to a potluck at work tomorrow, before learning that there
will be no kitchen facility to use where this dinner is being held.
There will be plenty of electrical outlets and a couple of small
microwaves to use, but the food-bringers possibly needing such to keep
things hot will be in excess of 40 people.

I have a slow cooker big enough to contain both the steamed, buttered,
seasonesd Brussels sprouts and "Broccoflower" I will be taking, and
this cooker also has an insulated canvas, thermal carry-case. I'm
hoping I can near-to-done steam and season the veggies today,
refrigerate over night, and then pt each into an oven bag to sit
side-by-side in the closed cooker that I will plug in during the
morning work hours to re-heat before then carting it off to the dinner
building for serving while it's still very hot.

I will also want to pour each veggie into a throw-away tin service tray
for use on the potluck table, as last time I provided a really great
and huge cabbage, apples, walnut salad for such an event, my can't
get-it-anymore Tupperware container (which I was eventually able to
replace at $19) was never seen again. May it be possible to use two of
these oven bags together inside a ceramic slow cooker?

Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"JeanineAlyse" > wrote:

> I would appreciate help with knowing if it may be okay to use two "oven
> bags" in a large slow cooker I have in order to keep two vegetables
> from mixing together while staying hot. I volunteered to bring two
> veggie dishes to a potluck at work tomorrow, before learning that there
> will be no kitchen facility to use where this dinner is being held.
> There will be plenty of electrical outlets and a couple of small
> microwaves to use, but the food-bringers possibly needing such to keep
> things hot will be in excess of 40 people.
>
> I have a slow cooker big enough to contain both the steamed, buttered,
> seasonesd Brussels sprouts and "Broccoflower" I will be taking, and
> this cooker also has an insulated canvas, thermal carry-case. I'm
> hoping I can near-to-done steam and season the veggies today,
> refrigerate over night, and then pt each into an oven bag to sit
> side-by-side in the closed cooker that I will plug in during the
> morning work hours to re-heat before then carting it off to the dinner
> building for serving while it's still very hot.
>
> I will also want to pour each veggie into a throw-away tin service tray
> for use on the potluck table, as last time I provided a really great
> and huge cabbage, apples, walnut salad for such an event, my can't
> get-it-anymore Tupperware container (which I was eventually able to
> replace at $19) was never seen again. May it be possible to use two of
> these oven bags together inside a ceramic slow cooker?
>
> Picky

You da bomb, Miss Jeanine! Sounds like a brilliant plan to me, you
clever rascalette! I cannot conceive of any reason to not do it your
way.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> I would appreciate help with knowing if it may be okay to use two
> "oven bags" in a large slow cooker I have in order to keep two
> vegetables from mixing together while staying hot. I volunteered to
> bring two veggie dishes to a potluck at work tomorrow, before
> learning that there will be no kitchen facility to use where this
> dinner is being held. There will be plenty of electrical outlets and
> a couple of small microwaves to use, but the food-bringers possibly
> needing such to keep things hot will be in excess of 40 people.
>
> I have a slow cooker big enough to contain both the steamed, buttered,
> seasonesd Brussels sprouts and "Broccoflower" I will be taking, and
> this cooker also has an insulated canvas, thermal carry-case. I'm
> hoping I can near-to-done steam and season the veggies today,
> refrigerate over night, and then pt each into an oven bag to sit
> side-by-side in the closed cooker that I will plug in during the
> morning work hours to re-heat before then carting it off to the dinner
> building for serving while it's still very hot.

Sounds like it should work fine. Those bags are made for much higher
(hotter) temps than the temps in a slow cooker and assuming you have room
for both side by side, shouldn't be a problem. Then just dump them out in
the tin service trays; cover with heavy-duty foil if you need to keep it all
hot before serving.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JeanineAlyse

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> You da bomb, Miss Jeanine! Sounds like a brilliant plan to me, you
> clever rascalette! I cannot conceive of any reason to not do it your
> way.Barb, Mr. Libido, Jill, THANK YOU!!! I was leery of those bags possibly sticking together and melting, or even sticking to the ceramic as it heats, so the comment of one's using a bag in a slow cooker before was just what I was hoping to learn.

The sprouts are steaming as I type and the Broccoflower is pruned,
rinsed and waiting for next-sies. The separate bars of butter are
awaiting melt with seasonings to pour over each.

Yippee!!! I knew this group was where to ask for help with my never
tried or used those bags dilemma. This poorly planned and 47% voted
against potluck (vs catered dinner that was really good last year) will
at least see some very hot cookin' comin' from the PickyOne!

I owe you all anything I can be of help with, Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sunshine

On 20 Nov 2005 13:08:19 -0800, "JeanineAlyse" >
wrote:

>I would appreciate help with knowing if it may be okay to use two "oven
>bags" in a large slow cooker I have in order to keep two vegetables
>from mixing together while staying hot. I volunteered to bring two
>veggie dishes to a potluck at work tomorrow, before learning that there
>will be no kitchen facility to use where this dinner is being held.
>There will be plenty of electrical outlets and a couple of small
>microwaves to use, but the food-bringers possibly needing such to keep
>things hot will be in excess of 40 people.
>
>..snip...
>
>Picky

I will chime in, a little late never-the-less... I just saw bags for
your slow cooker while out shoping this weekend. I can remember if I
saw them at WalMart or at our local Kroger, but they are out there.

Good luck!
~Sunshine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

wrote:

>I would appreciate help with knowing if it may be okay to use two "oven
>bags" in a large slow cooker I have in order to keep two vegetables
>from mixing together while staying hot.

Just today at the store, next to the 'oven bags' I saw 'slow cooker
bags'--wonder just what the difference is.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 01:44:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
Wheeler?

> On 20 Nov 2005 13:08:19 -0800, "JeanineAlyse" >
> wrote:
>
>>I would appreciate help with knowing if it may be okay to use two "oven
>>bags" in a large slow cooker I have in order to keep two vegetables
>>from mixing together while staying hot.

> Just today at the store, next to the 'oven bags' I saw 'slow cooker
> bags'--wonder just what the difference is.

Shape/size.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*