Posted to alt.support.diabetes,sci.med.cardiology,rec.food.cooking,alt.support.diet.low-carb
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Default Type II, Exercise, and BG Readings

Dr Guitar wrote:

> I was diagnosed with Type II back in January of '05, with a BG reading of
> 147 or so after 12 hours (second one... first test had shown similar
> results). I began fairly rigorous workouts, have lost around 60 pounds, and
> average 3-5 weekly workouts of 850-1000 calories (about 12-18 miles
> treadmill or elliptical). I currently weigh 180 pounds.
>
> So far so good. My problem is that two hours after meals my BG readings are
> usually in the 85-90 range, some mornings prior to workouts around 105-110.
> I've found myself eating like a HORSE, including prettu bad stuff, and not
> seeing much of a change in those BG levels.
>
> Is this because of the workouts?

It is the 60 lbs weight loss.

> Was a misdiagnosis possible?

Possible but unlikely. More likely is being cured thanks to losing
weight.

> I test on my
> forearm... Could THAT result in incorrect readings?

If that were a concern, it would be simple to see how your glucometer
matches your doctor's.

> Anyone ever experience
> something like this? It seems a nice problem to have, but I'm afraid I may
> be misunderstanding or missing something.

Overweight diabetics who are not losing the weight are the ones who are
missing something.

Would be more than happy to "glow" and chat about this and other things
like cardiology, diabetes and nutrition that interest those following
this thread here next week:

http://tinyurl.com/cpayh

For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
the LORD has reshaped me:

http://tinyurl.com/bgfqt

In Christ's love always,

Andrew
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1D5217EA
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?W13A4250B
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129
--
In Christ's love and service forevermore,

Andrew