Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

Default butternut lasagna

Watching Food Network today....

Butternut Squash Lasagna
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
See this recipe on air Thursday Nov. 17 at 9:00 PM ET/PT.
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Cook's Note: The no-boil lasagna noodles can be substituted with fresh
spinach lasagna sheets. Look for fresh lasagna sheets in the
refrigerated section of specialty markets.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into
1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
3 amaretti cookies, crumbled
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
Pinch nutmeg
3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
12 no-boil lasagna noodles
2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the
squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water
into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the
squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool
slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the
amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree, to
taste, with more salt and pepper.

Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add
the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring
to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer
until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes.
Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a
blender*. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce
to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt
and pepper, to taste.

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375° F.
Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup
of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles
on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the
noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup
of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.

Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40
minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over
the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the
top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes
before serving.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to
cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food
processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender,
release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that
creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine,
pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.

Episode#: EI1E05
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserv

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sounds interesting, thanks!

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:29:01 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>Watching Food Network today....
>
>Butternut Squash Lasagna

Ooh, I saw that one, and thought it looked extremely good. I was
going to go find the recipe, and you just saved me the effort.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Watching Food Network today....

I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche" and they
are the same thing, IMHO.
Cheers
Pandora

------------------------------

> [...]
> of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.
>
> Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40
> minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over
> the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the
> top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes
> before serving.
>
> *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to
> cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food
> processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender,
> release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that
> creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine,
> pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
>
> Episode#: EI1E05
> Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserv

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:49:16 +0100, Pandora wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > Watching Food Network today....

> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche" and they
> are the same thing, IMHO.

They are very different. I think butternut is a bit sweeter than
pumpkin and much more versatile.

Pumpkin http://www.seedsavers.org/images/1048.jpg
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/images...er/pumpkin.jpg

butternut http://www.vegiworks.com/butternut.jpg
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/27/Ta..._recipes.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche" and they
> are the same thing, IMHO.
> Cheers
> Pandora

Not the same thing. :-) At all!

Pumkins are big, hollow and bland. Little if any flavor.

Butternuts are smaller, kinda pear shaped with a long top, and have a
dense, sweet fruit.

You can google for it he

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Pandora" > wrote in
:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> Watching Food Network today....

> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche"
> and they are the same thing, IMHO.
> Cheers
> Pandora
>
> ------------------------------
>>
>> Butternut Squash Lasagna

In Australia this would be called Butternut Pumpkin Lasagne. We pretty
much call all the winter squashes pumpkin,too Pandora,and they are all
related, but they don't all taste the same.

Butternut is one of my favourites. Nice looking recipe, though I don't
think I'd ever get Rob to eat it.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:49:16 +0100, Pandora wrote:
>

>> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > Watching Food Network today....

>> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
>> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche" and
>> they
>> are the same thing, IMHO.

> They are very different. I think butternut is a bit sweeter than
> pumpkin and much more versatile.
>
> Pumpkin http://www.seedsavers.org/images/1048.jpg
> http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/images...er/pumpkin.jpg
>
> butternut http://www.vegiworks.com/butternut.jpg
> http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/27/Ta..._recipes.shtml

Oh! Thank you! I understand. In Italy we don't make differences: they are
both zucche
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
>> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche" and
>> they
>> are the same thing, IMHO.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> Not the same thing. :-) At all!
>
> Pumkins are big, hollow and bland. Little if any flavor.
>
> Butternuts are smaller, kinda pear shaped with a long top, and have a
> dense, sweet fruit.
>
> You can google for it he
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
>
> Cheers!

Thank you Om! I googled and I saw it was a Zucca, for me.
Now I know that butternut is a sweeter zucca
Cheers
Pandora
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Rhonda Anderson" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.5...
> "Pandora" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>
>>> Watching Food Network today....

>> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
>> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche"
>> and they are the same thing, IMHO.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Butternut Squash Lasagna

> In Australia this would be called Butternut Pumpkin Lasagne. We pretty
> much call all the winter squashes pumpkin,too Pandora,and they are all
> related, but they don't all taste the same.
>
> Butternut is one of my favourites. Nice looking recipe, though I don't
> think I'd ever get Rob to eat it.
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Butternut pumpikin. This sounds better
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:41:51 +0100, Pandora wrote:

> Oh! Thank you! I understand. In Italy we don't make differences: they are
> both zucche

You're welcome... so zucche is a winter squash or is it an even more
generic term? How do you differentiate betweem them?

We have green and yellow summer squashes that are called zucchini:
http://www.obst-gemuese.at/images/pr...g/zucchini.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/d25v6 (the round ones have other names)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> "Rhonda Anderson" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> .5...
> > "Pandora" > wrote in
> > :

> >> I like this recipe, sf. But I want to ask you a thing: what is the
> >> difference between a butternut and a pumpkin? We call them "zucche"
> >> and they are the same thing, IMHO.
> >> Cheers
> >> Pandora
> >>
> >> ------------------------------

> > In Australia this would be called Butternut Pumpkin Lasagne. We pretty
> > much call all the winter squashes pumpkin,too Pandora,and they are all
> > related, but they don't all taste the same.
> >
> > Butternut is one of my favourites. Nice looking recipe, though I don't
> > think I'd ever get Rob to eat it.
> >
> > Rhonda Anderson
> > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

> Butternut pumpikin. This sounds better
> Cheers
> Pandora

I see. So basically, what we call winter squash, y'all call pumpkin.

Makes more sense now. :-)
--
Om.