Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Knecht

Default Any tips on preparing pasta in the microwave?

How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the microwave?
How long?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Budd Tugley

There is no need to do this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Ken Knecht wrote:
> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the microwave?

Good for small quantities, like a third pound or less.

> How long?

Depends on the wattage of your unit... read the user manual for
details.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cryambers

Ken Knecht wrote:
> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the microwave?
> How long?
>
> TIA

For the past 7 months, we've had no kitchen, and I have been cooking
primarily with a toaster oven and microwave. I probably would never
have tried making spaghetti in the microwave otherwise. I have
concluded that the microwave is not a great way to prepare pasta,
unless you don't have another option. The smaller the pieces, the
better it works. You need a lot of liquid.

I have made this recipe several times. The first time, it came out
perfectly. On subsequent tries, the pasta came out either over or
under cooked. I've made it both with broken up pieces of thin
spaghetti and with small elbow macaroni. I think the time it came out
best, I measured more precisely than the other times.
http://busycooks.about.com/library/p...nmicrospag.htm

I hope this helps,
Pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carol Garbo

Why on earth would you want to prepare pasta in a microwave? It's
really about as quick to cook it on the stove (and MUCH better). Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

Ken Knecht wrote:
> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the microwave?
> How long?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> A closed mouth gathers no foot.

It takes the same amount of time to cook pasta in a microwave as it
does on the stove because it takes the same amount of time for the
pasta to re-hydrate whether it's in a pan of water on the stove or a
dish of water in the microwave. To cook pasta in the microwave, place
a suitable container of lightly salted water in the microwave and cook
on full power until it's at a full boil. Quickly add the pasta and
cook on full power until done, stirring every 3 to 5 minutes so it
doesn't stick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ken Knecht wrote:
> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
> microwave? How long?
>
> TIA

Read the directions on the package.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
> microwave?
> How long?
>
> TIA

Why do you want to use the MW instead of a pot of water?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
> > microwave? How long?
> >
> > TIA

> Read the directions on the package.

What brand of pasta do you use... no brand of pasta I've ever seen
gives microwave directions on the package.

Lemme check to be certain...

Right now I have Ronzoni, Barrila, Buitonni, Creamettes, and five
different store brands, not to mention three different brands of egg
noodles... none say anything other than the traditional pot of boiling
water on the stovetop method.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> jmcquown wrote:
>> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> > How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
>> > microwave? How long?
>> >
>> > TIA

>> Read the directions on the package.

> What brand of pasta do you use... no brand of pasta I've ever seen
> gives microwave directions on the package.
>
> Lemme check to be certain...
>
> Right now I have Ronzoni, Barrila, Buitonni, Creamettes, and five
> different store brands, not to mention three different brands of egg
> noodles... none say anything other than the traditional pot of boiling
> water on the stovetop method.
>
> Sheldon

Perhaps he wanted the OP to look at the packages and see what WASN'T there.
This is a common teaching method for dealing with teenagers, and probably
works on older people, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the

microwave?
> How long?

If you have to use the microwave to cook pasta, consider this even simpler
path to a pasta dinner:

peel back the corner of the frozen pasta dinner box,
"nuke it" per box instructions, stirring at interval requested
mix sauce and pasta well and serve.

(This approach removes the middleman, i.e., "nuke and eat", instead of "nuke
pasta and nuke sauce and mix together and eat".)

That and a mug of fortified Thunderbird........

> TIA
>

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> > How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
> > microwave?
> > How long?
> >
> > TIA

> Why do you want to use the MW instead of a pot of water?

For small quantities it's much faster (half the time), uses less
energy, and doesn't steam/heat up your kitchen (doesn't necessitate
boiling a large quantity of water)... especially advantageous during
hot weather.

I often cook pasta in the microwave when all I want is one serving.

Place pasta into a shallow microwaveable casserole dish, barely cover
pasta with water, cover dish with plastic wrap leaving one corner
peeled back, and nuke at full power... once water comes to the boil
continue cooking about 6-8 minutes... check for doneness, drain and
serve. Naturally times vary with wattage and quantity cooked but
typically pasta is fully cooked in less time than it would take to just
bring a couple three quarts of water to the boil conventionally.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote in message
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> Read the directions on the package.

> > What brand of pasta do you use... no brand of pasta I've ever seen
> > gives microwave directions on the package.
> >
> > Lemme check to be certain...
> >
> > Right now I have Ronzoni, Barrila, Buitonni, Creamettes, and five
> > different store brands, not to mention three different brands of egg
> > noodles... none say anything other than the traditional pot of boiling
> > water on the stovetop method.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Perhaps he wanted the OP to look at the packages and see what

Perhaps you need to look at the package and see that Jill is a *she*!
LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:

>> > What brand of pasta do you use... no brand of pasta I've ever seen
>> > gives microwave directions on the package.
>> >
>> > Lemme check to be certain...
>> >
>> > Right now I have Ronzoni, Barrila, Buitonni, Creamettes, and five
>> > different store brands, not to mention three different brands of egg
>> > noodles... none say anything other than the traditional pot of boiling
>> > water on the stovetop method.
>> >
>> > Sheldon
>> >

>> Perhaps he wanted the OP to look at the packages and see what

> Perhaps you need to look at the package and see that Jill is a *she*!
> LOL
>
> Sheldon

Not relevant to the point you were making.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Depends on the wattage of your unit... read the user manual

I can't believe even *you* let yourself slide on this one, Sheldon. LOL

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> > How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
> > microwave?
> > How long?

I'm assuming that you are asking about dried noodles. It's exactly the
same as cooking on top of the stove. Heat the water to boiling, add the
noodles, and cook according to package directions.

> Why do you want to use the MW instead of a pot of water?

My wife and I took a MW cooking class about 30 years ago. The
instructor knew people who cooked pasta in the MW. She sort of implied
that it was borderline spousal abuse, in that the folks who insisted on
this didn't do the cooking in the family. They claimed that it saved
energy, though. We made lasagna in the class. We cooked the noodles on
top of the stove, even though the instructor made a big point about how
you could do almost everything in the MW, even though it was seldom the
best tool.

Of course, pasta that is already cooked, especially if it has sauce on
it already, is most easily warmed in the MW.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>> > How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
>> > microwave?
>> > How long?

> I'm assuming that you are asking about dried noodles. It's exactly the
> same as cooking on top of the stove. Heat the water to boiling, add the
> noodles, and cook according to package directions.
>

>> Why do you want to use the MW instead of a pot of water?

> My wife and I took a MW cooking class about 30 years ago. The
> instructor knew people who cooked pasta in the MW. She sort of implied
> that it was borderline spousal abuse, in that the folks who insisted on
> this didn't do the cooking in the family. They claimed that it saved
> energy, though. We made lasagna in the class. We cooked the noodles on
> top of the stove, even though the instructor made a big point about how
> you could do almost everything in the MW, even though it was seldom the
> best tool.
>
> Of course, pasta that is already cooked, especially if it has sauce on
> it already, is most easily warmed in the MW.

I sort of wonder about blasting that much steam into the innards of
something like a MW oven. Just a thought.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:

> I sort of wonder about blasting that much steam into the innards of
> something like a MW oven. Just a thought.....

Huh? Most foods are composed mostly of water. Microwave ovens are
designed to deal with moisture, even have an exhaust fan,... copious
water vapor is emitted from most everything heated in a microwave oven.
I never once saw in a microwave oven manual a warning not to heat
liquids... okay, no more reheating coffee guys... funtime is all over.
LOL

Sheldon Zap

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>> I sort of wonder about blasting that much steam into the innards of
>> something like a MW oven. Just a thought.....

> Huh? Most foods are composed mostly of water. Microwave ovens are
> designed to deal with moisture, even have an exhaust fan,... copious
> water vapor is emitted from most everything heated in a microwave oven.
> I never once saw in a microwave oven manual a warning not to heat
> liquids... okay, no more reheating coffee guys... funtime is all over.
> LOL
>
> Sheldon Zap

Yeah...I guess. And, you roast the plastic wrap anyway, even though you
really shouldn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Ken Knecht wrote:
>>> How do you cook elbow mac, spaghetti, broad noodles, etc. in the
>>> microwave? How long?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> Read the directions on the package.

> What brand of pasta do you use... no brand of pasta I've ever seen
> gives microwave directions on the package.
>
> Lemme check to be certain...
>
> Right now I have Ronzoni, Barrila, Buitonni, Creamettes, and five
> different store brands, not to mention three different brands of egg
> noodles... none say anything other than the traditional pot of boiling
> water on the stovetop method.
>
> Sheldon

Huh... well that's odd. Put a large microwave safe pot (one with a lid) in
the m/w and add one cup (8 oz. dry) pasta to 4 cups water. Bring it to
bubbling, on HIGH about 5-6 minutes. Cover and let it sit about 10 minutes.
Salt is not necessary nor is butter, but either/or may be added prior to
cooking. Stir well, drain off excess water.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Doug Kanter wrote:
> >>
> >> I sort of wonder about blasting that much steam into the innards of
> >> something like a MW oven. Just a thought.....

> > Huh? Most foods are composed mostly of water. Microwave ovens are
> > designed to deal with moisture, even have an exhaust fan,... copious
> > water vapor is emitted from most everything heated in a microwave oven.
> > I never once saw in a microwave oven manual a warning not to heat
> > liquids... okay, no more reheating coffee guys... funtime is all over.
> > LOL
> >
> > Sheldon Zap
> >

> Yeah...I guess. And, you roast the plastic wrap anyway, even though you
> really shouldn't.

Roast? Don't you mean heat, to temps no higher than that at which
water boils.

Most every food these days is packaged in plastic, all metal cans are
plastic lined, with most having the food cooked inside the can, even
beer... now wines and booze is packaged in plastic... just about every
beverage, juice, milk, even water. If not for plastic we'd literally
starve.

One good reason why not to heat food in food grade plastic wrap that is
specifically marked "Microwaveable", even lists "Microwave Tips" on
the box (Reynolds, Glad, Saran, store brands)?

Sheldon Zap

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Huh? Most foods are composed mostly of water. Microwave ovens are
>> > designed to deal with moisture, even have an exhaust fan,... copious
>> > water vapor is emitted from most everything heated in a microwave oven.
>> > I never once saw in a microwave oven manual a warning not to heat
>> > liquids... okay, no more reheating coffee guys... funtime is all over.
>> > LOL
>> >
>> > Sheldon Zap
>> >

>> Yeah...I guess. And, you roast the plastic wrap anyway, even though you
>> really shouldn't.

> Roast? Don't you mean heat, to temps no higher than that at which
> water boils.
>
> Most every food these days is packaged in plastic, all metal cans are
> plastic lined, with most having the food cooked inside the can, even
> beer... now wines and booze is packaged in plastic... just about every
> beverage, juice, milk, even water. If not for plastic we'd literally
> starve.
>
> One good reason why not to heat food in food grade plastic wrap that is
> specifically marked "Microwaveable", even lists "Microwave Tips" on
> the box (Reynolds, Glad, Saran, store brands)?
>
> Sheldon Zap

I'm a skeptic. Plastic wrap smells when it's NOT heated. Worse when heated.
Oh well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Doug Kanter wrote:
> >> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

> >> Yeah...I guess. And, you roast the plastic wrap anyway, even though you
> >> really shouldn't.

> > Roast? Don't you mean heat, to temps no higher than that at which
> > water boils.
> >
> > Most every food these days is packaged in plastic, all metal cans are
> > plastic lined, with most having the food cooked inside the can, even
> > beer... now wines and booze is packaged in plastic... just about every
> > beverage, juice, milk, even water. If not for plastic we'd literally
> > starve.
> >
> > One good reason why not to heat food in food grade plastic wrap that is
> > specifically marked "Microwaveable", even lists "Microwave Tips" on
> > the box (Reynolds, Glad, Saran, store brands)?
> >
> > Sheldon Zap
> >

> I'm a skeptic. Plastic wrap smells when it's NOT heated. Worse when heated.
> Oh well.

If your food smells from the plastic wrap there is something wrong with
how you cook... my ex used to cook like you... she over cooked and/ or
burned everything too. I'm only gonna tell you once, you can't be on
the phone and cook. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> I'm a skeptic. Plastic wrap smells when it's NOT heated. Worse when
>> heated.
>> Oh well.

> If your food smells from the plastic wrap there is something wrong with
> how you cook... my ex used to cook like you... she over cooked and/ or
> burned everything too. I'm only gonna tell you once, you can't be on
> the phone and cook. LOL
>
> Sheldon

I only cooked with plastic wrap once. There are better ways.

Now: I cook with too much heat??? Here's what you said earlier, Sheldon:

"Place pasta into a shallow microwaveable casserole dish, barely cover
pasta with water, cover dish with plastic wrap leaving one corner
peeled back, and nuke at full power... once water comes to the boil
continue cooking about 6-8 minutes... "

Who cooks with too much heat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

> >> I'm a skeptic. Plastic wrap smells when it's NOT heated. Worse when
> >> heated.
> >> Oh well.

> > If your food smells from the plastic wrap there is something wrong with
> > how you cook... my ex used to cook like you... she over cooked and/ or
> > burned everything too. I'm only gonna tell you once, you can't be on
> > the phone and cook. LOL
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> I only cooked with plastic wrap once. There are better ways.
>
> Now: I cook with too much heat??? Here's what you said earlier, Sheldon:
>
> "Place pasta into a shallow microwaveable casserole dish, barely cover
> pasta with water, cover dish with plastic wrap leaving one corner
> peeled back, and nuke at full power... once water comes to the boil
> continue cooking about 6-8 minutes... "
>
> Who cooks with too much heat?

Um, it's kinda difficult to burn water.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Doug Kanter wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> > > If your food smells from the plastic wrap there is something wrong with
> > > how you cook... my ex used to cook like you... she over cooked and/ or
> > > burned everything too. I'm only gonna tell you once, you can't be on
> > > the phone and cook. LOL
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > I only cooked with plastic wrap once. There are better ways.
> >
> > Now: I cook with too much heat??? Here's what you said earlier, Sheldon:
> >
> > "Place pasta into a shallow microwaveable casserole dish, barely cover
> > pasta with water, cover dish with plastic wrap leaving one corner
> > peeled back, and nuke at full power... once water comes to the boil
> > continue cooking about 6-8 minutes... "
> >
> > Who cooks with too much heat?

> Um, it's kinda difficult to burn water.
>
> Sheldon

Some people can...... ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > If your food smells from the plastic wrap there is something wrong with
>> > how you cook... my ex used to cook like you... she over cooked and/ or
>> > burned everything too. I'm only gonna tell you once, you can't be on
>> > the phone and cook. LOL
>> >
>> > Sheldon
>> >

>> I only cooked with plastic wrap once. There are better ways.
>>
>> Now: I cook with too much heat??? Here's what you said earlier, Sheldon:
>>
>> "Place pasta into a shallow microwaveable casserole dish, barely cover
>> pasta with water, cover dish with plastic wrap leaving one corner
>> peeled back, and nuke at full power... once water comes to the boil
>> continue cooking about 6-8 minutes... "
>>
>> Who cooks with too much heat?

> Um, it's kinda difficult to burn water.
>
> Sheldon

Who said anything about burning water? I said plastic wrap smells when it's
at room temperature, and worse when it's heated. Roll up a ball of it in
your hand and squeeze it for a minute. More smell. That stuff has no
business being used for cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Um, it's kinda difficult to burn water.

I've done it. It's kind of fun, but not exactly safe. There are
certain kinds of fires where water just makes it worse. These are not
the firefighter's friends.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> > Um, it's kinda difficult to burn water.

> I've done it. It's kind of fun, but not exactly safe. There are
> certain kinds of fires where water just makes it worse. These are not
> the firefighter's friends.

Yeah, well... but still can't burn water, unfortunately not yet... but
we're working on it.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Knecht

Seemed simpler. But from what I'm reading here, evidently not. Also,
electricity is a lot cheaper than propane.

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in news:96Obf.12272
:

> Why do you want to use the MW instead of a pot of water?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Seemed simpler. But from what I'm reading here, evidently not. Also,
> electricity is a lot cheaper than propane.

I work backwards with some of these techniques. I won't cook with plastic
wrap. Sheldon, who knows everything, seems to say the pasta dish has to be
almost sealed with plastic wrap. End of that technique, at least for me.

Put a lid on your pot. It'll boil faster, and save energy.

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in news:96Obf.12272
> :
>
>> Why do you want to use the MW instead of a pot of water?
>>

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Budd Tugley

>Read the directions on the package.

I suggest you do! WTF brand of pasta do you use that has "microwave
cooking directions." LOL! ??????????

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Budd Tugley" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> >Read the directions on the package.

> I suggest you do! WTF brand of pasta do you use that has "microwave
> cooking directions." LOL! ??????????

I think the point was that he would find no instructions, thereby answering
his question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Budd Tugley

>For small quantities it's much faster (half the time),

Bullshit. Even for YOU.

> uses less
>energy,

Uses MORE.

>and doesn't steam/heat up your kitchen

You're insane. The inside of a micro steams and heats up and you have
to spend TIME sopping up the wetness. Something you haven't done in 30
years. HEH

Tips for cooking rice in microwave shagufta General Cooking 20 25-09-2007 02:49 AM
Microwave Pasta Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 26-10-2006 05:03 PM
Microwave Pasta Daniel W. Rouse Jr. General Cooking 0 26-10-2006 12:28 PM
Microwave Pasta Kswck General Cooking 0 25-10-2006 07:36 PM
Microwave Pasta George General Cooking 0 25-10-2006 03:52 PM