Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carol Damsel Peterson

Default Banana - Nilla Vanilla Wafer Stuff

Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
how it should look.

Anyone have a recipe?

Thanks,
Carol and Crash

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:

> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

Banana Pudding? The recipe (cloyingly sweet, if you ask me?) is right
there ont he box of 'nilla wafers.
Basically just vanilla pudding, sliced bananas and Nilla Wafers layered
in a dish and let to chill a bit.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:
> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?

Probably tons on the net, found this exceptionally grotesque one... sub
nilla wafer crumb crust for the grahams.

BANANA PUDDING PIE

7 ripe bananas, sliced
2 cups whole milk
1 5 oz. pkg. French vanilla pudding mix (instant)
1 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon banana flavored liquor or extract
1 14 oz. can condensed milk (sweetened)
1 12 oz. tub Cool Whip, thawed
1 graham cracker crust

Mix the pudding mix with the milk in a blender or with an electric
mixer. Use the type of instant pudding mix which doesn't require
cooking.
In a separate bowl, blend condensed milk with the cream cheese until
smooth, then fold in the Cool Whip.

Combine cream cheese mixture and pudding mixture, and stir in the
liquor or banana extract, combining well.

Slice the bananas and layer over the bottom of the pie crust. Spread
mixture over bananas.

Refrigerate until serving time. Garnish with chocolate curls or
additional Cool Whip and banana slices.
---

Yoose will probably wanna make two, one each.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Carol Damsel Peterson" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

Does this look right? I don't remember it being chocolate
from the picture on the box.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=56292

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On 29 Oct 2005 13:43:17 -0700, "Carol Damsel Peterson"
> wrote:

>Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
>this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
>how it should look.

Banana pudding! It's lovely stuff.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=55431

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Carol Damsel Peterson" > wrote:

> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

Look for Banana Pudding on the Nabisco site. I haven't. I'll bet it's
there.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Carol Damsel Peterson" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

I've got it somewhere, Carol. It's been decades since I made it -- I've
just got to remember where the darn thing is. Hold on.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carol Damsel Peterson

Sheldon wrote:

> Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:
> > Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> > this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> > how it should look.
> >
> > Anyone have a recipe?

> Probably tons on the net, found this exceptionally grotesque one... sub
> nilla wafer crumb crust for the grahams.

<snip hideously grotesque recipe>

> Yoose will probably wanna make two, one each.

Three. I'll mail the third one to you.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carol Damsel Peterson

Nancy Young wrote:

> Does this look right? I don't remember it being chocolate
> from the picture on the box.
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=56292

I'm positive that no chocolate molecules were injured in the making of
this dessert.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carol Damsel Peterson

Tara wrote:

> Banana pudding! It's lovely stuff.
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=55431

We have a winnah! Give that fine young lady a Kewpie Doll!

Thanks!
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:
> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

Banana Pudding
1 large pkg instant vanilla pudding, (6 ounces)
1-1/2 cups cold milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk, (14 ounces)
1 container whipped topping (16 ounces)
sliced bananas
vanilla wafer cookies

Mix pudding and milk; add condensed milk. Blend well; fold in half the
whipped topping. Alternate layers of pudding, bananas and vanilla wafers;
top with remaining whipped topping and a few banana slices. Refrigerate
overnight before serving.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Carol Damsel Peterson" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Tara wrote:
>>
>> Banana pudding! It's lovely stuff.
>>
>> http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=55431

> We have a winnah! Give that fine young lady a Kewpie Doll!

Darn! How come I didn't find it on the Kraft site ... glad you
got your recipe. I didn't think it was chocolate.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On 29 Oct 2005 13:43:17 -0700, "Carol Damsel Peterson"
> wrote:

>Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
>this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
>how it should look.
>
>Anyone have a recipe?
>
>Thanks,
>Carol and Crash

Here is the old fashioned recipe for banana pudding from the vanilla
wafer box.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Pudding

Recipe By :Vanilla Wafer Box
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Desserts

2 cups milk -- scalded
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs -- separated
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 medium banana -- sliced
2 tablespoons sugar -- * see note

Scald milk in double boiler.

Thoroughly blend sugar, salt and flour. Add gradually to milk.,
stirring until mixture thickens.

Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then mix with egg yolks,
stirring rapidly. Return to double boiler, stir and cook 2 minutes
longer. Add lemon juice and allow custard to cool.

Line dish with vanilla wafers. Slice 3 medium bananas and put into
dish. Pour custard over bananas. Beat egg whites until stiff -- add
2 tablespoons sugar. Cover custard and bake at 300-325°F for 15 to 20
minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 201 Calories; 4g Fat (15.4%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
61mg Cholesterol; 115mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This is used for meringue

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Carol Damsel Peterson" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

Sorry, I can't think where it might be. I would bet if anyone had any of
the Mr. Food books that he would have the recipe. Jill's recipe looks
pretty much as I vaguely remember it. Mine made an enormous amount - a 9x13
pan full. Vanilla wafers on the bottom, a layer of pudding, a layer of
bananas, more pudding and topped with whipped cream or whipped topping.
Church social kind of thingy.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Sheldon wrote:

> BANANA PUDDING PIE
>
> 7 ripe bananas, sliced
> 2 cups whole milk
> 1 5 oz. pkg. French vanilla pudding mix (instant)
> 1 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
> 1 tablespoon banana flavored liquor or extract
> 1 14 oz. can condensed milk (sweetened)
> 1 12 oz. tub Cool Whip, thawed
> 1 graham cracker crust

(directions snipped)
> Yoose will probably wanna make two, one each.
>
> Sheldon

It makes my teeth hurt just reading the ingredients.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 02:20:29p, Tara wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 29 Oct 2005 13:43:17 -0700, "Carol Damsel Peterson"
> > wrote:
>
>>Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
>>this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
>>how it should look.

> Banana pudding! It's lovely stuff.
>
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...recipe_display
> &Rpage=2&u1=keyword&u2=banana%20pudding&u3=**29*45 &wf=9&recipe_id=55431
>
> Tara

That's a pretty decent recipe for it. When they start making things with
instant pudding and CoolWhip, it just turns my stomach.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 02:43:21p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:
>> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
>> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
>> how it should look.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Carol and Crash

> Banana Pudding
> 1 large pkg instant vanilla pudding, (6 ounces)
> 1-1/2 cups cold milk
> 1 can sweetened condensed milk, (14 ounces)
> 1 container whipped topping (16 ounces)
> sliced bananas
> vanilla wafer cookies
>
> Mix pudding and milk; add condensed milk. Blend well; fold in half the
> whipped topping. Alternate layers of pudding, bananas and vanilla

wafers;
> top with remaining whipped topping and a few banana slices. Refrigerate
> overnight before serving.
>
> Jill

Oh, Jill, how could you? Instant pudding and whipped topping? Oh, hell, I
forgot. You don't eat desserts. You coldn't know how awful this would be.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 09:43:15p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Jen" > wrote in message
>>

>>> That's a pretty decent recipe for it. When they start making things
>>> with instant pudding and CoolWhip, it just turns my stomach.

>> I found recipes with the instant pudding and coolwhip, so I tried it,
>> and I have quite a sweet tooth, but even I found it was too much. This
>> one does sound much better. I'll try this one soon.

> Does anyone know a substitute for the "Nilla wafers'?? I don't think we
> get them here.
>
> Jen

I have occasionally made banana pudding using gingersnaps. It's a bit
spicier, but still very nice. I think digestive biscuits might not be
flavorful enough. Vanilla wafers have a fairly strong vanilla flavor,
albeit, most is artificial flavoring.

Years ago, Nabisco's wafers were call "Vanilla Wafers". Now they are
called " 'Nilla Wafers". It think it was a truth in advertising thing,
since they were using artificial vanilla flavoring.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

> That's a pretty decent recipe for it. When they start making things with
> instant pudding and CoolWhip, it just turns my stomach.

I found recipes with the instant pudding and coolwhip, so I tried it, and I
have quite a sweet tooth, but even I found it was too much. This one does
sound much better. I'll try this one soon.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Jen" > wrote in message

>> That's a pretty decent recipe for it. When they start making things with
>> instant pudding and CoolWhip, it just turns my stomach.

> I found recipes with the instant pudding and coolwhip, so I tried it, and
> I have quite a sweet tooth, but even I found it was too much. This one
> does sound much better. I'll try this one soon.

Does anyone know a substitute for the "Nilla wafers'?? I don't think we get
them here.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 29 Oct 2005 02:43:21p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:
>>> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely
>>> recall this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called
>>> or even how it should look.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Carol and Crash

>> Banana Pudding
>> 1 large pkg instant vanilla pudding, (6 ounces)
>> 1-1/2 cups cold milk
>> 1 can sweetened condensed milk, (14 ounces)
>> 1 container whipped topping (16 ounces)
>> sliced bananas
>> vanilla wafer cookies
>>
>> Mix pudding and milk; add condensed milk. Blend well; fold in half
>> the whipped topping. Alternate layers of pudding, bananas and
>> vanilla wafers; top with remaining whipped topping and a few banana
>> slices. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
>>
>> Jill

> Oh, Jill, how could you? Instant pudding and whipped topping? Oh,
> hell, I forgot. You don't eat desserts. You coldn't know how awful
> this would be. :-)

Oh, Wayne, I couldn't! My former MIL made this stuff. Maybe that's what
about it makes me shudder. I eat dessert on rare occasions... I actually
like Jell-O

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Carol Damsel Peterson wrote:
> Crash is looking for a recipe for whatever this is. I vaguely recall
> this combination of foods, but have no clue what it's called or even
> how it should look.
>
> Anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol and Crash

It's on the box of the Nilla Wafers. Use corn starch to thicken
instead of flour though, or it will be too gummy.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ms. tonya

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31311,00.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 06:42:36a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sat 29 Oct 2005 02:20:29p, Tara wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On 29 Oct 2005 13:43:17 -0700, "Carol Damsel Peterson"

>>> Banana pudding! It's lovely stuff.
>>>
>>> http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...et_recipe_disp
>>> lay
>>> &Rpage=2&u1=keyword&u2=banana%20pudding&u3=**29*45 &wf=9&recipe_id=5543
>>> 1
>>>
>>> Tara

>> That's a pretty decent recipe for it. When they start making things
>> with instant pudding and CoolWhip, it just turns my stomach.
>>

> Now, now... CoolWhip has it's place in my kitchen just as Velveeta does.
> Have you tried the fat free CoolWhip BTW? It's pretty good. I do
> start getting the heebie jeebies when a recipe calls for CoolWhip and
> jello cubes though <<shudder>>. Reminds me of hospital food.
>
> Michael

I have bought and used CoolWhip now and again, especially when real whipped
cream wasn't possible or convenient. I begin to shudder when I see it has
become an ingredient in a recipe, especially one with instant pudding! :-)

I can't stand Velveeta! :-) Not being a snob about it. I just don't like
either the texture or flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

>> Does anyone know a substitute for the "Nilla wafers'?? I don't think we
>> get them here.
>>
>> Jen

> I have occasionally made banana pudding using gingersnaps. It's a bit
> spicier, but still very nice. I think digestive biscuits might not be
> flavorful enough. Vanilla wafers have a fairly strong vanilla flavor,
> albeit, most is artificial flavoring.
>
> Years ago, Nabisco's wafers were call "Vanilla Wafers". Now they are
> called " 'Nilla Wafers". It think it was a truth in advertising thing,
> since they were using artificial vanilla flavoring.

So it's just a vanilla flavoured cookie?? Wafers here are usually a 'very'
thin, light type of cookie, very different from a normal one.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 04:39:28p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Does anyone know a substitute for the "Nilla wafers'?? I don't think
>>> we get them here.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> I have occasionally made banana pudding using gingersnaps. It's a bit
>> spicier, but still very nice. I think digestive biscuits might not be
>> flavorful enough. Vanilla wafers have a fairly strong vanilla flavor,
>> albeit, most is artificial flavoring.
>>
>> Years ago, Nabisco's wafers were call "Vanilla Wafers". Now they are
>> called " 'Nilla Wafers". It think it was a truth in advertising thing,
>> since they were using artificial vanilla flavoring.

> So it's just a vanilla flavoured cookie?? Wafers here are usually a
> 'very' thin, light type of cookie, very different from a normal one.
>
> Jen

Yes, not a wafer like you know them. Here's a picture that might help.

http://tinyurl.com/8np8h

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

>> So it's just a vanilla flavoured cookie?? Wafers here are usually a
>> 'very' thin, light type of cookie, very different from a normal one.
>>
>> Jen

> Yes, not a wafer like you know them. Here's a picture that might help.

That looks like shortbread to me. I'll just use whatever I find that's
vanilla flavoured. Thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 05:15:03p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> So it's just a vanilla flavoured cookie?? Wafers here are usually a
>>> 'very' thin, light type of cookie, very different from a normal one.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> Yes, not a wafer like you know them. Here's a picture that might help.

> That looks like shortbread to me. I'll just use whatever I find that's
> vanilla flavoured. Thanks.
>
> Jen

No, not like shortbread. These are not rich cookies like shortbread.
They're quite crisp, dry, and fairly light textured, but thicker than your
wafers. I suspect that a digestive biscuit might make a fair substitute.

The vanilla wafers will soften completely in the pudding.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, not a wafer like you know them. Here's a picture that might help.

>> That looks like shortbread to me. I'll just use whatever I find that's
>> vanilla flavoured. Thanks.
>>
>> Jen

> No, not like shortbread. These are not rich cookies like shortbread.
> They're quite crisp, dry, and fairly light textured, but thicker than your
> wafers. I suspect that a digestive biscuit might make a fair substitute.
>
> The vanilla wafers will soften completely in the pudding.

Here's another question, sorry! What are digestive biscuits??

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 05:36:37p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

help.

>>> That looks like shortbread to me. I'll just use whatever I find that's
>>> vanilla flavoured. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> No, not like shortbread. These are not rich cookies like shortbread.
>> They're quite crisp, dry, and fairly light textured, but thicker than

your
>> wafers. I suspect that a digestive biscuit might make a fair

substitute.

>> The vanilla wafers will soften completely in the pudding.

> Here's another question, sorry! What are digestive biscuits??
>
> Jen

Oops, my bad. :-) That's a UK "cookie" or "biscuit". Are you in Austria?

Here is a recipe for a pretty good vanilla wafer. I'm thinking it might be
best if you baked you own. I can't think of anything else to substitute.

Let me know what you think...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

>> Here's another question, sorry! What are digestive biscuits??
>>
>> Jen

> Oops, my bad. :-) That's a UK "cookie" or "biscuit". Are you in Austria?
>
> Here is a recipe for a pretty good vanilla wafer. I'm thinking it might
> be
> best if you baked you own. I can't think of anything else to substitute.

I'm from Australia. Sorry I sound so stupid. I suppose different countries
have different things. I guess I'll try making my own then, and then at
least then I'll have a good idea of what I need and I might be able to match
it up with something I can buy off the shelf next time.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 10:20:34p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Here's another question, sorry! What are digestive biscuits??
>>>
>>> Jen

>> Oops, my bad. :-) That's a UK "cookie" or "biscuit". Are you in
>> Austria?
>>
>> Here is a recipe for a pretty good vanilla wafer. I'm thinking it
>> might be best if you baked you own. I can't think of anything else to
>> substitute.

> I'm from Australia. Sorry I sound so stupid. I suppose different
> countries have different things. I guess I'll try making my own then,
> and then at least then I'll have a good idea of what I need and I might
> be able to match it up with something I can buy off the shelf next time.
>
> Jen

Nonesense, Jen. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure I
would be clueless about many of the food products you have in Australia.
That's why I suggested making your own. It will probably come closer to our
commercial product.

Did anyone suggest "graham crackers"? I don't know if you have anything
quite like those either, but that could work, although a bit different.

Please post what you end up doing and how it turned out, and ask absolutely
any other question you may have.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

> Nonesense, Jen. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure I
> would be clueless about many of the food products you have in Australia.
> That's why I suggested making your own. It will probably come closer to
> our
> commercial product.
>
> Did anyone suggest "graham crackers"? I don't know if you have anything
> quite like those either, but that could work, although a bit different.
>
> Please post what you end up doing and how it turned out, and ask
> absolutely
> any other question you may have.

Could you post the recipe for the vanilla wafer you have please. Thanks so
much, you're so helpful

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

>>> Oops, my bad. :-) That's a UK "cookie" or "biscuit". Are you in
>>> Austria?
>>>
>>> Here is a recipe for a pretty good vanilla wafer. I'm thinking it
>>> might be best if you baked you own. I can't think of anything else
>>> substitute.

>> I'm from Australia. Sorry I sound so stupid. I suppose different
>> countries have different things. I guess I'll try making my own
>> then,
>> and then at least then I'll have a good idea of what I need and I
>> might
>> be able to match it up with something I can buy off the shelf next
>> time.
>>
>> Jen

> Nonesense, Jen. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure
> would be clueless about many of the food products you have in
> Australia.
> That's why I suggested making your own. It will probably come closer
> to our
> commercial product.
>
> Did anyone suggest "graham crackers"? I don't know if you have
> anything
> quite like those either, but that could work, although a bit
> different.
>
> Please post what you end up doing and how it turned out, and ask
> absolutely
> any other question you may have.

recipe for Jen

http://thefoody.com/baking/digestivebiscuits.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Jen" > wrote in message

>> Nonesense, Jen. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure I
>> would be clueless about many of the food products you have in Australia.
>> That's why I suggested making your own. It will probably come closer to
>> our
>> commercial product.
>>
>> Did anyone suggest "graham crackers"? I don't know if you have anything
>> quite like those either, but that could work, although a bit different.
>>
>> Please post what you end up doing and how it turned out, and ask
>> absolutely
>> any other question you may have.

> Could you post the recipe for the vanilla wafer you have please. Thanks
> so much, you're so helpful

Also, you mentioned Graham Crackers, we don't have them, but I've come
across them quite a bit in US recipes. It seems they're often used as a
crumb base for things, I usually just replace them with what we call "Marie"
biscuits. They're a very plain basic cookie, but they're not vanilla
flavoured. I wonder if they might do in place of these nilla wafers?

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Oct 2005 04:37:42a, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Could you post the recipe for the vanilla wafer you have please. Thanks
> so much, you're so helpful
>
> Jen

Gladly. This is a recipe I once found on Epicurious. It's actually much
tastier than the commercial version, although I've never actually used
these in a banana pudding. They should work well. Be sure to cool the
cookies on a rack, and make sure that they are completely cool before
storing or using. This willl keep them crisp.

Vanilla Wafers

1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat
all ingredients until blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber
spatula. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased
cookie sheets. Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes until edges of cookies are
browned. With spatula, remove cookies to wire racks to cool. Store cookies
in tightly covered container to use up within 1 week.

Makes 4 dozen.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Oct 2005 04:46:12a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I'm from Australia. Sorry I sound so stupid. I suppose different
>>> countries have different things. I guess I'll try making my own
>>> then, and then at least then I'll have a good idea of what I need and
>>> I might be able to match it up with something I can buy off the shelf
>>> next time.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> Nonesense, Jen. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure
>> would be clueless about many of the food products you have in
>> Australia.
>> That's why I suggested making your own. It will probably come closer
>> to our
>> commercial product.
>>
>> Did anyone suggest "graham crackers"? I don't know if you have
>> anything quite like those either, but that could work, although a bit
>> different.
>>
>> Please post what you end up doing and how it turned out, and ask
>> absolutely any other question you may have.

> recipe for Jen
>
> http://thefoody.com/baking/digestivebiscuits.html

Ooh, that sounds so much better than the imported digestive biscuits I can
get here. I used to be able to get McVitie's wholemeal digestive biscuits
here, but apparently they don't import them anymore.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Oct 2005 04:48:58a, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Jen" > wrote in message
>> >
>>> Nonesense, Jen. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure
>>> I would be clueless about many of the food products you have in
>>> Australia. That's why I suggested making your own. It will probably
>>> come closer to our commercial product.
>>>
>>> Did anyone suggest "graham crackers"? I don't know if you have
>>> anything quite like those either, but that could work, although a bit
>>> different.
>>>
>>> Please post what you end up doing and how it turned out, and ask
>>> absolutely any other question you may have.

>> Could you post the recipe for the vanilla wafer you have please.
>> Thanks so much, you're so helpful

> Also, you mentioned Graham Crackers, we don't have them, but I've come
> across them quite a bit in US recipes. It seems they're often used as a
> crumb base for things, I usually just replace them with what we call
> "Marie" biscuits. They're a very plain basic cookie, but they're not
> vanilla flavoured. I wonder if they might do in place of these nilla
> wafers?
>
> Jen

Yes, I think you could. It wouldn't be quite the same, but probably close
enough. The custard part of the banana pudding should be highly vanilla
flavored anyway, and I don't think using the plain biscuit would be a
problem. I have bought Marie bilscuts that are made in Cananda, and they
are probably quite similar to what you can get. The ones I had were a nice
crunchy texture.

As I mentioned, the cookies are to soften up when youmake the pudding. It's
important to assemble the pudding while the custard is still hot. This
insures that the cookies get soft.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*