FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC - Chocolate Chip Bars (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/72134-rec-chocolate-chip-bars.html)

Damsel 15-10-2005 02:06 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

I got this recipe from a classmate when I was in elementary school.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Chip Bars

Recipe By :Damsel
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : bars-squares

1 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts -- optional
1 cup brown sugar
3 egg whites -- beaten

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.

Mix brown sugar and egg whites; pour over top of cookie batter.

Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Margaret Suran 15-10-2005 02:43 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Damsel wrote:
> I got this recipe from a classmate when I was in elementary school.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Chocolate Chip Bars
>
> Recipe By :Damsel
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : bars-squares

> 1 cup vegetable shortening
> 3/4 cup brown sugar
> 3/4 cup granulated sugar
> 3 egg yolks
> 2 tablespoons hot water
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
> 1/2 cup chopped nuts -- optional
> 1 cup brown sugar
> 3 egg whites -- beaten
>
> Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
> Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.
>
> Mix brown sugar and egg whites; pour over top of cookie batter.
>
> Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> -

I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

Carol Peterson 15-10-2005 07:12 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Damsel wrote:
> > Chocolate Chip Bars
> >
> > Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
> > Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.
> >

> I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.

Carol

Melba's Jammin' 18-10-2005 02:52 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

In article . com>,
"Carol Peterson" > wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
> > Damsel wrote:
> > > Chocolate Chip Bars
> > >
> > > Combine all ingredients except 1 cup brown sugar and the egg whites.
> > > Press dough into 9x3-inch baking pan.
> > >

> > I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

> I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
> tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.
>
> Carol

That'd be a breadSTICK pan. <r&d>
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Carol \Damsel\ Peterson 18-10-2005 04:08 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:52:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Carol Peterson" > wrote:
>
> > Margaret Suran wrote:

> > > I believe the dimensions for your baking pan are wrong. Or weird.

> > I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
> > tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.
> >
> > Carol

> That'd be a breadSTICK pan. <r&d>

ROFLMAO! My typos are becoming legendary. There was a fiasco with
the Unbaked Chocolate Drop recipe a few years ago. Cocoa should have
been 1/2 cup, but I posted the recipe with TWO cups!! Uck!

Carol

Margaret Suran 18-10-2005 07:59 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:42:12 GMT, Dog3 > wrote:
>

>>"Carol \"Damsel\" Peterson" > looking for trouble
>>wrote in :
>>

>>>ROFLMAO! My typos are becoming legendary. There was a fiasco with
>>>the Unbaked Chocolate Drop recipe a few years ago. Cocoa should have
>>>been 1/2 cup, but I posted the recipe with TWO cups!! Uck!

>>Well, if you doubled the sugar in the recipe it would be okay, wouldn't it
>><snerk>

> <BLEEP> you, Michael! LOL!
>
> Carol

Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

Carol \Damsel\ Peterson 18-10-2005 08:23 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:59:58 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to stick
Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!

Carol

Mr Libido Incognito 18-10-2005 10:09 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote on 18 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:59:58 -0400, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>
> > Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

> Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to stick
> Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!
>
> Carol

I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Carol \Damsel\ Peterson 19-10-2005 12:15 AM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:09:05 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> wrote:

> Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote on 18 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:59:58 -0400, Margaret Suran
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Hey, Good News!!! Look at the return address. Our Damsel is back!!!!

> > Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to stick
> > Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!
> >
> > Carol
> >

> I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

That would be "da Damsel" <G>

Carol

Mr Libido Incognito 19-10-2005 03:38 AM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote on 18 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:09:05 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> > wrote:
>
> > Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote on 18 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:59:58 -0400, Margaret Suran

> > > Victor, representing the Cabal (TINC) pretty much forced me to
> > > stick Damsel in the middle. He's such a bully!
> > >
> > > Carol
> > >

> > I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

> That would be "da Damsel" <G>
>
> Carol

Or is Carol 'Fists of Fury' Peterson more to your liking?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Carol \Damsel\ Peterson 19-10-2005 06:36 AM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:38:39 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> wrote:

> Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote on 18 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:09:05 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I still like Carol "The Dansel" Peterson better.

> > That would be "da Damsel" <G>

> Or is Carol 'Fists of Fury' Peterson more to your liking?

OMG, no! LOL!

Carol

Jude 19-10-2005 12:45 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Tries making these last night. The bars were a little crumbly (what my
mom would call 'too short') and I wasn't sure if the topping was
supposed to be a stiff meringue. i couldn't get the egg whites to beat
up stiff after all that brown sugar was added, so its a kind of
soft-merengue topping over the bars instead of a crispy one. Is that
how it should have turned out?

Carol \Damsel\ Peterson 19-10-2005 12:59 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

On 19 Oct 2005 04:45:17 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

> Tries making these last night. The bars were a little crumbly (what my
> mom would call 'too short') and I wasn't sure if the topping was
> supposed to be a stiff meringue. i couldn't get the egg whites to beat
> up stiff after all that brown sugar was added, so its a kind of
> soft-merengue topping over the bars instead of a crispy one. Is that
> how it should have turned out?

Hmmmm. I haven't made these in quite some time, so I don't recall the
crumbly part. The dough *should* be the Toll House recipe.

The topping is a glaze, not a meringue. "beating" in this case just
means homogenizing the eggs.

I'll update the directions. This is another of those old recipes (I
got it from a classmate in elementary school) where a lot of the
directions are just a given. I've been trying to update my recipes as
they are discovered to be inadequate. Thanks for letting me know that
this is one of them.

Carol

Jude 19-10-2005 10:25 PM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

Carol "Damsel" Peterson wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2005 04:45:17 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
>
> > Tries making these last night. The bars were a little crumbly (what my
> > mom would call 'too short') and I wasn't sure if the topping was
> > supposed to be a stiff meringue. i couldn't get the egg whites to beat
> > up stiff after all that brown sugar was added, so its a kind of
> > soft-merengue topping over the bars instead of a crispy one. Is that
> > how it should have turned out?

> Hmmmm. I haven't made these in quite some time, so I don't recall the
> crumbly part. The dough *should* be the Toll House recipe.
>
> The topping is a glaze, not a meringue. "beating" in this case just
> means homogenizing the eggs.
>
> I'll update the directions. This is another of those old recipes (I
> got it from a classmate in elementary school) where a lot of the
> directions are just a given. I've been trying to update my recipes as
> they are discovered to be inadequate. Thanks for letting me know that
> this is one of them.
>
> Carol

Thanks.....I don't think the dough was the toll house; the 2 T water
made a big gummy spot and I know my choc-chip cookies don't have any
added water. I figured iut might be to compensate for the missing
moisture from the egg whites.

Never would have thought of the topping as a glaze! As soon as I saw
beaten egg whites, I envisioned a meringue-topped cookie bar. Guess
I'll just have to play around with the recipe and invent my own!!

Syssi 20-10-2005 02:54 AM

REC - Chocolate Chip Bars

"Carol "Damsel" Peterson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:52:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> In article . com>,

>> > I vote for weird. I'll change it immediately, and hope that no one
>> > tries to make this recipe in a bread pan. DUH! Thanks for the catch.
>> >
>> > Carol

>> That'd be a breadSTICK pan. <r&d>

> ROFLMAO! My typos are becoming legendary. There was a fiasco with
> the Unbaked Chocolate Drop recipe a few years ago. Cocoa should have
> been 1/2 cup, but I posted the recipe with TWO cups!! Uck!
>
> Carol

What are you talking about? They turned out amazing - they were supposed to
be Ultra Dark Chocolate Drops, right? LOL

Sorry... couldn't resist.
--
Syssi