Pandora

Default Yesterday

yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but nobody
has expressed any comment.
Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very crispy!
Thank you
Pandora

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 30 Sep 2005 11:54:38p, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
> nobody has expressed any comment.
> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
> crispy! Thank you
> Pandora

I didn't see it, Pandora, but I could have missed it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Pandora

"Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Fri 30 Sep 2005 11:54:38p, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
>> nobody has expressed any comment.
>> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
>> crispy! Thank you
>> Pandora

> I didn't see it, Pandora, but I could have missed it.

I send again the post of 30/10/2005 (10.26 A.M. Italian time). Thanks ,
Wayne.
Cheers
Pandora

This is a very simple dessert. You can make it when you are in a hurry; when
you have some unexpected guests and you don't know how to do for dessert.
The name: Desert's rose comes from the famous stones that you find in the
desert (they have the same shape)! Here is the photos and the recipe.

This is the photo of the real desert's roses:

http://images.google.it/images?q=ros...a+con+Goo gle

and these are the dummy ones I've done:

http://tinypic.com/e63xcj.jpg

and the various phases of preparation:
http://tinypic.com/e63yns.jpg
http://tinypic.com/e63yoj.jpg
http://tinypic.com/e63yoy.jpg

Have a good dessert!
Pandora

DESERT'S ROSE

Category: dessert
Nb persons: 0

100 g chocolate - plain
50 g butter
1 cup (30-35g) cornflakes
1 tbs sugar - icing
1 orange - grated skin

Chop the chocolate. Put it in a pan with the butter and let liquefy cooking
in a bain-marie at low fire. Add icing sugar, the grated orange skin and
mix with a wood spoon. Take away from the fire, add cornflakes and mix
gently. Cover a tray with oven paper; distribute the mixture over it with
a spoon (one spoon and a half =one rose). Put in the fridge for 2-3 hours
before serving on another clean dish.

Nutritional facts (daily value):
Calories 992kcal
Protein 7g (13%)
Total Fat 71g (109%)
Sat. 43g (217%)
Chol. 108mg (36%)
Carb. 102g (34%)
Fiber 10g (38%)
Sugars 80g
Calcium 97mg (10%)
Iron 6mg (31%)

Nutritional facts (daily value):
Calories 948kcal
Protein 6g (12%)
Total Fat 71g (109%)
Sat. 43g (217%)
Chol. 108mg (36%)
Carb. 91g (30%)
Fiber 9g (36%)
Sugars 79g
Calcium 97mg (10%)
Iron 3mg (18%)

----------

Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

Staycalm

I saw it and your recipe is saved for a rainy day!

Thanks
Liz
"Pandora" > wrote in message
> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
> nobody has expressed any comment.
> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very crispy!
> Thank you
> Pandora

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 01 Oct 2005 01:02:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> http://tinypic.com/e63yoj.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/e63yoy.jpg
>
> Have a good dessert!
> Pandora
>
> DESERT'S ROSE
>
> Category: dessert
> Nb persons: 0
>
> 100 g chocolate - plain
> 50 g butter
> 1 cup (30-35g) cornflakes
> 1 tbs sugar - icing
> 1 orange - grated skin
>
> Chop the chocolate. Put it in a pan with the butter and let liquefy
> cooking in a bain-marie at low fire. Add icing sugar, the grated orange
> skin and mix with a wood spoon. Take away from the fire, add cornflakes
> and mix gently. Cover a tray with oven paper; distribute the mixture
> over it with a spoon (one spoon and a half =one rose). Put in the fridge
> for 2-3 hours before serving on another clean dish.

Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty. Very
pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought of
using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
"Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These would
probably be even more crispy.

Only slightly related, there is a very old earthernware pattern made by
Fransciscan called Desert Rose. It's one of my favorite old patterns.

http://tinyurl.com/9ezmf

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 01:02:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty.
> Very
> pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought
> of
> using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
> "Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These would
> probably be even more crispy.

We make these things for children Corn flakes with melted milk
chocolate

Heaped into bun cases and allowed to set

Jen

I know one similar with fried noodles. The orange in it sounds yummy
though.

--
Jen
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
k...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 01:02:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty.
>> Very
>> pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought
>> of
>> using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
>> "Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These
>> would
>> probably be even more crispy.

> We make these things for children Corn flakes with melted milk
> chocolate
>
> Heaped into bun cases and allowed to set

jmcquown

Pandora wrote:
> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
> nobody has expressed any comment.
> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
> crispy! Thank you
> Pandora

I didn't comment because I don't eat dessert so I don't pay attention to
posts about it.

Jill

Ophelia

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
k...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 01:02:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty.
>> Very
>> pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought
>> of
>> using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
>> "Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These
>> would
>> probably be even more crispy.

> We make these things for children Corn flakes with melted milk
> chocolate
>
> Heaped into bun cases and allowed to set

Oooops I ought to have said too that they are very easy to make by children
and so are (or used to be) very popular for children's cooking sessions

Of course they are not as posh as Pandora's

~patches~

Pandora wrote:

> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but nobody
> has expressed any comment.
> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very crispy!
> Thank you
> Pandora

Pandora I'm not familar with desert's rose so I saved the recipe to try.
I make something similar that we call mudpies. They are a favourite
no bake cookie. As soon as I get a chance I will make some and post a
pic with the recipe.

Boron Elgar

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:35:54 -0400, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Pandora wrote:
>
>> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but nobody
>> has expressed any comment.
>> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very crispy!
>> Thank you
>> Pandora
>>

>Pandora I'm not familar with desert's rose so I saved the recipe to try.
> I make something similar that we call mudpies. They are a favourite
>no bake cookie. As soon as I get a chance I will make some and post a
>pic with the recipe.

I make something similar, too...semi-sweet chocolate baking bits, a
quarter cup of Karo syrup and a spoon or two of water. Melt in
microwave & gently mix in 2-3 cups of Rice Chex. Drop by spoonfuls on
waxed paper or foil.

Boron
~patches~

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:35:54 -0400, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>Pandora wrote:
>>

>>>yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but nobody
>>>has expressed any comment.
>>>Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very crispy!
>>>Thank you
>>>Pandora
>>>

>>Pandora I'm not familar with desert's rose so I saved the recipe to try.
>> I make something similar that we call mudpies. They are a favourite
>>no bake cookie. As soon as I get a chance I will make some and post a
>>pic with the recipe.

> I make something similar, too...semi-sweet chocolate baking bits, a
> quarter cup of Karo syrup and a spoon or two of water. Melt in
> microwave & gently mix in 2-3 cups of Rice Chex. Drop by spoonfuls on
> waxed paper or foil.
>
> Boron

Mine's different as it uses cocoa, oatmeal, and coconut. Lets see how
motivated I get today. I haven't made them in awhile and DH wouldn't
mind something sweet in the house besides me
Pandora

"Staycalm" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I saw it and your recipe is saved for a rainy day!
>
> Thanks
> Liz
> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
>> nobody has expressed any comment.
>> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
>> crispy!
>> Thank you
>> Pandora

Oh! thanks!
pan

Pandora

> [...]

>> Nutritional facts (daily value):
>> Calories 948kcal
>> Protein 6g (12%)
>> Total Fat 71g (109%)
>> Sat. 43g (217%)
>> Chol. 108mg (36%)
>> Carb. 91g (30%)
>> Fiber 9g (36%)
>> Sugars 79g
>> Calcium 97mg (10%)
>> Iron 3mg (18%)
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

> Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty.
> Very
> pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought
> of
> using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
> "Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These would

Ohhhh! yes! it would be more crispy! I have never seen "sugar frosted
flakes" in Italy.
But I want to try with white chocolate.

> Only slightly related, there is a very old earthernware pattern made by
> Fransciscan called Desert Rose. It's one of my favorite old patterns.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9ezmf

Very beautiful indeed! And also very expensive!
Pandora

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> _____________________________
>
> http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg
>
> Popie-In-The-Bowl

Pandora

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
k...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 01:02:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty.
>> Very
>> pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought
>> of
>> using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
>> "Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These
>> would
>> probably be even more crispy.

> We make these things for children Corn flakes with melted milk
> chocolate
>
> Heaped into bun cases and allowed to set

Thank you, Ophelia, for the answer. I would like to do it with milk
chocolate. Next time I will try!
Pan

Pandora

"Jen" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I know one similar with fried noodles. The orange in it sounds yummy
>though.

Ohhhh!!!! This sounds very good for me! Fried noodles!!!! GNAM GNAM & YUM
YUM...
Could you please give me your recipe?
TIA
Pandora

Pandora

"jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
> Pandora wrote:
>> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
>> nobody has expressed any comment.
>> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
>> crispy! Thank you
>> Pandora

> I didn't comment because I don't eat dessert so I don't pay attention to
> posts about it.
>
> Jill

Anyway, thank you very much for the answer! I tought there was something
wrong....
Pandora

Pandora

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
k...

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> k...
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 01:02:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>>
>>> Hmmm... Interesting and certainly simple enough, and I'm sure tasty.
>>> Very
>>> pretty, too. It's chocolate, after all! :-) I would never have thought
>>> of
>>> using cornflakes in a dessert, but what do I know. In the US we have
>>> "Sugar Frosted Flakes" which is cornflakes coated with sugar. These
>>> would
>>> probably be even more crispy.

>> We make these things for children Corn flakes with melted milk
>> chocolate
>>
>> Heaped into bun cases and allowed to set

> Oooops I ought to have said too that they are very easy to make by
> children and so are (or used to be) very popular for children's cooking
> sessions
>
> Of course they are not as posh as Pandora's

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! Ophelia! Now you exaggerates )))
Pan

Ophelia

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> k...
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> k...

>>> We make these things for children Corn flakes with melted milk
>>> chocolate
>>>
>>> Heaped into bun cases and allowed to set

>> Oooops I ought to have said too that they are very easy to make by
>> children and so are (or used to be) very popular for children's cooking
>> sessions
>>
>> Of course they are not as posh as Pandora's

> Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! Ophelia! Now you exaggerates )))

Not at all dear girl)

Pandora

"~patches~" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
>> nobody has expressed any comment.
>> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
>> crispy!
>> Thank you
>> Pandora

> Pandora I'm not familar with desert's rose so I saved the recipe to try. I
> make something similar that we call mudpies. They are a favourite no bake
> cookie. As soon as I get a chance I will make some and post a pic with
> the recipe.

You make me very happy if you will do! thank you Pat!
Pan

Pandora

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:35:54 -0400, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>> yesterday I've sent the recipe and the photos of "desert's rose", but
>>> nobody
>>> has expressed any comment.
>>> Does anyone know this dessert? I like it very much because is very
>>> crispy!
>>> Thank you
>>> Pandora
>>>

>>Pandora I'm not familar with desert's rose so I saved the recipe to try.
>> I make something similar that we call mudpies. They are a favourite
>>no bake cookie. As soon as I get a chance I will make some and post a
>>pic with the recipe.

> I make something similar, too...semi-sweet chocolate baking bits, a
> quarter cup of Karo syrup and a spoon or two of water. Melt in
> microwave & gently mix in 2-3 cups of Rice Chex. Drop by spoonfuls on
> waxed paper or foil.
>
> Boron

I think I would like to try also this recipe. i like very much rice!
Only 2 questions:
1) What is Karo syrup?
2) what is Rice Chex?
Thank you
Pandora

Pandora

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. uk...

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> k...
>>>
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> k...

>>> Oooops I ought to have said too that they are very easy to make by
>>> children and so are (or used to be) very popular for children's cooking
>>> sessions
>>>
>>> Of course they are not as posh as Pandora's

>> Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! Ophelia! Now you exaggerates )))

> Not at all dear girl)

You make me feel so young....I love you!
Pan

Kathy in NZ

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:02:47 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

> DESERT'S ROSE
>
>Category: dessert
>Nb persons: 0
>
> 100 g chocolate - plain
> 50 g butter
> 1 cup (30-35g) cornflakes
> 1 tbs sugar - icing
> 1 orange - grated skin
>
>Chop the chocolate. Put it in a pan with the butter and let liquefy cooking
>in a bain-marie at low fire. Add icing sugar, the grated orange skin and
>mix with a wood spoon. Take away from the fire, add cornflakes and mix
>gently. Cover a tray with oven paper; distribute the mixture over it with
>a spoon (one spoon and a half =one rose). Put in the fridge for 2-3 hours
>before serving on another clean dish.

In New Zealand we make something similar called Chocolate Crackles.
It's a favourite at kids parties.

CHOCOLATE CRACKLES

250g kremelta (vegetable shortening)
4 cups rice bubbles
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
1 cup coconut*

Put dry ingredients in a large bowl
Melt kremelta and pour into bowl
Mix well
Spoon into patty pans (paper cases about the size of mini muffins)
Makes 24
Set in fridge

*Note: I never use coconut when making these, and neither did my
mother. Without it, you just get more chocolate flavour.

Kathy

Pandora

"Kathy in NZ" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:02:47 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>> DESERT'S ROSE
>>
>>Category: dessert
>>Nb persons: 0
>>
>> 100 g chocolate - plain
>> 50 g butter
>> 1 cup (30-35g) cornflakes
>> 1 tbs sugar - icing
>> 1 orange - grated skin
>>
>>Chop the chocolate. Put it in a pan with the butter and let liquefy
>>cooking
>>in a bain-marie at low fire. Add icing sugar, the grated orange skin and
>>mix with a wood spoon. Take away from the fire, add cornflakes and mix
>>gently. Cover a tray with oven paper; distribute the mixture over it
>>with
>>a spoon (one spoon and a half =one rose). Put in the fridge for 2-3 hours
>>before serving on another clean dish.
>>

> In New Zealand we make something similar called Chocolate Crackles.
> It's a favourite at kids parties.
>
> CHOCOLATE CRACKLES
>
> 250g kremelta (vegetable shortening)
> 4 cups rice bubbles
> 1 cup icing sugar
> 1 tbsp cocoa
> 1 cup coconut*
>
> Put dry ingredients in a large bowl
> Melt kremelta and pour into bowl
> Mix well
> Spoon into patty pans (paper cases about the size of mini muffins)
> Makes 24
> Set in fridge
>
> *Note: I never use coconut when making these, and neither did my
> mother. Without it, you just get more chocolate flavour.
>
> Kathy

Thank you also to you, Kathy! I love these crispy recipes, and I want to
thanks all the people who gave me other ideas.
Can I replace "Kremelta" with vegetal margarine?
Many Thanks
Pandora

Jen

>> CHOCOLATE CRACKLES
>>
>> 250g kremelta (vegetable shortening)
>> 4 cups rice bubbles
>> 1 cup icing sugar
>> 1 tbsp cocoa
>> 1 cup coconut*
>>
>> Put dry ingredients in a large bowl
>> Melt kremelta and pour into bowl
>> Mix well
>> Spoon into patty pans (paper cases about the size of mini muffins)
>> Makes 24
>> Set in fridge
>>
>> *Note: I never use coconut when making these, and neither did my
>> mother. Without it, you just get more chocolate flavour.
>>
>> Kathy

> Thank you also to you, Kathy! I love these crispy recipes, and I want to
> thanks all the people who gave me other ideas.
> Can I replace "Kremelta" with vegetal margarine?
> Many Thanks
> Pandora

We use something called *Copha* instead, it's a solid white vegetable
shortening.

--
Jen

Kathy in NZ

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:12:37 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>Thank you also to you, Kathy! I love these crispy recipes, and I want to
>thanks all the people who gave me other ideas.
>Can I replace "Kremelta" with vegetal margarine?
>Many Thanks
>Pandora

I don't know Pandora

Kremelta is a white vegetable shortening that is solid, quite hard, so
when the crackels set in the fridge they will be solid (but easy to
bite into). Is vegetal margarine hard? If not, I'd look for something
similar to kremelta (which is a brand name).

I just did an Internet search and Crisco vegetable shortening looks
similar. Can you buy that?

Kathy
Rhonda Anderson

"Jen" > wrote in
:

>> Thank you also to you, Kathy! I love these crispy recipes, and I want
>> to thanks all the people who gave me other ideas.
>> Can I replace "Kremelta" with vegetal margarine?
>> Many Thanks
>> Pandora

> We use something called *Copha* instead, it's a solid white vegetable
> shortening.

Yep, solid coconut oil. Maybe Pandora can get something like that? My
husband can eat Chocolate Crackles by the score. One is enough for me,
which is just as well with all that fat.

I have always preferred Honey Joys. Pandora - this is another cornflake
recipe for you, one from my childhood. And you would have no trouble
getting the ingredients for these. There's probably more than one version
of this recipe, but this is the one from the Kellogs website.

Honey Joys

90g butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon honey
4 cups Kellogg's® Corn Flakes

Preheat oven to 150°C.
Line 24 hole patty pan with paper cases.
Melt butter, sugar and honey together in a saucepan until frothy.
Add Kellogg’s® Corn Flakes and mix well.
Working quickly spoon into paper patty cases.
Bake in a slow oven 150°C for 10 minutes.
Cool.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia