Dimitri

Default Noodles (Ramen)

Last night was a blood drive in my area so on the way home I grabbed a
"double-double" with raw onion from In-N-Out.

After the "donation to the vampires" I got home and wanted a snack.

I ended up with:

1 Package Pork Ramen
1/2 carrot sliced thin
a few onion slices
some shredded cabbage
A few broccoli crowns
A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)

Cooked the whole mess
Drained the mixture reserving the stock
Added some slices of leftover steak a pat of butter and a few shots of "Ramen
Soup Base" and about 1/2 the stock - chucked it into a bowl - grabbed some
disposable chopsticks.

The whole process was about 10 minutes -

I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?

Dimitri

Dimitri wrote:
> Last night was a blood drive in my area so on the way home I grabbed a
> "double-double" with raw onion from In-N-Out.
>
> After the "donation to the vampires" I got home and wanted a snack.
>
> I ended up with:
>
> 1 Package Pork Ramen
> 1/2 carrot sliced thin
> a few onion slices
> some shredded cabbage
> A few broccoli crowns
> A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)
>
> Cooked the whole mess
> Drained the mixture reserving the stock
> Added some slices of leftover steak a pat of butter and a few shots of "Ramen
> Soup Base" and about 1/2 the stock - chucked it into a bowl - grabbed some
> disposable chopsticks.
>
> The whole process was about 10 minutes -
>
> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?
>
> Dimitri

Ramen is one of my staples. This looks very similar to one of my
standards...

pork or oriental flavored ramen (those orientals sure are tasty)
sliced carrot
sliced celery
sliced green onion
red pepper flakes
6-10 shrimps (if memory serves, 35 count...the biggest frozen shrimps
my supermaket sells. Fresh is naturally better, but frozen keeps so
much longer.)
a tablespoon or two of soy sauce
a healthy dash of sesame oil
a dash or so of mirin if I have some

Bring the water (a cup and a half or so), veggies, and pepper flakes to
a boil, add the noodles. when it boils again, add the shrimps and cover
for maybe two minutes. pour into one of my really big bowls and add the
rest of the stuff - it just fits.

If I'm feeling especially bold, I'll add a squirt of what my rommies
and I call "hot cock sauce". I don't recall its real name, but it's
quite popular. It's red, and it comes in a large, clear squeeze bottle
with a picture of a rooster on it. It's very hot and garlicy. I don't
know why there is a picture of a rooster on it.

I never thought of putting shredded cabbage in mine, but that sounds
great.

Oh...and I crumble up the ramen a bit and eat it with a spoon.

b.

Ariane Jenkins

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:16:33 GMT, Dimitri > wrote:
> Last night was a blood drive in my area so on the way home I grabbed a
> "double-double" with raw onion from In-N-Out.
>
> After the "donation to the vampires" I got home and wanted a snack.
>
> I ended up with:
>
> 1 Package Pork Ramen
> 1/2 carrot sliced thin
> a few onion slices
> some shredded cabbage
> A few broccoli crowns
> A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)
>
> Cooked the whole mess
> Drained the mixture reserving the stock
> Added some slices of leftover steak a pat of butter and a few shots of "Ramen
> Soup Base" and about 1/2 the stock - chucked it into a bowl - grabbed some
> disposable chopsticks.
>
> The whole process was about 10 minutes -
>
> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?

We do keep some on hand, although I don't eat it as much as I did in
college. Probably a good thing. ;P

Usually, I start with almost any flavor and add a combination from
this list:

diced mushrooms
bean sprouts
chopped scallions
spinach leaves
leftover cooked meats, if I have any
squirt of hot sauce, spoonful of chili garlic sauce, or some chopped fresh
chilies
sprinkle of fried onions
1 beaten egg

And maybe whatever else looks like it needs cleaning out of the fridge.

Ariane
Seamus

Dimitri wrote:
> Last night was a blood drive in my area so on the way home I grabbed a
> "double-double" with raw onion from In-N-Out.
>
> After the "donation to the vampires" I got home and wanted a snack.
>
> I ended up with:
>
> 1 Package Pork Ramen
> 1/2 carrot sliced thin
> a few onion slices
> some shredded cabbage
> A few broccoli crowns
> A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)
>
> Cooked the whole mess
> Drained the mixture reserving the stock
> Added some slices of leftover steak a pat of butter and a few shots of "Ramen
> Soup Base" and about 1/2 the stock - chucked it into a bowl - grabbed some
> disposable chopsticks.
>
> The whole process was about 10 minutes -
>
> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?
>
> Dimitri

Very simply :

Dash of habenero sauce
Dash of fish sauce
A good pinch of garlic powder
noodles
After 3 minutes,
remove from heat
add 1 beaten egg and flavour packet.
enjoy

a m

Hi the hot sauce is called sriracha Huy Fong Foods make it best stuff
the rooster is the logo Try Sambal Oelek makes awsome dipping sauce when
mixed with a bit of soy sauce or Maggi sauce. Good recipes on their
site. Huy Fong Foods . www.huyfong.com

Chris

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?

Nice of you to donate, Dimitri.

Do all of you use the little flavor packet, or just the noodles?

I keep some ramen handy, but I don't use them often. Emabarrassingly,
sometimes I just cook the noodles (w/o packet), drain, return to pan,
add butter, add a smidge of marinara from a jar, and heat the sauce
through.

Sometimes I make them according to the package directions, w/ no
add-ins. Boring, but comforting. This is for when I really can't be
bothered to cook or even chew.

And sometimes I make that ramen salad with the napa cabbage, green
onions, crunchy dry ramen noodles, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and
toasted almonds. And the soy/sesame oil dressing.

Chris

Sheldon

Dimitri wrote:

> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?

Ramen noodles make a great kugel.

Sheldon

Ramen flavor packet is loaded with sodium.
Why not just use the noodles with leftover or canned low sodium broth
and add the ingredients you described? (Or boil some packaged noodles,
it doesn't take long).

I used to buy ramen noodles till I read the nutrition info.
You could make something better in the same amount of time.

It's called "soup".

-L.

Dimitri wrote:
> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?
>
> Dimitri

We don't. The closest I come is fresh "Asian style" noodles which I
boil quickly and throw into stir-fry.

-L.

Dimitri

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ramen flavor packet is loaded with sodium.
> Why not just use the noodles with leftover or canned low sodium broth
> and add the ingredients you described? (Or boil some packaged noodles,
> it doesn't take long).
>
> I used to buy ramen noodles till I read the nutrition info.
> You could make something better in the same amount of time.
>
> It's called "soup".

Right.

Cabbage
Broccoli
Carrot
Beef
Onion.
A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)
Noodles
Water
all boiled in a pot -

Hmmmm....

Must be Jell-O.

Dimitri

S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Dimitri" > said:

> Last night was a blood drive in my area so on the way home I grabbed a
> "double-double" with raw onion from In-N-Out.

Good for you! I used to donate a lot, but haven't had the health
for it for many years now. (Low iron, among other things.)

> After the "donation to the vampires" I got home and wanted a snack.
>
> I ended up with:
>
> 1 Package Pork Ramen
> 1/2 carrot sliced thin
> a few onion slices
> some shredded cabbage
> A few broccoli crowns
> A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)
>
> Cooked the whole mess
> Drained the mixture reserving the stock
> Added some slices of leftover steak a pat of butter and a few shots of "Ramen
> Soup Base" and about 1/2 the stock - chucked it into a bowl - grabbed some
> disposable chopsticks.
>
> The whole process was about 10 minutes -
>
> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?

Buddy would eat it for every meal if we let him -- I like Pork
Top Ramen (trade name) with bits of leftover pork roast in it.
I let it simmer until the sauce reduces by about half and the
meat is falling apart. Yum...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollup, novice cook ~
aem

-L. wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?
> >
> > Dimitri

> We don't. The closest I come is fresh "Asian style" noodles which I
> boil quickly and throw into stir-fry.

We don't either. There is such a wide variety of good tasting, easily
prepared noodles I have never understood the popularity of packaged
ramen, especially the fat fried kind. All the suggestions for what to
doctor ramen up with would be better with real noodles or pasta. -aem

William Boyd

Dimitri wrote:

> Last night was a blood drive in my area so on the way home I grabbed a
> "double-double" with raw onion from In-N-Out.
>
> After the "donation to the vampires" I got home and wanted a snack.
>
> I ended up with:
>
> 1 Package Pork Ramen
> 1/2 carrot sliced thin
> a few onion slices
> some shredded cabbage
> A few broccoli crowns
> A few frozen vegetables (peas, green beans)
>
> Cooked the whole mess
> Drained the mixture reserving the stock
> Added some slices of leftover steak a pat of butter and a few shots of "Ramen
> Soup Base" and about 1/2 the stock - chucked it into a bowl - grabbed some
> disposable chopsticks.
>
> The whole process was about 10 minutes -
>
> I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?
>
> Dimitri

There is no end to what you can add to Ramen.
I was in the military, a member of a communications unit in the
Philippines and assigned a task to go to Pago Pago, American Samoa.
This job would take us (about 30 GIs) six months or so. That is more
or less a tourist Island with out the familiar grocery stores as we
knew them. But plenty of tourist restraints. Well, one does not live
on the military pay well as it is and definitely not on a resort
island. We transported the communications equipment in there in a
rather large air plane, C-5A. Plenty of room to bring some
provisions with us. The military was going to pay us extra because
of the lack of food available. You might know "Top Ramen" was part
of our shipment. I think we bought all that the military commissary
had 22 cases. Now you cant think of all the ways my guys fixed the
Ramen. With canned Condensed soup, chili, seasoned chopped can
tomatoes. Best thing was baked chicken on a grill wrapped in foil
with Sesame oil salt garlic onions and salt, de-boned, juices and
all. Second was pork country cut ribs baked like the chicken well
done so it would fall apart. Of course there would be several guys
in on each baked package of meat. On the island there was a Tuna
fish cannery and we were able to buy cases of Tuna, supplemented the
Ramen, but I dont think any one put those together. We did boil the
noodles and when done would drain, drench with Sesame oil and fry
slightly, some time we would add something some time we would just
eat it fried about like Thai noodles. We also became friendly, that
is the locals became friendly with us and would fix fried fish on
occasions. The small packs were hardly used at least not all of it.
This was years ago and I know there were many other ways they were
fixed.

--
BILL P.
Just Dog
George

aem wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
>>Dimitri wrote:
>>
>>>I assume you keep some ramen handy - How do you use them?
>>>
>>>Dimitri

>>We don't. The closest I come is fresh "Asian style" noodles which I
>>boil quickly and throw into stir-fry.
>>

> We don't either. There is such a wide variety of good tasting, easily
> prepared noodles I have never understood the popularity of packaged
> ramen, especially the fat fried kind. All the suggestions for what to
> doctor ramen up with would be better with real noodles or pasta. -aem

Us too. We keep a good assortment of noodles from the Asian market on
hand. It probably takes all of 3 minutes more to prepare the non deep
fried noodles which taste much better.
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> wrote:
> > Ramen flavor packet is loaded with sodium.
> > Why not just use the noodles with leftover or canned low sodium broth
> > and add the ingredients you described? (Or boil some packaged noodles,
> > it doesn't take long).
> >
> > I used to buy ramen noodles till I read the nutrition info.
> > You could make something better in the same amount of time.

> Ramen is cheap (10/1$), and a time saver... I consider it pasta that
> cooks up in 1/5 the time. Ramen is already portioned, great for the
> waistline. Ramen is a wonderful way to use left overs that would
> otherwise be forgotten and end up in the trash. Ramen is a good
> vehicle for adding healthful veggies to ones diet... can easily be made
> more nutritious than canned condensed soups. And as to the salt, no
> law says you need to use the entire seasoning packet... I cook up two
> packs of ramen but use only one seasoning packet... with all my
> additions I don't need the second packet. Typically I'll add garlic,
> onion, celery, radish, bok choy, napa, 'shrooms, whatever.
>
> Sheldon

I concur. :-)

I'll also sometimes forego the flavor packet and use my own frozen bone
stock/broth.

I like ramen with quartered hard boiled eggs, a bit of shredded napa
cabbage, chopped green onions and leftover meat of just about any
variety. I cut chicken, pork, beef, emu or venison into strips and add
that, or it's also good with some steamed shrimp. Shredded carrots can
add some color or even a few thinly sliced strips of chile peppers.

Add just a small dash of soy sauce and you are good to go!

Ramen is indeed cheap and easy.

I've not had any for a couple of years tho'. :-( Low carbing. <sigh>
--
Om.

with all my
additions I don't need the second packet. Typically I'll add garlic,
onion, celery, radish, bok choy, napa, 'shrooms, whatever.
Sheldon

You proved my point. You're adding so many good things that you don't
need to use the salt packet. Boil the noodles and leave out the sodium
envelope. Pull apart the left-over roast chicken that's sitting in the
fridge and add that, too. You can add salt after the noodles are
cooked and have a tastier (and healthier) snack.

Sheldon

> with all my
> additions I don't need the second packet. Typically I'll add garlic,
> onion, celery, radish, bok choy, napa, 'shrooms, whatever.
> Sheldon
>
> You proved my point. You're adding so many good things that you don't
> need to use the salt packet. Boil the noodles and leave out the sodium
> envelope. Pull apart the left-over roast chicken that's sitting in the
> fridge and add that, too. You can add salt after the noodles are
> cooked and have a tastier (and healthier) snack.

I really don't think those packets are so terribly unhealthy, most
restaurant foods and stupidmarket prepared foods contain a far higher
ratio of salt... and it's not like I eat ramen every day, perhaps twice
a month is more like it, and I don't prepare ramen during the warm
months. Perhaps I'll consume 12 of those flavor packets a year... I
usually use two packages of noodles but only one flavor packet.

One of my favorite additions is that lonely left over pork chop... when
time is not an issue I cut out the meat and simmer the bone for like 20
minutes, then progress with the soup, adding the meat at the end, that
I've cut into paper thin slices. I also use about twice the water
called for on a package of ramen... sometimnes I thicken it slightly
with cornstarch. I have a particular 2 qt pot I use for ramen, I know
the recipe is correct when nothing else will fit into that pot.

SOUP! SOUP!

YOU'RE MAKING SOUP!

Dimitri

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ramen flavor packet is loaded with sodium.
> Why not just use the noodles with leftover or canned low sodium broth
> and add the ingredients you described? (Or boil some packaged noodles,
> it doesn't take long).

For the most part it is not table salt it is in the form of MSG.

http://www.eufic.org/gb/food/pag/food35/food352.htm

What is monosodium glutamate and where is it found?
Monosodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. Glutamate is a
naturally occurring amino acid that is found in nearly all foods, especially
high protein foods such as dairy products, meat and fish and in many
vegetables. Foods often used for their flavouring properties, such as
mushrooms and tomatoes, have high levels of naturally occurring glutamate.
The human body also produces glutamate and it plays an essential role in
normal body functioning.
monosodium glutamate added to foods produces a flavouring function similar
to the glutamate that occurs naturally in foods. It acts as a flavour
enhancer and adds a fifth taste, called "umami", which is best described as
a savoury, broth-like or meaty taste.

In the European Union, monosodium glutamate is classified as a food additive
(E621) and regulations are in place to determine how and when it can be
added to foods. Typically, monosodium glutamate is added to savoury prepared
and processed foods such as frozen foods, spice mixes, canned and dry soups,
salad dressings and meat or fish-based products. In some countries, it is
used as a table-top seasoning.

How is monosodium glutamate made?
In past times, monosodium glutamate was extracted from natural protein-rich
foods such as seaweed. Today, this time-consuming practice is no longer used
and monosodium glutamate is made from an industrial fermentation process.

Is monosodium glutamate linked to adverse reactions?
Despite a small number of person reporting sensitivity to monosodium
glutamate, scientific studies have not shown any direct link between
monosodium glutamate and adverse reactions. monosodium glutamate used to be
blamed for the "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" because the first anecdotal
report was made following consumption of a Chinese meal and monosodium
glutamate is widely used in Asian cooking. Symptoms said to be experienced
included burning sensations along the back of the neck, chest tightness,
nausea and sweating. However, a double-blind controlled challenge of
individuals claiming to suffer from the "syndrome" failed to confirm
monosodium glutamate as the causative agent. Other studies have found that
allergic-type reactions after Asian meals are more often due to other
ingredients such as shrimp, peanuts, spices and herbs.

If you think you are sensitive to monosodium glutamate or any other food
ingredient, the best advice is to check with your doctor or with a
dietitian.

How much sodium is in monosodium glutamate?
monosodium glutamate contains about one third of the sodium of table salt
and is used in smaller amounts. When monosodium glutamate is used in
combination with a small amount of table salt, it can help to reduce the
total sodium in a recipe by 20 to 40% while maintaining flavour.

Much much more.

Dimitri

Sheldon

Dimitri wrote:
> [...]

> nausea and sweating. However, a double-blind controlled challenge of
> individuals claiming to suffer from the "syndrome" failed to confirm
> monosodium glutamate as the causative agent. Other studies have found that
> allergic-type reactions after Asian meals are more often due to other
> ingredients such as shrimp, peanuts, spices and herbs.
>
> If you think you are sensitive to monosodium glutamate or any other food
> ingredient, the best advice is to check with your doctor or with a
> dietitian.
>
> How much sodium is in monosodium glutamate?
> monosodium glutamate contains about one third of the sodium of table salt
> and is used in smaller amounts. When monosodium glutamate is used in
> combination with a small amount of table salt, it can help to reduce the
> total sodium in a recipe by 20 to 40% while maintaining flavour.

MSG occurs naturally in breast milk... and I'm normal.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> MSG occurs naturally in breast milk... and I'm normal.
>
> Sheldon

<cough>

Ok. ;-D
--
Om.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > MSG occurs naturally in breast milk... and I'm normal.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> <cough>
>
> Ok. ;-D

Now the left one... sorry you can only handle one at a time :-O

Sheldon Cup

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >
> > > MSG occurs naturally in breast milk... and I'm normal.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > <cough>
> >
> > Ok. ;-D

> Now the left one... sorry you can only handle one at a time :-O
>
> Sheldon Cup

<Giggles> Wanna play doctor?
--
Om.

Del Cecchi

wrote:

>>>Ramen flavor packet is loaded with sodium.
>>>Why not just use the noodles with leftover or canned low sodium broth
>>>and add the ingredients you described? (Or boil some packaged
>>>noodles, it doesn't take long).
>>>
>>>I used to buy ramen noodles till I read the nutrition info.
>>>You could make something better in the same amount of time.

>>Ramen is cheap (10/1$), and a time saver... I consider it pasta that
>>cooks up in 1/5 the time. Ramen is already portioned, great for the
>>waistline. Ramen is a wonderful way to use left overs that would
>>otherwise be forgotten and end up in the trash. Ramen is a good
>>vehicle for adding healthful veggies to ones diet... can easily be
>>made more nutritious than canned condensed soups. And as to the
>>salt, no law says you need to use the entire seasoning packet.

> No law says you have to use *any* of the seasoning packet. Get out that
> shaker of Adobo seasoning! Dice up some leftover meat or seafood (steak,
> ham, shrimp, whatever) and dice up the veggies of choice and add some
> low-salt chicken or veggie broth or your own stock of choice. Add more
> herbs and sauces to taste and add salt to taste.
>
> Having said all that, I like Ramen and don't have a problem with salt.
>
> Jill <--Had a handful of Fritos for a snack last night

And you aren't going to make anything healthy out of ramen. Read the
label. That stuff is deep fried.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Dimitri

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message

<snip>

> And you aren't going to make anything healthy out of ramen. Read the label.
> That stuff is deep fried.
>
> --
> Del Cecchi
> "This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
> strategies or opinions.”

Not all.

http://www.instantramen.or.jp/english/index.html

Some are air dried.

Dimitri

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Del Cecchi > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >>Ramen is cheap (10/1$), and a time saver... I consider it pasta that
> >>cooks up in 1/5 the time. Ramen is already portioned, great for the
> >>waistline. Ramen is a wonderful way to use left overs that would
> >>otherwise be forgotten and end up in the trash. Ramen is a good
> >>vehicle for adding healthful veggies to ones diet... can easily be
> >>made more nutritious than canned condensed soups. And as to the
> >>salt, no law says you need to use the entire seasoning packet.

> > No law says you have to use *any* of the seasoning packet. Get out that
> > shaker of Adobo seasoning! Dice up some leftover meat or seafood (steak,
> > ham, shrimp, whatever) and dice up the veggies of choice and add some
> > low-salt chicken or veggie broth or your own stock of choice. Add more
> > herbs and sauces to taste and add salt to taste.
> >
> > Having said all that, I like Ramen and don't have a problem with salt.
> >
> > Jill <--Had a handful of Fritos for a snack last night
> >

> And you aren't going to make anything healthy out of ramen. Read the
> label. That stuff is deep fried.

You can make it semi-healthy by dressing it up with fresh meats and
veggies. ;-)

It's better that way anyway.
--
Om.

Although MSG is a naturally occuring by-product of cooking, the MSG
used in proccessed foods is a refined product, made from industrial
waste.

The amount a person will ingest through ordinary cooking is miniscule
compared to the refined product.

The MSG that is used in processed food is a by-product of industrial
waste.

No one in his/her right mind would use it at home.