FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mirro matic pressure cooker question (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/7027-mirro-matic-pressure-cooker.html)

Anne Duhon 12-06-2004 05:12 AM

Mirro matic pressure cooker question

I have an old one I bought in the 60s. I need a new gasket and safety
fuse. Have never had trouble replacing these parts til now. Hardware
store tells me the part numbers are no longer available but can sell me
a substitute. Have any of you run into this problem? If so, will they
perform as well as the originals?

I thought about replacing the cooker with a new one, but the quality of
those made today just isnt there. Anne

kalanamak 12-06-2004 07:32 AM

Anne Duhon wrote:

> I have an old one I bought in the 60s. I need a new gasket and safety
> fuse. Have never had trouble replacing these parts til now. Hardware
> store tells me the part numbers are no longer available but can sell me
> a substitute. Have any of you run into this problem? If so, will they
> perform as well as the originals?

Broaden your search. Goggle gave me this in about 10 seconds:
http://www.goodmans.net/get_dept_588.htm

Siobhan Perricone 12-06-2004 01:32 PM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:12:12 -0400, (Anne Duhon) wrote:

>I have an old one I bought in the 60s. I need a new gasket and safety
>fuse. Have never had trouble replacing these parts til now. Hardware
>store tells me the part numbers are no longer available but can sell me
>a substitute. Have any of you run into this problem? If so, will they
>perform as well as the originals?
>
>I thought about replacing the cooker with a new one, but the quality of
>those made today just isnt there. Anne

You might want to consider buying a new pressure cooker. Older cookers
simply don't have the same quality of safety features you find in newer
ones. :) Many of them also use less water and are much quieter. :)

I recently bought a Kuhn Rikon 5 quart and I'm very pleased with how much
better it is than the one I bought just seven years ago.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

Dan W 13-06-2004 10:36 PM

In article >, (Anne Duhon) wrote:
>I have an old one I bought in the 60s. I need a new gasket and safety
>fuse. Have never had trouble replacing these parts til now. Hardware
>store tells me the part numbers are no longer available but can sell me
>a substitute. Have any of you run into this problem? If so, will they
>perform as well as the originals?
>
>I thought about replacing the cooker with a new one, but the quality of
>those made today just isnt there. Anne

Good place for info on pressure cookers

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY
(________) Clinical Pharmacist
\ /
| Rx |
/______\

missvickie 29-06-2004 03:46 AM

(Anne Duhon) wrote in message >...
> I thought about replacing the cooker with a new one, but the quality of
> those made today just isnt there. Anne

Dear, you need to get out more! Mirro is very low end. Have you seen
the new 2nd generation pressure cookers, they are so far above the one
you're using that there's no comparison. Look at these features:
http://missvickie.com/library/2ndgenerationvalves.html