Ranee Mueller

Default Looking for a Ricotta Spinach Pie Type Recipe

I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a crust
is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any ideas?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Dimitri

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a crust
> is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
> and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Use the bread dough from the torta rustica - you can also layer some sauteed
onions, shrooms, and about anything else you can think of;

Dimitri

BTW I used bread flour. a big container of ricotta mixed with 2 eggs.

********************************

You can make the entire torta in advance and just heat it up for the dinner.
Choose whatever vegetables look good and fresh at your farmer's market. The
colors of the vegetables -- red peppers, dark green spinach, bright green
artichoke hearts, black olives--are presented vividly when you slice the torta.

INGREDIENTS

DOUGH
2 ½ cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ package quick-rising yeast (3 ½ teaspoons)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 1/4 cups very hot water

FILLING
1 eggplant (1 pound), cut into ½-inch slices
2 onions, diced
1 large organic summer squash, sliced
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
3 tablespoons black olive paste or ¼ cup sliced black olives
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounces fresh spinach, stemmed and washed
3 ounces sliced mozzarella
14 ounces roasted red peppers (jars or home-roasted)
1 can 14-ounce artichoke hearts
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions for Dough
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, holding out 1 cup of flour. Stir to blend.
Add hot water, and mix. Add the remaining flour a bit at a time until the dough
is firm enough to knead. Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting board and
kneed for 10 minutes or so.Cover with a damp towel and set in a warm place.

Directions for Filling
1. Spread a little olive oil on the bottom of a large roast plan. Place cut
eggplant, onions and squash on the pan and bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 15
minutes, or until soft.

2. Place sun-dried tomatoes in a pan and cover with water. Simmer over medium
heat until soft. Drain; puree in a food processor until smooth. Turn out into a
bowl, add the black olive paste, and blend.

3. Saute garlic in oil for about 15 seconds. Add spinach, and stir until wilted.
Let cool.

4. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a rectangle about 14 inches wide by
20 inches long. Spread with the tomato-olive puree, followed by roasted
eggplant, mozzarella, roasted vegetables, spinach, and artichoke hearts.
Sprinkle with Parmesan.

5. Roll up. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Bake until brown, about 30
minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool.

Adapted from a recipe in the November/December 1996 issue of Eating Well
magazine

Andy

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a

crust
> is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
> and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any

ideas?

> Regards,
> Ranee

Stuffed shells?

Andy
Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
>> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
>> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a

> crust
>> is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
>> and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any

> ideas?
>
> Stuffed shells?

Or maybe some kind of crustless 'quiche'?

nancy

Puester

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Ranee Mueller wrote:
>>

>>> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
>>>spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a

>>crust
>>
>>>is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
>>>and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any

>>ideas?
>>
>>Stuffed shells?

> Or maybe some kind of crustless 'quiche'?
>
> nancy

Spinach lasagna?

gloria p

Jude

Do you have any refrigerated dough? I used crescent rolls to make mock
calzones. I also use tortillas ina pinch. Fill with satueed mushrooms
and onions and garlic if you got em, throw in a package of frozen
spinach, and use as filling along with ricotta and a white cheese like
mozzarella or jack or provolone (or the scraps from your fridge)

Or maybe a white pizza using whatever you might have for a
crust....maybe a french-bread pizza, with olive oil, spred with
ricotta, and topeed with sauteed spinach (onions & garlic too)? Or
small English muffin pizzas?

jmcquown

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a
> crust is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs
> and milk, and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan).
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I think you can whip up a sort of casserole. I'm just extrapolating here,
but thaw and well drain the frozen spinach. Whip together the ricotta and a
couple of eggs with a little bit of milk. For seasoning I would add some
pepper (Ricotta tends to be salty so no salt at this point) and ground
nutmeg if you have it. Stir in the spinach to incorporate and pour the
mixture into an appropriately sized casserole dish. If you have any
breadcrumbs, you might sprinkle them on top. I'd bake this at about 350F
for 20-30 minutes until it's set. You'll know when it's done

Jill

Sheryl Rosen

Ranee Mueller at wrote on 9/13/05 7:33 PM:

> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a crust
> is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
> and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Have you got any pasta?
My first thought was some sort of vegetarian lasagna.
You could make a bechamel sauce of sorts (I realize you don't have butter,
but perhaps you can thicken with a slurry of flour and cold milk), easy
enough to mix the cheese with the spinach and some eggs, layer it all with
the bechamel sauce, bake....delicious!

Or maybe stuffed shells, manicotti--even baked ziti with spinach and ricotta
would be delicious.

Have you got any bisquick in the pantry? You could make a crust for a pie
from that.

Frankly, crustless quiche is probably your best bet, someone I think already
suggested that.

Beat half a dozen eggs, mix in the ricotta and drained spinach...onions
would be nice in there, a bit of grated nutmeg....spray a 9 x 13 inch pan
with non-stick spray or otherwise grease the pan, pour into the pan and bake
until set in the middle. I would top with any shredded cheese you might
have in the house. I usually have some type of cheese other than ricotta.

Oh, here's another thought.....a savory cheesecake. You could mix
breadcrumbs with some oil or butter. Or use bisquick or an oil-based crust.
(There's a recipe in Fannie Farmer for an oil based crust, also Joy of
cooking, most basic cookbooks have one, if you need one, I'll be happy to
post one.) Then mix the beaten eggs with the cheese and veggies...bake.

All variations on the same theme.
--
---
Love like you've never been hurt

Paul M. Cook

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a crust
> is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
> and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

How about a spinach pie made with fillo dough? Use any spanikopita recipe
and just add ricotta to it.

Off the top of my head I'd use 1 pound of ricotta, a half cup parmesian,
chopped dill, 4 oz crumbled feta, 4 eggs, some lemon juice, a touch of salt
and pepper and nutmeg then stir it all up. Then add your precooked and
drained (squeezed in a towel or cheese cloth would be best) spinach that you
have chopped very fine and sauteed with some finely chopped scallions. Melt
a stick or 2 of butter and brush it into a baking dish. Lay down a sheet of
phyllo, more bustter, more phyllo, say 4 layers, then add the spinach
mixture, layer with more phyllo and butter, fold over the edges, a couple
more layers of phyllo and butter. With a sharp knife cut into 6 equal
pieces, bake at 350 for about 3/4 hour.

Paul

Pandora

"Ranee Mueller" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I am cooking out of the pantry this week, and I have some frozen
> spinach and some ricotta in the fridge. I'm short on butter, so a crust
> is probably not in the works for this. We have lots of eggs and milk,
> and I'd like to keep this vegetarian (obviously not vegan). Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

You can do Cannelloni or Crêpes filled with ricotta and spinach.
For cannelloni you must make a dough with 1 egg and 1 hg of flour per
person.
Then make rectangules of pasta you will fill with:
Ricotta, 1-2 eggs, nutmeg, salt, pepper and chopped preboiled spinach. Put
1-2 tbs of this mixture over the rectangule of pasta, and make a sort of
roulade.
Put cannelloni in a baking pan, season with tomatoes sauce and Reggiano.
Then put in hot oven for about 20 minutes.
Same thing for crêpes.
If you want a good recipe for Crêpes tell me. I will make Crêpes Ricotta and
spinach today or tomorrow!
Cheers
Pandora

Ranee Mueller

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have a lot of recipes in my
file now. I ended up making a rich egg souffle type thing with the
ricotta, 10 eggs, spinach, garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg and some
parmesan grated over the top. It was enjoyed.