jmcquown

Default Who said Chicken Divan?

I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when we're
at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it have to be
baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on top of the
stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the crumb coating would
get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the
broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for the home away from
home

Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both love
chicken, broccoli and cheese

Jill
--
The person who rows the boat seldom has time to rock it

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 09 Sep 2005 12:38:46a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when
> we're at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it
> have to be baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on
> top of the stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the
> crumb coating would get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in
> the sauce with the broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas
> for the home away from home
>
> Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
> delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both love
> chicken, broccoli and cheese
>
> Jill

I can't see why not, Jill. If you want some crunch, you might try some of
those packaged crunchy salad toppings sprinkled on before serving.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Kate B

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when

we're
> at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it have to be
> baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on top of the
> stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the crumb coating

would
> get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the
> broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for the home away

from
> home
>
> Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
> delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both love
> chicken, broccoli and cheese
>
> Jill

When my SO was in Texarkana (not a very restaurant friendly town IMHO) for a
very extended stay I purchased a toaster oven and a two burner hot plate.
Some of the very easy meals I made (using only the two burners) included
breaded chicken cutlets (pounded to about 1/4 inch thick), dipped in lightly
beaten egg, pan fried in oil, drained on paper towels and finished with a
quick lemon, butter and caper sauce. Pasta with pesto (boil, drain and mix
with sauce). Pasta with quick marinara sauce. Pasta with puttanesca sauce
(saute a fair amount of minced garlic in olive oil, add chopped, rinsed, oil
packed anchovies and red pepper flakes till anchovies dissolve, add
tomatoes, capers and pitted kalamata olives and simmer for about 20
minutes). Fritattas and omelets using many varied ingredients. Quesadillas
(saute Mexican chorizo and drain, saute sliced onions and sliced poblanos -
in the chorizo fat if you want - cut chunks of Chihuahua cheese or queso
fresco and nuke in microwave, warm tortilla in microwave or on the stove,
fill with desired quantity of the above, add a little bottled salsa, fold
tortilla and enjoy! Substitute sauted chicken for chorizo. Pork tenderloin
cut on the diagonal to about 1/3rd inch slices then pounded, dipped in
lightly beaten egg and breaded in a coating of grated gruyere and bread
crumbs and pan fried in a hot neutral oil (canola, peanut, corn etc.) and
topped with a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Just a few thoughts.

Kate

biig

Kate B wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when

> we're
> > at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it have to be
> > baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on top of the
> > stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the crumb coating

> would
> > get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the
> > broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for the home away

> from
> > home
> >
> > Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
> > delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both love
> > chicken, broccoli and cheese
> >
> > Jill

> When my SO was in Texarkana (not a very restaurant friendly town IMHO) for a
> very extended stay I purchased a toaster oven and a two burner hot plate.
> Some of the very easy meals I made (using only the two burners) included
> breaded chicken cutlets (pounded to about 1/4 inch thick), dipped in lightly
> beaten egg, pan fried in oil, drained on paper towels and finished with a
> quick lemon, butter and caper sauce. Pasta with pesto (boil, drain and mix
> with sauce). Pasta with quick marinara sauce. Pasta with puttanesca sauce
> (saute a fair amount of minced garlic in olive oil, add chopped, rinsed, oil
> packed anchovies and red pepper flakes till anchovies dissolve, add
> tomatoes, capers and pitted kalamata olives and simmer for about 20
> minutes). Fritattas and omelets using many varied ingredients. Quesadillas
> (saute Mexican chorizo and drain, saute sliced onions and sliced poblanos -
> in the chorizo fat if you want - cut chunks of Chihuahua cheese or queso
> fresco and nuke in microwave, warm tortilla in microwave or on the stove,
> fill with desired quantity of the above, add a little bottled salsa, fold
> tortilla and enjoy! Substitute sauted chicken for chorizo. Pork tenderloin
> cut on the diagonal to about 1/3rd inch slices then pounded, dipped in
> lightly beaten egg and breaded in a coating of grated gruyere and bread
> crumbs and pan fried in a hot neutral oil (canola, peanut, corn etc.) and
> topped with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
>
> Just a few thoughts.
>
> Kate

I found a two burner hot plate, like new, and an older toaster oven
in excellent shape last summer at yard sales.....bargoons....a good
investment for our camper. The toaster oven made a very nice meat loaf
and I've done crescent rolls in it too. Lots of choices that way.

Sharon
Joseph Littleshoes

jmcquown wrote:

> I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when
> we're
> at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it have to
> be
> baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on top of
> the
> stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the crumb coating
> would
> get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the
> broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for the home
> away from
> home
>
> Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
> delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both
> love
> chicken, broccoli and cheese
>
> Jill

Boil or microwave the boneless skinless breast of chicken, dice and add
to the rest of the ingredients, also, try using half & half to make the
sauce with, a little parm or other cheese in the half & half and simmer
for a few minutes then pour over the assembled dish.

Half & half (American half cream half milk commercial product) works
well for quick sauces, thickens up nicely on its own with out a roux and
an additon of cheese to the half & half is very tasty.
---
JL

> --
> The person who rows the boat seldom has time to rock it

sf

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 02:38:46 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when we're
> at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it have to be
> baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on top of the
> stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the crumb coating would
> get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the
> broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for the home away from
> home
>
> Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
> delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both love
> chicken, broccoli and cheese

I didn't know it's supposed to have a crumbcoating. Why not leave it
off?

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 02:38:46 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make
>> when we're at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month.
>> Does it have to be baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be
>> cooked slowly on top of the stove? I can't really see why not
>> (other than maybe the crumb coating would get soggy after simmering
>> the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the broccoli). I'm trying
>> to come up with some new ideas for the home away from home
>>
>> Chicken Parm on the stove-top has been tried, tested and found to be
>> delicious but something else would be nice to include. And we both
>> love chicken, broccoli and cheese
>>

> I didn't know it's supposed to have a crumbcoating. Why not leave it
> off?

The recipes I've seen (baked) call for a crumb topping, which is why I
figured I'd coat and then pan-fry the chicken breasts until they were
browned and crispy and proceed from there.

Jill

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I'm thinking this would be one of those things I could maybe make when we're
> at the Extended Stay Suites at the end of the month. Does it have to be
> baked? We won't have an oven. Could it be cooked slowly on top of the
> stove? I can't really see why not (other than maybe the crumb coating would
> get soggy after simmering the pan-fried chicken in the sauce with the
> broccoli). I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for the home away from
> home

This may be too late for you, but I don't do a crumb topping on mine
and I serve it over rice. So, you could arguably slow cook it on the
stove. Though, if you did that, I would only partially cook the sauce
and add everything else to it to heat up while the sauce finished
thickening, so it wouldn't be dark and gloppy.

Regards,
Ranee (who is coincidentally eating this tonight)

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

chicken divan and...? val189 General Cooking 11 26-02-2007 04:50 PM
Quick Chicken Divan Tamara L Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2006 02:49 AM
Chicken Divan Marita Blessing Recipes (moderated) 0 19-01-2006 02:28 AM
Chicken Divan Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-04-2005 02:41 PM
Quick Chicken Divan pat Recipes (moderated) 0 21-08-2004 10:03 PM